Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 7:26 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bill Maher Says It. Tax the Fucking Churches!
Bill Maher Says It. Tax the Fucking Churches!
http://www.rawstory.com/2016/04/bill-mah...magic-act/

Watch the video.
RE: Bill Maher Says It. Tax the Fucking Churches!
That was epic.
Disclaimer: I am only responsible for what I say, not what you choose to understand. 
(November 14, 2018 at 8:57 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: Have a good day at work.  If we ever meet in a professional setting, let me answer your question now.  Yes, I DO want fries with that.
Of course, there's an option to taxing churches. Allow them to keep their tax-exempt status, in return for which no churches or church members may access publicly-funded utilities or services. This means that no one may drive to church on a road built with tax monies, may connect to an electrical grid built with tax money, or may send their children to publically-funded schools. Further, no church or church member may call on the services of the police or the fire brigade, or utilize publically financed medical services. They may not ride a train (surface or underground) or a bus operated or subsidized by any level of government. They may not take part in government insurance or pension schemes, and may not seek help from government authorities in times of disaster.

I cannot enter my local cinema without buying a ticket, so I fail to see why accepting a delusional fairy tale should allow religionists to make me buy their ticket for them (this bit is a metaphor - it isn't really about cinema tickets).

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(April 16, 2016 at 4:37 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: Of course, there's an option to taxing churches.  Allow them to keep their tax-exempt status, in return for which no churches or church members may access publicly-funded utilities or services.  This means that no one may drive to church on a road built with tax monies, may connect to an electrical grid built with tax money, or may send their children to publically-funded schools.  Further, no church or church member may call on the services of the police or the fire brigade, or utilize publically financed medical services.  They may not ride a train (surface or underground) or a bus operated or subsidized by any level of government.  They may not take part in government insurance or pension schemes, and may not seek help from government authorities in times of disaster.

I cannot enter my local cinema without buying a ticket, so I fail to see why accepting a delusional fairy tale should allow religionists to make me buy their ticket for them (this bit is a metaphor - it isn't really about cinema tickets).

Boru
You forgot the big one:  no church member can be a politician or public official of any kind.
(April 16, 2016 at 4:15 pm)Wyrd of Gawd Wrote:
(April 16, 2016 at 4:37 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: Of course, there's an option to taxing churches.  Allow them to keep their tax-exempt status, in return for which no churches or church members may access publicly-funded utilities or services.  This means that no one may drive to church on a road built with tax monies, may connect to an electrical grid built with tax money, or may send their children to publically-funded schools.  Further, no church or church member may call on the services of the police or the fire brigade, or utilize publically financed medical services.  They may not ride a train (surface or underground) or a bus operated or subsidized by any level of government.  They may not take part in government insurance or pension schemes, and may not seek help from government authorities in times of disaster.

Boru
You forgot the big one:  no church member can be a politician or public official of any kind.

Would you extend that to others who don't pay taxes -- say, the poor?

The poor pay plenty of taxes...especially the regressive kind like sales and gasoline taxes that hit them harder than rich motherfuckers.  There's nothing the republicunts like better than regressive taxation.
(April 16, 2016 at 6:54 pm)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:
(April 16, 2016 at 4:15 pm)Wyrd of Gawd Wrote: You forgot the big one:  no church member can be a politician or public official of any kind.

Min beat me to it - the poor - depending on how you define them - pay taxes of several sorts. But even if they didn't, the cases aren't parallel. The poor (here, at least) are exempt from certain taxes because they cannot afford to pay them. Religious organisations are exempt from certain taxes even when they can afford to pay them.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(April 16, 2016 at 6:54 pm)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:
(April 16, 2016 at 4:15 pm)Wyrd of Gawd Wrote: You forgot the big one:  no church member can be a politician or public official of any kind.

Are poor people politicians or public officials?
Not in this reality!

Big Grin
(April 16, 2016 at 10:39 pm)Wyrd of Gawd Wrote:
(April 16, 2016 at 6:54 pm)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: Would you extend that to others who don't pay taxes -- say, the poor?

Are poor people politicians or public officials?

Is/ought fallacy spotted.

Quit dissimulating, and quit thinking with your typical sloppiness, and answer the question, rather than focus on one example offered.

If you need me to repost it because you can't find it in the above quote, let me know.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Islam itself says Muhammad is a liar Woah0 41 3140 August 27, 2022 at 1:34 pm
Last Post: Eclectic
  OK Bill to allow parents to sue teachers if they teach anything that opposes religion Cecelia 28 2028 February 20, 2022 at 3:58 pm
Last Post: Ferrocyanide
  Churches need to be taxed Foxaèr 12 643 July 16, 2020 at 11:32 am
Last Post: Porcupine
Thumbs Up Taoism Says That Everything Has an Opposite Philos_Tone 37 4485 November 20, 2018 at 8:35 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  Bill Maher: New Rules 9-28-18 Minimalist 1 767 September 29, 2018 at 5:47 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Montreal is taxing churches Foxaèr 4 672 June 23, 2018 at 10:07 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  I Can Just Hear All Churches Shitting Bricks On This One Minimalist 40 7176 December 7, 2017 at 5:00 am
Last Post: Little Rik
  Is He Fucking Kidding Me? Minimalist 3 1315 September 10, 2017 at 7:00 am
Last Post: brewer
  Personal experience says religious folks are more prone to mental diseases ErGingerbreadMandude 20 7768 August 9, 2017 at 11:11 am
Last Post: Astonished
  Funny Highlights from Ken Ham vs Bill Nye Salty Science 7 2267 January 27, 2017 at 9:20 am
Last Post: brewer