Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 1:54 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Physical idealism
Physical idealism
I was reading this:
http://edition.cnn.com/2016/05/04/health...index.html

And it got me to thinking. . . there must be a genetic pattern for a "toe," and then a counter of some type.  So you could arbitrarily (I assume) program a DNA sequence to have any number of toes or fingers, and yet, magically, they "turn out."  The baby's toes all look good, he's just got the wrong number of them.

In other words, the human body actually isn't completely represented in the DNA, but as a sequence of instructions ABOUT a human body-- for example, how many toes it should have.

Stuff to think about.
RE: Physical idealism
Quote:In other words, the human body actually isn't completely represented in the DNA, but as a sequence of instructions ABOUT a human body

Erm...isn't DNA a sequence of instructions about a human body?

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(May 7, 2016 at 9:32 am)bennyboy Wrote: I was reading this:

And it got me to thinking. . . there must be a genetic pattern for a "toe," and then a counter of some type.  So you could arbitrarily (I assume) program a DNA sequence to have any number of toes or fingers, and yet, magically, they "turn out."  The baby's toes all look good, he's just got the wrong number of them.

In other words, the human body actually isn't completely represented in the DNA, but as a sequence of instructions ABOUT a human body-- for example, how many toes it should have.

Stuff to think about.

What makes you conclude that the body isn't represented in the DNA from the example you quote? Maybe you could also clarify what you mean by the Body being represented vs. having instructions about the body.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

(May 7, 2016 at 9:32 am)bennyboy Wrote: I was reading this:

Stuff to think about.

Number of toes is determined by the timing of the deployment of certain chemical signals. Watch Your Inner Fish episode one if you want to learn about it. DNA is frequently analogized more as a recipe than a set of coded traits. Each step represents an occurrence in the development of the organism, but there isn't a one to one correspondence between genes and traits.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
(May 7, 2016 at 9:36 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
Quote:In other words, the human body actually isn't completely represented in the DNA, but as a sequence of instructions ABOUT a human body

Erm...isn't DNA a sequence of instructions about a human body?

Boru

That's right.  My point is that the DNA doesn't carry separate instructions about, for example, each finger.  Rather, it carries a description of what a "finger" is, and then an arbitrary amount of information describing what to do with that idea.

To me this is important, because an idealistic model is medium-independent in a sense: it would be more proper to say that the human body is an expression of ideas which happen to be represented in DNA, than to say that the DNA expresses itself as a human body.
(May 7, 2016 at 10:32 am)Alex K Wrote: What makes you conclude that the body isn't represented in the DNA from the example you quote? Maybe you could also clarify what you mean by the Body being represented vs. having instructions about the body.

I should say that the DNA doesn't represent a blueprint for a body: "The door is 2.5m tall and 1.5m wide", but rather as a collection of relative principles: "The door should be 2x taller than the kitchen window" etc.

I think people in this thread might be thinking "Well, duh. This is all known and obvious." However, to me there might be important philosophical implications. For example, an idealistic model is medium-independent: if you could decode the entire DNA strand as a collection of relative ideas into say a database, you could recreate the human species without using DNA at all.

Another implication is that evolution could be much faster than we normally think of it. If there were a real benefit to having a different number of fingers, we wouldn't see people with stumpy little 6th fingers, then slightly more defined 6th fingers over millions of years. We'd see x% of the population having 6 fingers, with that % spiking pretty rapidly depending on the genetic fitness advantage it would give.
(May 7, 2016 at 5:55 pm)bennyboy Wrote: Another implication is that evolution could be much faster than we normally think of it.  If there were a real benefit to having a different number of fingers, we wouldn't see people with stumpy little 6th fingers, then slightly more defined 6th fingers over millions of years.  We'd see x%  of the population having 6 fingers, with that % spiking pretty rapidly depending on the genetic fitness advantage it would give.
How is that different from the manner in which evolution is typically understood to have occurred? A sixth finger might not have any other particular advantage except perhaps those with six fingers tend to attract more sexual partners. And then the five digit creatures, to compensate for the attractiveness that the sixth little finger bears to the other gender, have to work harder, and thus the population would result in many stronger, faster, five digit creatures, in competition with those that are moderately weaker and slower but more attractive given their sixth little finger. Then wouldn't the spread of the gene pool for six digits remain more or less unchanged, or result in only a very gradual, moderate increase over long periods of time, given whichever consistently retained a slight edge?
He who loves God cannot endeavour that God should love him in return - Baruch Spinoza
Following Jor's comment (good one) it ain't all DNA.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hedgehog_s...ertebrates

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morphogen
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(May 7, 2016 at 6:16 pm)Mudhammam Wrote:
(May 7, 2016 at 5:55 pm)bennyboy Wrote: Another implication is that evolution could be much faster than we normally think of it.  If there were a real benefit to having a different number of fingers, we wouldn't see people with stumpy little 6th fingers, then slightly more defined 6th fingers over millions of years.  We'd see x%  of the population having 6 fingers, with that % spiking pretty rapidly depending on the genetic fitness advantage it would give.
How is that different from the manner in which evolution is typically understood to have occurred? A sixth finger might not have any other particular advantage except perhaps those with six fingers tend to attract more sexual partners. And then the five digit creatures, to compensate for the attractiveness that the sixth little finger bears to the other gender, have to work harder, and thus the population would result in many stronger, faster, five digit creatures, in competition with those that are moderately weaker and slower but more attractive given their sixth little finger. Then wouldn't the spread of the gene pool for six digits remain more or less unchanged, or result in only a very gradual, moderate increase over long periods of time, given whichever consistently retained a slight edge?

It's not really at odds with evolution at all.  My point is that like our mental understanding of things, the DNA represents a collection of ideas which are reworked or recycled, rather than a "set piece" for a species.
The body is all there is and it is represented by DNA.

-Hammy

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Short essay on dualism, idealism, & materialism as concerns Q: What is a table? Mudhammam 28 4610 February 27, 2017 at 3:02 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  What philosophical evidence is there against believing in non-physical entities? joseph_ 150 12555 September 3, 2016 at 11:26 am
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  Idealism explained in 90 seconds Captain Scarlet 8 2571 October 22, 2015 at 4:06 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  Idealism is more Rational than Materialism Rational AKD 158 45026 February 12, 2015 at 4:51 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Contra Metaphysical Idealism MindForgedManacle 71 14405 April 21, 2014 at 8:26 am
Last Post: archangle
  The Lesser of Three Evils - Intuition, Induction, and Transcendental Idealism filambee 8 2865 November 21, 2013 at 8:24 am
Last Post: I and I
  Berkeley's Idealism Neo-Scholastic 61 24585 March 23, 2012 at 7:15 pm
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic