Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 1:48 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lifespan 1000 years to 80?
Lifespan 1000 years to 80?
Of all the nonsense in that crusty old book, the incredible drop in average human lifetime since the days of Seth, Methusalah, et al is one of my favourite examples of bible bull. It must give literalists a particularly tough time in mental acrobatics to try and conflate men who lived to 1000 years with, well, evidence that says otherwise.

If the deterioration of human DNA resulted in an average drop in lifespan of 29 years per generation (27) from Adam (930) to Jacob (147) between 4100 b.c. to 2000 b.c. what was the number of mutations linked to this amazing fall? There must have been some crazy fucked up mutant children popping out.

Why do we then see from 2000 b.c. to present an average drop in life expectancy of 0.5 years? Assuming average generation of 30 years (135 generations) and ignoring the low figures during the middle ages and other time periods.

If some of those folk were knocking kids out in their later years like Noah still going strong and having Shem and Ham at 500 or 600 years of age and they continued the trend then we might only be 10 or so generations down the line and we should see some of his descendants among us living to about 500 years at least?

Seeing as the average life expectancy is increasing is this a sign that the punishment of the fall of man is reversing? Has the potency of that fucking rotten apple finally gone?

So many questions. I'm slightly embarrassed that 1 - I actually spent time thinking about this when I could have done something productive and 2 - I thought it would be any more productive by sharing it here.

Anyway, have at it my Xtians and atheists friends.
RE: Lifespan 1000 years to 80?
Goddidit?

Nah, I prefer science, makes my brain work instead of spending all day idle.
(May 3, 2016 at 12:46 pm)LastPoet Wrote: Goddidit?

Nah, I prefer science, makes my brain work instead of spending all day idle.

He certainly must have did it. The thing with the bible genealogy is that you can't take it any other way than literal. It says that Noah lived till the ripe old age of 950, impossible to squirm around translations or the holy fucking spirit being essential to understand this nonsense. It is what it says on the tin.

I prefer science also but occasionally I like to exercise the unused part of my brain that deals with the fucking impossible to try and understand the theist position.
Just another stupid idea the jerkoffs borrowed from the Sumerians.

http://etcsl.orinst.ox.ac.uk/section2/tr211.htm

Quote:After the flood had swept over, and the kingship had descended from heaven, the kingship was in Kic. In Kic, Jucur became king; he ruled for 1200 years. Kullassina-bel ruled for 960 (ms. P2+L2 has instead: 900) years. Nanjiclicma ruled for (ms. P2+L2 has:) 670 (?) years. En-tarah-ana ruled for (ms. P2+L2 has:) 420 years ......, 3 months, and 3 1/2 days. Babum ...... ruled for (ms. P2+L2 has:) 300 years. Puannum ruled for 840 (ms. P2+L2 has instead: 240) years. Kalibum ruled for 960 (ms. P2+L2 has instead: 900) years. Kalumum ruled for 840 (mss. P3+BT14, Su1 have instead: 900) years. Zuqaqip ruled for 900 (ms. Su1 has instead: 600) years. (In mss. P2+L2, P3+BT14, P5, the 10th and 11th rulers of the dynasty precede the 8th and 9th.) Atab (mss. P2+L2, P3+BT14, P5 have instead: Aba) ruled for 600 years. Macda, the son of Atab,

There is nothing original in OT horseshit.  Least of all its fucking 'god.'
(May 3, 2016 at 1:42 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Just another stupid idea the jerkoffs borrowed from the Sumerians.

Jucur became king; he ruled for 1200 years.

You do like to ruin things with rational thought before we get started don't you?

Jucur is one son of a bitch even by OT myth though, 1200 years. Fuck. If there were a Top Trumps for mythology he must be near the top of the pack.
1000 to 80? I thought it was more like 1000 to 30 in the middle ages, and again 80 in the present.

It seems to me that the more people believe in bs, the lesser the average lifespan and vice-versa.
Quote:To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.
- Lau Tzu

Join me on atheistforums Slack Cool Shades (pester tibs via pm if you need invite) Tongue

(May 3, 2016 at 1:54 pm)TubbyTubby Wrote:
(May 3, 2016 at 1:42 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Just another stupid idea the jerkoffs borrowed from the Sumerians.

Jucur became king; he ruled for 1200 years.

You do like to ruin things with rational thought before we get started don't you?

Jucur is one son of a bitch even by OT myth though, 1200 years. Fuck. If there were a Top Trumps for mythology he must be near the top of the pack.

Fear not....some dipshit will be along to defend the fairy tales in short order.  Facts do not even slow those motherfuckers down.
(May 3, 2016 at 1:57 pm)Aoi Magi Wrote: 1000 to 80? I thought it was more like 1000 to 30 in the middle ages, and again 80 in the present.

It seems to me that the more people believe in bs, the lesser the average lifespan and vice-versa.

Indeed, I did mention the middle ages trough in lifespan but averaged it over the period. But yes, there seems to be an evolving inverse correlation between religiosity and life expectancy.
(May 3, 2016 at 12:17 pm)TubbyTubby Wrote: Of all the nonsense in that crusty old book, the incredible drop in average human lifetime since the days of Seth, Methusalah, et al is one of my favourite examples of bible bull. It must give literalists a particularly tough time in mental acrobatics to try and conflate men who lived to 1000 years with, well, evidence that says otherwise.

If the deterioration of human DNA resulted in an average drop in lifespan of 29 years per generation (27) from Adam (930) to Jacob (147) between 4100 b.c. to 2000 b.c. what was the number of mutations linked to this amazing fall? There must have been some crazy fucked up mutant children popping out.

Why do we then see from 2000 b.c. to present an average drop in life expectancy of 0.5 years? Assuming average generation of 30 years (135 generations) and ignoring the low figures during the middle ages and other time periods.

If some of those folk were knocking kids out in their later years like Noah still going strong and having Shem and Ham at 500 or 600 years of age and they continued the trend then we might only be 10 or so generations down the line and we should see some of his descendants among us living to about 500 years at least?

Seeing as the average life expectancy is increasing is this a sign that the punishment of the fall of man is reversing? Has the potency of that fucking rotten apple finally gone?

So many questions. I'm slightly embarrassed that 1 - I actually spent time thinking about this when I could have done something productive and 2 - I thought it would be any more productive by sharing it here.

Anyway, have at it my Xtians and atheists friends.

What constitutes a Year, now?

What constituted a year before Gregorian calendar, before the Roman, before the Grecian, before the Hebrew calendar?

What constituted a "year" when Adam was alive?
Ever notice that the Elders lived for hundreds of years, but never interacted with their greatgrandchildren? You'd think that an experience pool of that magnitude would be consulted regularly even if they didn't control day-to-day living.

Of course, if that's bullshit like most of the Bible it's not a mystery.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Attended church for the first time in years Aegon 23 1745 August 8, 2018 at 3:01 pm
Last Post: Crossless2.0
  Jesus : The Early years chimp3 139 21296 April 1, 2018 at 1:40 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  Brazilian woman has spent years praying to Lord of the Rings doll Cyberman 41 5320 January 8, 2017 at 2:27 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Biblical people living to be over 175 years old Rowan 26 6471 August 19, 2014 at 1:34 pm
  Jesus, 2000 years ago vorlon13 23 4026 July 26, 2014 at 4:58 pm
  The universe appears "old", but it is still less than 10,000 years old Justtristo 402 218399 March 4, 2014 at 4:23 am
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Benedict XVI defrocked nearly 400 priests in two years zebo-the-fat 4 2249 January 19, 2014 at 12:50 pm
  Bloody Christians - 20-30 millions killed in 14 years Doubting_Thomas 19 9060 October 21, 2012 at 1:45 pm
Last Post: Doubting_Thomas
  Chuck Norris says voting for Obama will bring 1000 years of darkness Ziploc Surprise 35 17479 September 11, 2012 at 4:26 pm
Last Post: Reforged
  RC Church "200 years behind" the times Red Celt 13 6536 September 2, 2012 at 6:54 pm