Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 6:47 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reaching for the stars, finally - will the young ones among us get pics of Alpha C.?
Reaching for the stars, finally - will the young ones among us get pics of Alpha C.?
This is pretty cool: shooting small probes across  space by pushing them with lasers positioned near earth will allow to reach velocities unconstrained by the rocket equation. Near light speed becomes thinkable.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/13/scienc....html?_r=0

NY Times Wrote:Within two minutes, the probes would be more than 600,000 miles from home — as far as the lasers could maintain a tight beam — and moving at a fifth of the speed of light. But it would still take 20 years for them to get to Alpha Centauri. Those that survived would zip past the star system, making measurements and beaming pictures back to Earth.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

RE: Reaching for the stars, finally - will the young ones among us get pics of Alpha C.?
I'm assuming the laser source would be at like L2 or L1, or even multiple sources launched intermittently to different solar orbits. The problem is going to be power, it'd likely have to be nuclear if we're pushing that much wattage, right?

I wonder what the beam width would have to be, and how much attenuation would result over those distances?

ETA: there's no way we would have an array of lasers on earth's surface, right?
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
RE: Reaching for the stars, finally - will the young ones among us get pics of Alpha C.?
(April 13, 2016 at 4:59 am)Alex K Wrote: This is pretty cool: shooting small probes across  space by pushing them with lasers positioned near earth will allow to reach velocities unconstrained by the rocket equation. Near light speed becomes thinkable.

Yes, this was on the BBC news last night plus an interview with Hawking. Presumably the receiver would need to redirect the force of the laser otherwise it would get pushed all over the place as the earths position in space moves. I wonder if they have any estimates of the chances of a tiny probe not hitting anything as it escapes the solar system.

The engineering of this would be one of the greatest achievements in our history.
I just read the article. So it's an initial impulse, not a continuous beam.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
(April 13, 2016 at 6:05 am)SteelCurtain Wrote: I just read the article. So it's an initial impulse, not a continuous beam.

Yes, but it has to go for a while to get the object up to speed. Initially, only a minuscule fraction of the energy of the beam gets converted to actual movement. Almost all of it will be reflected. I've done a back of the envelope calculation:
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.

and I get that to reach 1 g acceleration with a 1 kg probe, one needs to reflect roughly 1.4 Gigawatt off of it.

1 g is of course a lot. To reach 1% of light speed, one takes a bit more than three days.

This all scales linearly, so if you have just 100 megawatts and a 10 kg probe, you'd need 300 days of boosting.

I hope I haven't messed up the calculation.

The article says it'll be 600k miles away after minutes. That's a large acceleration.

(April 13, 2016 at 6:19 am)SteelCurtain Wrote: The article says it'll be 600k miles away after minutes. That's a large acceleration.

Yes, if you constantly accelerate with 1 g, you reach 1 million kilometers distance at the 240 minute (four hour) mark because distance goes quadratic with time. But by that time you will go 140 km / second. That's twice as fast as the fastest probe ever, but still a factor 2000 away from light speed. That's why to get to 1 percent light speed, I got 80 hours rather than four.

I don't understand the two minutes. That must be with a very light probe or a very big laser, or I have a mistake in my calculation Smile

Edit:

Reading the article again, it seems that they aim for a probe which is much lighter than 1 kg. Still, the number they mention (1 million km in 2 minutes) requires a ridiculous g factor. I get like g 14000 . Can anyone confirm this?

Building a sail which doesn't burst if you do this sounds hard. If the pressure is just a bit uneven, it is going to go poof.

The animation showed a laser array of maybe tens or hundreds of radio telescope sized lasers.

It still seems more rational to have an array of lasers in space that continuously accelerate the probe, but the logistics of that would likely be impossible.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Thunderstorms Are Awesome ! (Pics) The Architect Of Fate 7 689 December 10, 2020 at 6:32 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  Maybe this will shut creationists up finally dyresand 34 5101 April 27, 2016 at 12:46 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  We can dare to dream of the stars again, if only we can achieve this small thing. Annik 49 18187 May 17, 2012 at 5:21 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  We're Finally Going to Confirm It... thesummerqueen 11 2436 October 23, 2011 at 7:36 pm
Last Post: Violet