Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 5:50 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My world is tearing apart
My world is tearing apart
Little quick introduction:
-A devout muslim since 14 years old
-Always believed in a higher power and if you are good and graceful you will get rewarded either heaven or hell

Lately I been losing my faith and one of the biggest triggers is a question nobody seems to have a answer I am satisfied with.
I just need this last push and I feel like I will abandon my religion because I can not find a answer for this.
If god is all knowing and he created us, That means that before he created us he already knew what we were gonna do.
That also means that if god is all knowing and he created us that some of us that will go to hell or heaven was already created for it before hand.

But they tell me that we have free will but somehow it doesn't make sense. If we had thousands, Millions or even billions of option or destinies for each step we do and choose.
Wouldn't god know which one we would ultimately chose. please someone explain this to me I am getting more and more confused
RE: My world is tearing apart
Simple: such a thing (that god) does not exist. It was invented by men as means of controlling other men. Occam's razor FTW. Usually the simpliest explanation is the correct one.

Welcome to the forum.
(April 24, 2016 at 7:31 pm)confusedandscared Wrote: Little quick introduction:
-Always believed in a higher power and if you are good and graceful you will get rewarded either heaven or hell

Lately I been losing my faith and one of the biggest triggers is a question nobody seems to have a answer I am satisfied with.
I just need this last push and I feel like I will abandon my religion because I can not find a answer for this.
If god is all knowing and he created us, That means that before he created us he already knew what we were gonna do.
That also means that if god is all knowing and he created us that some of us that will go to hell or heaven was already created for it before hand.

But they tell me that we have free will but somehow it doesn't make sense. If we had thousands, Millions or even billions of option or destinies for each step we do and choose.
Wouldn't god know which one we would ultimately chose. please someone explain this to me I am getting more and more confused

Yeah, that was one of my questions too.  I was raised fundamentalist xtian.  And there is also the question about the billions of people who don't share your religion - - - the ones who existed before the creation stories - - - the ones who existed before Christianity or Islam or Judaism . . . 
Just try to relax and go with the flow.  Read - read a lot. 
I don't feel that I can say much more than that, because 1) my knowledge of Islam is very limited, and 2) this is your path.  You will either decide to stay with your faith, or at some point the "doesn't make sense" will chase your dogma out of your brain.  You'll probably hear from Muslim believers her AND atheists.  Just read, think, and try not to stress.
"The family that prays together...is brainwashing their children."- Albert Einstein
Eveything will be fine my friend.
Try this,C&S.

Put down your koran for a moment and open up the OT which describes the same god.

Read:

Quote:10 The Lord told Samuel, 11 “Saul has stopped obeying me, and I’m sorry that I made him king.”

1 Sam 15

Forgetting all the billions of people stuff, why is it that "god" was so stupid that he didn't know this would happen when he made Saul king in the first place?

How can an omniscient being be "surprised" when his schemes don't work out?

What kind of a putz is this god, anyway?
There's nothing to explain, confusedandscared. You found a critical flaw. Free-will is incompatible with an omniscient God. Also consider this: Even if we have free will, why would God create someone he knows will do evil and is Hell-bound?
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein
Yeah, that last step is hard. And even after that it remains hard for a little while.
I used to be a x-tian and although my life didn't suddenly become better after my decision to become an atheist, I have always felt content with the decision I made.
I'm confident that you will too. :-)
I wonder what it would have been like to have ever been a theist.

Probably don't wanna know that first hand.
(April 24, 2016 at 7:31 pm)confusedandscared Wrote: Little quick introduction:

The key is not to fish for excuses to hold a position, especially if you have been indoctrinated at birth. Most humans pass their religions and god belief to their children. If you were born in India you'd most likely have been raised Hindu or Sikh. If you had been born in Tibet, or China or Japan, you'd be some sect of Buddhist. If you were born in Italy you'd most likely be raised Catholic. 

You have lots of questions you are asking, keep it up. But there is more to questioning than simply saying "that makes no sense". Having a basic understanding of evolution, and science also helps. Understanding collective world history also helps. 

Now as far as free will, there is no such thing in any religious sense. In science though, especially with neurology and how our brains function, it is neither "free will" or "determinism" but both. Our brains gap fill tons of times a day and most of the time we don't realize it. Like if you walk into a clean glass door your brain is telling you there is no door there, even though there is.  Or you bump your head on a a low object, your brain has falsely filled in the gap that you have enough clearance. Point being, our perceptions of reality are notoriously flawed.

The good thing is that when we want to compare things to insure we are getting the most accurate assessment of what we observe, we have that tool, scientific method and no one religion owns a patent on scientific method because it is not there to point to any club, it is completely religion independent.
Congratulations, C&S. You have discovered the one thing religion cannot withstand: questioning.

Welcome to the forum, bud.