Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 5:01 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Astronomical dating in the antiquities
Astronomical dating in the antiquities
Jehovah's Witnesses teach that Jerusalem was destroyed in 607 BCE contrary to pretty much everyone else. I have been doing some research on this topic. There is a 2 part articles published in 2011. If you're interested part 1  http://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/2011736 Part 2 http://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/2011810

My question is from the second article. It makes this claim,

Quote:Consider the example of VAT 4956. The opening line of this tablet reads: “Year 37 of Nebukadnezar, king of Babylon.”16 Thereafter, it contains detailed descriptions of the position of the moon and planets in relation to different stars and constellations. Also included is one lunar eclipse. Scholars say that all these positions occurred in 568/567 B.C.E., which would make the 18th year of Nebuchadnezzar II, when he destroyed Jerusalem, 587 B.C.E. But do these astronomical references irrefutably point only to the year 568/567 B.C.E.?

The tablet mentions a lunar eclipse that was calculated as occurring on the 15th day of the third Babylonian month, Simanu. It is a fact that a lunar eclipse occurred on July 4 (Julian calendar) of this month during 568 B.C.E. However, there was also an eclipse 20 years earlier, on July 15, 588 B.C.E.17

If 588 B.C.E. marked the 37th year of Nebuchadnezzar II, then his 18th year would be 607 B.C.E.—the very year indicated by the Bible’s chronology for the destruction of Jerusalem! (See the time line below.) But does VAT 4956 provide further corroborating evidence for the year 607 B.C.E.?

In addition to the aforementioned eclipse, there are 13 sets of lunar observations on the tablet and 15 planetary observations. These describe the position of the moon or planets in relation to certain stars or constellations.18 There are also eight time intervals between the risings and settings of the sun and the moon.18a

Because of the superior reliability of the lunar positions, researchers have carefully analyzed these 13 sets of lunar positions on VAT 4956. They analyzed the data with the aid of a computer program capable of showing the location of celestial bodies on a certain date in the past.19 What did their analysis reveal? While not all of these sets of lunar positions match the year 568/567 B.C.E., all 13 sets match calculated positions for 20 years earlier, for the year 588/587 B.C.E.

One of the places where the lunar observations fit 588 B.C.E. even better than 568 B.C.E. is shown in the tablet reproduced on these pages. On line 3 of that tablet, we read that the moon was in a certain position on the “night of the 9th [of Nisanu].” However, the scholars who first dated the event to 568 B.C.E. (astronomical -567) acknowledged that in 568 B.C.E., the moon was in that position on “the 8th of Nisanu and not on the 9th.” To support dating the tablet to 568 B.C.E., they postulated that the scribe erroneously wrote “9” instead of “8.”20 But the lunar position in line 3 finds an exact match on Nisanu 9 of 588 B.C.E.21

Clearly, much of the astronomical data in VAT 4956 fits the year 588 B.C.E. as the 37th year of Nebuchadnezzar II. This, therefore, supports the date of 607 B.C.E. for Jerusalem’s destruction—just as the Bible indicates.

So basically, does anyone know how valid these claims are? Most specifically the one about the 13 sets of lunar positions matching up for the year 588/587 BCE. Thanks!
RE: Astronomical dating in the antiquities
The Babylonian Chronicles indicate that until 605 BC Nebuchadnezzar was quite busy with the Assyrian-Egyptian coalition.  After capturing Nineveh and chasing them to Harran, which he also took, he withstood a siege of Harran and finally defeated them at Carchemish in 605. 

There is a constant tendency in the OT to portray "Jerusalem" as far larger and more important than it actually was.  Archaeology shows that it was an 8,000 person settlement at its peak.  I suspect the Nebuchadnezzar had far more important and strategically important sites to secure before he could worry about Judah.
(May 19, 2016 at 1:04 am)Minimalist Wrote: The Babylonian Chronicles indicate that until 605 BC Nebuchadnezzar was quite busy with the Assyrian-Egyptian coalition.  After capturing Nineveh and chasing them to Harran, which he also took, he withstood a siege of Harran and finally defeated them at Carchemish in 605. 

There is a constant tendency in the OT to portray "Jerusalem" as far larger and more important than it actually was.  Archaeology shows that it was an 8,000 person settlement at its peak.  I suspect the Nebuchadnezzar had far more important and strategically important sites to secure before he could worry about Judah.

These babylonian chronicles you mention, how do they date them? Do they use these astronomical calendars made by men that weren't exactly historian? Thanks
I don't know.

Here is Sennacherib's Prism in translation.  I don't see much of an astronomical nature here, just kingly bragging.

http://www.kchanson.com/ANCDOCS/meso/sennprism1.html

There are Egyptian and Babylonian inscriptions ( the Egyptians fought on the Assyrian side ) but the primary historical source is Herodotus who is a century and a half after the fact and who was never careful about his sources.

For that matter many of these chronicles are un-provenanced finds acquired in the 19th century from private dealers.  The ethics of archaeology were not as well developed then as they are now.  Still, I hope the British and French hold on to them rather than give them back to Iraq and watch ISIL blow them up.
(May 20, 2016 at 12:16 am)Minimalist Wrote: I don't know.

Here is Sennacherib's Prism in translation.  I don't see much of an astronomical nature here, just kingly bragging.

http://www.kchanson.com/ANCDOCS/meso/sennprism1.html

There are Egyptian and Babylonian inscriptions ( the Egyptians fought on the Assyrian side ) but the primary historical source is Herodotus who is a century and a half after the fact and who was never careful about his sources.

For that matter many of these chronicles are un-provenanced finds acquired in the 19th century from private dealers.  The ethics of archaeology were not as well developed then as they are now.  Still, I hope the British and French hold on to them rather than give them back to Iraq and watch ISIL blow them up.

Sennacherib sounds like trump
Sennacherib was YOOGE.  Unlike Drumpf.