Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 9:37 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thoughts
Thoughts
This is quite similiar to free will but: Do you believe we control our thoughts or do our thoughts control us?
RE: Thoughts
(April 24, 2016 at 2:17 pm)RozKek Wrote: This is quite similiar to free will but: Do you believe we control our thoughts or do our thoughts control us?

I think Karl Pilkington covered this topic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8n2jcrQY5o

Are you ready for the fire? We are firemen. WE ARE FIREMEN! The heat doesn’t bother us. We live in the heat. We train in the heat. It tells us that we’re ready, we’re at home, we’re where we’re supposed to be. Flames don’t intimidate us. What do we do? We control the flame. We control them. We move the flames where we want to. And then we extinguish them.

Impersonation is treason.

(April 24, 2016 at 2:23 pm)paulpablo Wrote:
(April 24, 2016 at 2:17 pm)RozKek Wrote: This is quite similiar to free will but: Do you believe we control our thoughts or do our thoughts control us?

I think Karl Pilkington covered this topic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8n2jcrQY5o

I fucking loved it, seriously. It was hilarious Tongue

Both. We certainly can control how we think, and learn better ways of using reason and logic. But, even in our subconscious our brains gap fill constantly without us being aware of it. 

When we are asleep we dream, but through out our lives, from birth to old age, scientists do know that we DO NOT wake up remembering the vast majority of those dreams, so in that context, we have no control. 

But, a common tactic with dreams, for example when it comes to ending nightmares that you do remember is by therapy which can include change in diet, exercise and trying to figure out if there is some sort of stress in your waking life that might be a cause, and writing those dreams down. That combo can lead to reducing or getting rid of those dreams.
I am my thoughts. That I am not always in control of myself is just the way things are.
Our emotions and instincts control our thoughts, which control us. We are our thoughts. How you think, you will behave. You cannot control what you feel, therefore you cannot control your thoughts, and you cannot control yourself. As much as you try to control your desires, you cannot.
When I write, my thoughts control me, but under no circumstances do my thoughts control me.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
"Man can do what he wills but he cannot will what he wills."
~ Schopenhauer
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]

I think our thoughts are us.
(August 21, 2017 at 11:31 pm)KevinM1 Wrote: "I'm not a troll"
Religious Views: He gay

0/10

Hammy Wrote:and we also have a sheep on our bed underneath as well

Depends on how recently I've been laid.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Thoughts on Courtly love (aka platonic love) Macoleco 16 1162 September 11, 2022 at 2:04 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Thoughts of Reason Foxaèr 22 1639 October 25, 2020 at 6:26 pm
Last Post: Sal
Lightbulb Some thoughts I felt compelled to share with anyone willing to listen, entheogen 22 2758 September 17, 2018 at 1:38 pm
Last Post: entheogen
  How our thoughts are formed? givepeaceachance 29 4132 May 24, 2018 at 5:27 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  My thoughts on the Hard problem of consciousness Won2blv 36 5448 February 15, 2017 at 7:27 am
Last Post: bennyboy
  Ethics Class Homework Assignments: Critiques, Thoughts... Thanks! Mudhammam 6 2615 July 5, 2015 at 7:35 pm
Last Post: Mudhammam
  describing the "collaboration" of parts; thoughts on spacetime Coffee Jesus 2 854 May 28, 2014 at 12:45 pm
Last Post: Coffee Jesus
  The Problem of Imperfect Revelation: Your Thoughts? MindForgedManacle 144 40164 September 29, 2013 at 11:52 am
Last Post: bennyboy
  Thoughts on next video... DeistPaladin 40 17313 April 5, 2013 at 10:45 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Thoughts on "Believing in Yourself" clemdog14 13 4481 January 11, 2013 at 9:01 am
Last Post: jonb