Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 20, 2024, 7:00 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I'm sick of my country
I'm sick of my country
So, we had the first round of presidential elections today and it turned out the far right candidate came in first. That, to clarify matters, isn't a simple rightwing populist, that's a german nationalist with a past of being apologetic towards the Hitler regime. Now, the president isn't a very powerful office in Austria, but with the very real chance of a far right/right coalition after the next general elections, checks and balances are out of the window, with the possibility of changes to the constitution. In short, we're going down the Hungarian or Polish shitter next.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-36124256
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
RE: I'm sick of my country
Hmmm, a German nationalist would probably be sidelined in Germany. So Unlike in 1938, this time country might actually be better off if it were absorbed by Germany.
Democracy. If it's what the people want, it's what they get.
(April 24, 2016 at 11:58 am)Anomalocaris Wrote: Unlike in 1938, this time country might actually be better off if it were absorbed by Germany.

But not by that kind of Germany this guy dreams of.
(April 24, 2016 at 11:58 am)Bella Morte Wrote: Democracy. If it's what the people want, it's what they get.

No.  Democracy is where you calibrate people's expectations and modulate their intelligence to the point where they can be trivially menipulationated into agreeing with what you want and revolt against what you don't want.
(April 24, 2016 at 11:59 am)abaris Wrote:
(April 24, 2016 at 11:58 am)Anomalocaris Wrote: Unlike in 1938, this time country might actually be better off if it were absorbed by Germany.

But not by that kind of Germany this guy dreams of.

No. And the irony is he would get nowhere if he was actually in Germany.
(April 24, 2016 at 12:00 pm)Anomalocaris Wrote:
(April 24, 2016 at 11:58 am)Bella Morte Wrote: Democracy. If it's what the people want, it's what they get.

No.  Democracy is where you lower the people intelligence to the point where they are easily takes into agreeing with what you want.

Okay, what's your alternative to democracy then?
I'm not surprised we're starting to see this happen in Europe, and it'll happen in more countries yet. The far-right have become really savvy in marketing themselves to the working and middle classes, by co-opting traditionally leftist language of "rights" and "freedoms".

It's all "freedom" and "rights" until they get into power and start throwing the people who supported them under the bus, naturally. I wish more people could see through the bullshit.
"Adulthood is like looking both ways before you cross the road, and then getting hit by an airplane"  - sarcasm_only

"Ironically like the nativist far-Right, which despises multiculturalism, but benefits from its ideas of difference to scapegoat the other and to promote its own white identity politics; these postmodernists, leftists, feminists and liberals also use multiculturalism, to side with the oppressor, by demanding respect and tolerance for oppression characterised as 'difference', no matter how intolerable."
- Maryam Namazie

(April 24, 2016 at 12:01 pm)Bella Morte Wrote:
(April 24, 2016 at 12:00 pm)Anomalocaris Wrote: No.  Democracy is where you lower the people intelligence to the point where they are easily takes into agreeing with what you want.

Okay, what's your alternative to democracy then?

Another democracy where people want what I want them to want, instead of what someone else want them to want.
We always managed to have reputable presidents, since the office got introduced after WWI. Even the clerical office holder when Hitler was on the horizon, was the last line of constitutional defense against the madness in refusing to resign when being threatened. Only exemption being Waldheim, although he wasn't as bad as some made him up to be. He was an idiot, but he certainly wasn't a nazi.

That would change big time, if that piece of shit was to win the run-off in 4 weeks time.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Trump threaten to flee the country Anomalocaris 40 2957 October 21, 2020 at 5:30 pm
Last Post: Cecelia
  Trump was just advertising for a drug for COVID; he wasn't sick WinterHold 36 2313 October 17, 2020 at 12:39 am
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  Your country's economy in a nutshell ignoramus 28 2148 July 21, 2019 at 4:25 pm
Last Post: Cod
  Way to go Country Music. Brian37 0 424 March 5, 2018 at 10:29 am
Last Post: Brian37
  I'm Sick of this Thoughts And Prayers, Horseshit Minimalist 63 10610 October 5, 2017 at 11:21 pm
Last Post: chimp3
  Taiwan is the first Asian country to legalize gay marriage Foxaèr 10 4779 May 24, 2017 at 9:05 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Would the WLB Sell The Country Out? Minimalist 2 790 May 22, 2017 at 10:34 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Keep Palin out of my country Amarok 68 16632 February 15, 2017 at 2:24 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  I am getting sick of this argument. Brian37 0 689 February 27, 2015 at 8:05 am
Last Post: Brian37
  Another manufactured country controversy Natachan 12 2467 February 5, 2015 at 8:16 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus