Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 9:09 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can't prove the supernatural God
Can't prove the supernatural God
Even if a supernatural God does make its appearance unquestionably, my first thought would be how does this being came to be, and how does he work? And if an investigation becomes successful in revealing the answers, then this 'God' will suddenly not be so 'supernatural' and lose the whole definition of God.

Likewise, If this investigation doesn't wield satisfactory answers, then it's most likely due to my own current limitations rather than it being a being somehow cheating the laws of nature. Hell, quantum mechanics looks on the surface it's cheating nature, but you don't see all these physicists starting a new religion to desperately explain it......that'd be just irrational!
[Image: tumblr_nvrbfbDXgM1u0bifgo1_400.jpg]
RE: Can't prove the supernatural God
(May 15, 2016 at 7:36 am)maestroanth Wrote: Even if a supernatural God does make its appearance unquestionably, my first thought would be how does this being came to be, and how does he work?  And if an investigation becomes successful in revealing the answers, then this 'God' will suddenly not be so 'supernatural' and lose the whole definition of God.

Likewise, If this investigation doesn't wield satisfactory  answers, then it's most likely due to my own current limitations rather than it being a being somehow cheating the laws of nature. Hell, quantum mechanics looks on the surface it's cheating nature, but you don't see all these physicists starting a new religion to desperately explain it......that'd be just irrational!

How would you distinguish a god from a powerful alien? Q in star trek was not a god but displayed many of the things ascribed to god.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

I still don't know what supernatural means. At all.

It appears to be an arbitrary splitting of things that exist into two groups, and what determines which group things are in varies from person to person.

Rules can apply differently (or not apply at all) to different things... what's the big deal?
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
The people who lobby for the supernatural seem to do the following:

(1) We have scientific theories

(2) They are the laws of the universe, and are 100% correct and exhaustive (or "close enough"!)

(3) Oh noes! Something broke one of the laws! (Theories). It's supernatural!

Yeah. 3 contradicts 2. Our theories do not cover everything that exists, in that case. They weren't accurate, nor close enough. So it's just a term used relative to our current understanding, which is pointless.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of my best videos
Supernatural is simply those things or events that do not have a natural cause.

A supernatural event is not 'breaking a law'. It is not a suspension of cause and effect. A cause not part of the natural order acted to bring something about.
There is a show called Ghost Hunters, and there is still no evidence of ghosts.

There is also a show called God Hunters, except that the show is real life whereby the delusion is in the form of Church and Bible.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
(May 21, 2016 at 3:18 pm)SteveII Wrote: Supernatural is simply those things or events that do not have a natural cause.

A supernatural event is not 'breaking a law'. It is not a suspension of cause and effect. A cause not part of the natural order acted to bring something about.

How would one go about establishing that the cause of something wasn't part of "the natural order?" Define "natural order."
Verbatim from the mouth of Jesus (retranslated from a retranslation of a copy of a copy):

"Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you too will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you. How can you see your brother's head up his ass when your own vision is darkened by your head being even further up your ass? How can you say to your brother, 'Get your head out of your ass,' when all the time your head is up your own ass? You hypocrite! First take your head out of your own ass, and then you will see clearly who has his head up his ass and who doesn't." Matthew 7:1-5 (also Luke 6: 41-42)

Also, I has a website: www.RedbeardThePink.com
If someone believes that our reality was artificially created by magic, how is anything in it natural? What would that even mean?

Surely it would make more sense to say that the creator is natural, and the creation is unnatural.

Index of my best videos
On top of Richard Dawkin's "The God Delusion" I also recommend two books by the recently late Victor Stenger, "God The Failed Hypothesis" and "The New Atheism". Especially "The New Atheism" goes into detail as to why a God certainly DOES NOT EXIST, and also in later chapters demonstrates that religion is not the root of our species morality, our evolution is.
(May 21, 2016 at 3:27 pm)Redbeard The Pink Wrote:
(May 21, 2016 at 3:18 pm)SteveII Wrote: Supernatural is simply those things or events that do not have a natural cause.

How would one go about establishing that the cause of something wasn't part of "the natural order?" Define "natural order."

Observation that the effect could not have been the result of naturalistic causes.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclamation Supernatural and Atheism Eclectic 322 25361 January 3, 2023 at 7:28 pm
Last Post: HappySkeptic
Question How do you prove to everybody including yourself you're an atheist? Walter99 48 5369 March 23, 2021 at 2:57 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  Supernatural Evidence? Soldat Du Christ 266 26998 November 13, 2016 at 10:44 am
Last Post: chimp3
  How to respond to "prove God doesn't exist" Help? dragonman73 11 2992 April 8, 2016 at 4:12 am
Last Post: robvalue
  "Prove to me god doesn't exist" TanithDaUnicorn 67 9075 March 6, 2016 at 5:02 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  A Challenge to You All: Prove I'm not God FebruaryOfReason 40 6081 February 21, 2016 at 1:59 pm
Last Post: FebruaryOfReason
  Do Supernatural Horror Movies Scare You? PhilosophicalZebra 24 4993 July 10, 2015 at 12:11 pm
Last Post: KUSA
  Natural explanations to former supernatural ideas Won2blv 12 3582 May 17, 2015 at 12:13 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Hey Gnostic Atheist - prove your point answer-is-42 26 6955 September 18, 2014 at 8:23 am
Last Post: Tonus
  Hey Anti-Theists! Prove Your Claim Neo-Scholastic 85 13408 August 20, 2014 at 4:20 pm
Last Post: ComradeMeow