Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 7:09 am

Poll: Would you live in your ideal VR?
This poll is closed.
Yes, plug me in
58.82%
10 58.82%
No, leave me here
29.41%
5 29.41%
I'm not sure
5.88%
1 5.88%
Fuck all polls, plus itchy butt
5.88%
1 5.88%
Total 17 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Would you live in VR?
Would you live in VR?
Sorry if this has been done before.

Imagine you're given a one-time only offer. You can be plugged into a VR machine, where you will live out the rest of your natural life. There's no coming back.

Once plugged in, you'll live your version of a perfect life, being able to do whatever you want to do. And you won't have any idea it's "not real". It will be your new reality. There will be no suffering (unless you want there to be).

Would you do it? For simplicity, please ignore other factors such as abandoning loved ones. They can all come with you, or whatever. It's purely a question of total happiness versus "reality".
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
RE: Would you live in VR?
Sure, I'd give it a go. Can't be any worse than this sh*tty reality I'm living in now. A reality, which - for all I know - could be a simulated/virtual one anyway.
"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one." - George Bernard Shaw
Sounds a lot better than what I'm living now. So yeah.
(May 15, 2016 at 4:47 am)robvalue Wrote: Sorry if this has been done before.

Imagine you're given a one-time only offer. You can be plugged into a VR machine, where you will live out the rest of your natural life. There's no coming back.

Once plugged in, you'll live your version of a perfect life, being able to do whatever you want to do. And you won't have any idea it's "not real". It will be your new reality. There will be no suffering (unless you want there to be).

Would you do it? For simplicity, please ignore other factors such as abandoning loved ones. They can all come with you, or whatever. It's purely a question of total happiness versus "reality".

Would I play "better than life" you bet I would.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

The thought of not getting up early to go to work alone clinched the deal for me...
If you can't tell the difference, who cares?
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2rbTWo2iDk

As you describe it, I wouldn't know it's not real, so I presume I wouldn't remember anything about the old life or the fact that I entered VR, so that would pretty much be the same as dying, but then before dying, imagining you're reincarnating in some random bird you see on a branch.

It wouldn't be comforting to me at all that "some version of me" would live a happy life. It wouldn't be me, since apparently you'd wipe my memory first - everything that makes me, me. So I definitely wouldn't. But give me that choice without any memory loss and it's a no-brainer. Also, I see no reason why we won't be able to live infinitely in our VR soon enough for real.

EP
Yes, you'd remember as much or as little as you'd like.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(May 15, 2016 at 5:03 am)Excited Penguin Wrote: As you describe it, I wouldn't know it's not real, so I presume I wouldn't remember anything about the old life or the fact that I entered VR, so that would pretty much be the same as dying, but then before dying, imagining you're reincarnating in some random bird you see on a branch.

It wouldn't be comforting to me at all that "some version of me" would live a happy life. It wouldn't be me, since apparently you'd wipe my memory first - everything that makes me, me. So I definitely wouldn't. But give me that choice without any memory loss and it's a no-brainer. Also, I see no reason why we won't be able to live infinitely in our VR soon enough for real.

EP

MY EYES MY EYES!!!!!

(May 15, 2016 at 5:18 am)robvalue Wrote: Yes, you'd remember as much or as little as you'd like.

But you said I'd have no idea it's not real. Is that just bad phrasing for it'll be so real I won't notice the difference or what did you mean? Can you describe the thought experiment again, briefly, if you're changing it?

EP

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Would you still cook if you diddn't have to? Angrboda 41 2172 October 30, 2023 at 3:40 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Anyone visit a volcano, or live near a volcano? Brian37 27 1459 October 21, 2021 at 5:12 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Where would you go if you could? Brian37 24 2025 August 18, 2021 at 6:56 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  24 hours to live onlinebiker 115 6019 January 1, 2021 at 1:23 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Are you happy where you live? Macoleco 39 2921 August 22, 2019 at 8:57 pm
Last Post: EgoDeath
  Who would you rely on to help you out? Cod 18 1329 January 8, 2019 at 6:36 am
Last Post: Little lunch
  If you could live in a fairy tale Foxaèr 35 6004 November 11, 2018 at 7:37 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  Would you want to live here? Foxaèr 22 4067 April 28, 2018 at 4:16 pm
Last Post: c172
  Anyone live near Washington DC? Whateverist 25 1868 April 1, 2018 at 2:59 am
Last Post: GrandizerII
  Forced To Live With An Obnoxious Person Mechaghostman2 21 3482 January 16, 2018 at 12:45 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger