Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 11:06 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Shrink"
"Shrink"
I wonder why do you Americans call your psychologists "shrinks"? I Googled that word but I couldn't find an answer why. All I found was an explanation it's some sort of an insult to those who practice that profession.
[Image: OAsWbDZ.png]
RE: "Shrink"
Head Shrinker. I don't think it's meant to be an insult.
If The Flintstones have taught us anything, it's that pelicans can be used to mix cement.

-Homer Simpson
"Shrink" is a verb meaning to make something smaller. That's why this word puzzles me - what is it that needs to be made smaller in psychology? I don't get it.
[Image: OAsWbDZ.png]
In the 1940's "mind blower" was not politically correct.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
I always figured it was because they shrink themselves in order to "get inside your head".
It was just a guess, though.
I've given up on getting to the deeper meanings of any word we use in our daily conversations. I have a hard time figuring out where some words in my own language are coming from. Just recently I learned the true origin of one of our proverbs and how it came to be. Took me more than 50 years of using it without giving it any second thought.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
(April 15, 2016 at 5:36 pm)rado84 Wrote: "Shrink" is a verb meaning to make something smaller. That's why this word puzzles me - what is it that needs to be made smaller in psychology? I don't get it.

http://www.worldwidewords.org/qa/qa-shr1.htm
If The Flintstones have taught us anything, it's that pelicans can be used to mix cement.

-Homer Simpson
(April 15, 2016 at 6:15 pm)Mermaid Wrote:
(April 15, 2016 at 5:36 pm)rado84 Wrote: "Shrink" is a verb meaning to make something smaller. That's why this word puzzles me - what is it that needs to be made smaller in psychology? I don't get it.

http://www.worldwidewords.org/qa/qa-shr1.htm

Seems logical.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
nuff said:

[Image: il_570xN.418402514_126f.jpg]
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

A lot of people in Britain call them shrinks too.