Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 8:20 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Frog probability
Frog probability
Okay, so there is a special species of frog. It is impossible for you to tell the difference between the males and females, however male frogs croak and females do not. You hear a croak and then see two frogs sitting together. What is the probability that one of them is a female? Have a look at the TED-Ed video and see what you think:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpwSGsb-rTs

Now have a look at MindYourDecisions/Presh Talwalkar clip which comes up with a different answer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=go3xtDdsNQM

So my question to you is which of the above is correct?

My answer ...

For Religion & Health see:[/b][/size] Williams & Sternthal. (2007). Spirituality, religion and health: Evidence and research directions. Med. J. Aust., 186(10), S47-S50. -LINK

The WIN/Gallup End of Year Survey 2013 found the US was perceived to be the greatest threat to world peace by a huge margin, with 24% of respondents fearful of the US followed by: 8% for Pakistan, and 6% for China. This was followed by 5% each for: Afghanistan, Iran, Israel, North Korea. -LINK

"That's disgusting. There were clean athletes out there that have had their whole careers ruined by people like Lance Armstrong who just bended thoughts to fit their circumstances. He didn't look up cheating because he wanted to stop, he wanted to justify what he was doing and to keep that continuing on." - Nicole Cooke
RE: Frog probability
I wouldn't have eaten the mushroom.

I win.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Didn't watch the video.

It's 67% though.
I think I don't get statistics, because the 67% seems like BS to me.

It's like, if I heard that someone in a room flipped a coin and got heads, I wouldn't go into a two-coin room thinking the chances of the 2nd coin being either state would be different than 50%.
One of the possibilities can be eliminated because there cannot be two females. 2/3 =~ 67%
If there were two male frogs wouldn't there have been two croaks?
I'm just saying this because if someone is going to assume a single croak equals a single male frog then isn't it reasonable to assume two croaks means two frogs? If there is only one croak then doesn't that mean there is only one male frog?

So my answer is 100%

Didn't watch the videos, what's it say?
(April 22, 2016 at 11:07 am)Cthulhu Dreaming Wrote: One of the possibilities can be eliminated because there cannot be two females.  2/3 =~ 67%

Yeah I see, you are assigning ordinal values to the two frogs:

MM
MF
FM

But this seems too virtual for me, since it doesn't matter which frog is the first or second.  So I see it as:
MM
MF

The not-calling frog, whichever one it happens to be, is either male or female.  So you can put that guy in the first slot, and your left with only one frog to think about.

I feel I'm wrong, but I can't accept it. Big Grin
No. A single croak only means that there is necessarily at least one male.
(April 22, 2016 at 11:42 am)bennyboy Wrote: I feel I'm wrong, but I can't accept it. Big Grin

Well, and least you're right about something. Tongue
(April 22, 2016 at 11:42 am)Cthulhu Dreaming Wrote: No. A single croak only means that there is necessarily at least one male.

Yes, that's what I'm saying. A single croak meaning a single male frog implies a double croak meaning two frogs.
How do you know there were two frogs and they croaked simultaneously making it sound like a single croak?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What's the probability that 3 out of 23 people will share the same birthday? FlatAssembler 28 3143 February 16, 2022 at 12:15 am
Last Post: Paleophyte
  Probability question: names in hats robvalue 78 10072 March 19, 2016 at 6:39 pm
Last Post: emjay
  The role of probability in solving the Monty Hall problem Excited Penguin 209 12457 March 15, 2016 at 4:30 am
Last Post: robvalue
  The probability of the accuracy of probability itself? Etc. Edwardo Piet 15 6257 February 9, 2009 at 1:54 pm
Last Post: chatpilot
  Evidence and probability go hand in hand? Edwardo Piet 13 5546 November 7, 2008 at 9:46 am
Last Post: Darwinian
  Probability and Evidence. Edwardo Piet 9 5617 October 15, 2008 at 2:15 pm
Last Post: josef rosenkranz