Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 17, 2024, 9:17 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Most Humans Do NOT Have Completely Frree Will
Most Humans Do NOT Have Completely Frree Will
This is a totally secular discussion and has nothing to do with god.

First, I should start by defining what I mean by free will. You may not agree with my definition. In that case we are not talking about the same thing and should use different terminology for different concepts if we want to communicate effect. Arguing over the one true definition of “free will” will get us nowhere. So I will describe a concept which I will here designate “Free Will.”

But even before I do that, I find that I must define “will.” I differentiate between will and desire. It is my will to stay healthy and have a reasonable amount of weight. It is my desire to eat as much chocolate as I can get my hands on. So my will is that falulty which once informed about the outcomes available to me chosen outcome. Whereas desire is what brings a moment of pleasure irrespective of the final outcome.

A free will then is one which is first informed and then not overwhelmed by contradictory desires.

Based on these definitions, I conclude that humans do not have free will.

1. We are often required to choose actions when we don’t know the outcome. To choose an action without information is not an exercise of the will, even if those who have power over you to force you to make such chooses insist on holding us responsible for those chooses.
2. Most of us know that scratching mosquito bites does not stop the itching. We tell ourselves every summer that we will not scratch. Yet, we do it anyway, knowing that scratching may cause the bite to sting and get infected. We can’t even say we do it because we want relief, for it brings no respite. We have information about the outcome, but our will is overwhelmed by the desire to scratch.
The god who allows children to be raped out of respect for the free will choice of the rapist, but punishes gay men for engaging in mutually consensual sex couldn't possibly be responsible for an intelligently designed universe.

I may defend your right to free speech, but i won't help you pass out flyers.

Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.
--Voltaire

Nietzsche isn't dead. How do I know he lives? He lives in my mind.
RE: Most Humans Do NOT Have Completely Frree Will
No humans have even remotely free will.
It's like atheists are on a mission to hamster that there isn't any free will because it somehow discredits Bible.
I tossed a coin and picked the tub of strawberry icecream instead of chocolate!

I removed any preconceived notions of free will and let another agency decide my fate!

(mind you, I had to do a best of 5 before I got my random desired unbiased outcome!)
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
(April 13, 2016 at 11:06 pm)pool the great Wrote: It's like atheists are on a mission to hamster that there isn't any free will because it somehow discredits Bible.

It's like most people believe there is one because they've never thought it through or they don't want to.
(April 13, 2016 at 10:54 pm)Evie Wrote: No humans have even remotely free will.

Sure I do.  I go to the candy aisle, look at the choices available, and choose the one I like.  Freely.
(April 13, 2016 at 11:32 pm)Evie Wrote:
(April 13, 2016 at 11:06 pm)pool the great Wrote: It's like atheists are on a mission to hamster that there isn't any free will because it somehow discredits Bible.

It's like most people believe there is one because they've never thought it through or they don't want to.

Yeah, nice straw.
I was introduced to the concept of free will from here on AF. So my default assumption was there was no free will since that was the popular stance over here, I thought about it figured out I was wrong and have concluded from then on that free will does indeed exist.
(April 13, 2016 at 11:51 pm)bennyboy Wrote:
(April 13, 2016 at 10:54 pm)Evie Wrote: No humans have even remotely free will.

Sure I do.  I go to the candy aisle, look at the choices available, and choose the one I like.  Freely.

We've been through this before.

You just add the "freely" part on the end without reason. As for the rest, so what?

The whole point is that the decisions we make are not freely chosen, not that we don't make the choices.
(April 13, 2016 at 11:53 pm)pool the great Wrote: Yeah, nice straw.  
I was introduced to the concept of free will from here on AF. So my default assumption was there was no free will since that was the popular stance over here, I thought about it figured out I was wrong and have concluded from then on that free will does indeed exist.

Science is against free will, logic is against free will.
By how you defined it? Yes your correct.

Is this intellectual masturbation? Yes it is.
"I'm thick." - Me

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Are the animals luckier than humans? TrueNorth 13 811 August 19, 2022 at 11:37 am
Last Post: Macoleco
  On theism, why do humans have moral duties even if there are objective moral values? Pnerd 37 3122 May 24, 2022 at 11:49 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Do humans have inherent value? Macoleco 39 2125 June 14, 2021 at 1:58 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  My House Did not have a Builder (or did it?) Dan Brooks 180 25665 January 8, 2018 at 1:09 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Humans are scum ApeNotKillApe 39 10088 May 24, 2016 at 5:16 pm
Last Post: abaris
  Do Humans have a Natural State? Shining_Finger 13 2497 April 1, 2016 at 4:42 am
Last Post: robvalue
  What could Redeem Humans? Shining_Finger 72 8955 December 6, 2015 at 10:01 am
Last Post: DespondentFishdeathMasochismo
  Do Humans Have Compulsary Will? Which best describes your take on 'will'? Whateverist 100 10957 June 11, 2015 at 8:29 am
Last Post: Whateverist
  Moral law in Humans and other animals The Reality Salesman01 13 4040 February 28, 2015 at 1:32 am
Last Post: The Reality Salesman01
  Humans BrokenQuill92 4 1258 January 22, 2014 at 5:59 am
Last Post: Odysseus