Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 7:28 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Member and Introduction
New Member and Introduction
Hello and Greetings everyone!!

My name is Jeff and I live in Alabama. I am 37 years old.  I decided to register here because I wanted to talk about my atheism and meet others who share the same belief. My story is quiet boring so I will keep things short.

When you grow up in Alabama, what church you go to is as important as what football team you pull for. Here you are either an Alabama fan or an Auburn fan, a Baptist or a Church of Christ member. I am a relatively new atheist. Long story short, I became an atheist after spending 5 years addicted to pills. I detoxed at a family members house and I have been sober for 2 years now and I feel great! What did my addiction have to do with me becoming an atheist? Well, it gave me the courage to ask questions. When you grow up in the church you are not allowed to ask or even think about how the world came to be, or why certain things happen the way they do. You are not allowed to even ponder if there is or isn't a God. Although I was never the most loyal church goer, I never dared to think outside the box and question things....until I became an addict.

While I was an addict I was depressed and had the ups and downs that are typical of addictive behavior. I went from owning a 3 bedroom house with a wife to living in a 1 bedroom studio apartment with no furniture, except for a bed and my computer. My health was deteriorating and in 6 months I would probably be dead from an overdose or suicide. I didn't care if I died and went to hell for questioning God's existence because heck, I was high and was going there anyways. Since I was no longer worried about my soul at that point, I began to learn and ask the questions I never dared to ask before. I had courage enough to start learning about different religions. After a ton of reading and getting answers to questions that I dared not ask before, I decided to become an atheist. Becoming an atheist saved my life. Since I now believed there was not a heaven and hell and that we only have one life to live, I figured I better get off of my ass and get to doing something about it. Then, at that moment I decided to get clean and drug free.

I love being Atheist although it is quite different. I am not mad at God as many people ask when I tell them I am atheist...I simply deny his existence. People's first question is, "What happened?". I often find myself laughing at people who are praying. I want to reply to my friends on Facebook and tell them how much of an idiot they are for posting that they are "blessed" just because they got a new job, but I refrain. It makes me sick. Where would the world be if there was never religion? Would we have a cure for cancer if scientists were not locked up and sometimes burned for being heretics? Its very interesting to think about. How do we spread our message across the world and get others to wake up??!! I truly believe that in the future all religions will just be a chapter in a history book and everyone at that time will be an atheist in some form.

Anyways, I've rambled on too long. I appreciate any of you who read this and I look forward to participating and being a productive member here.

Thanks!!
Jeff 

Wink
RE: New Member and Introduction
Quote: When you grow up in Alabama, what church you go to is as important as what football team you pull for.

Well, shit.  I don't like religion or football.  Probably best for me to stay out of 'bama.

Welcome, friend.
Welcome aboard.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
UAB fandom is blasphemy? Sad

Welcome! Been through AL when I was moving out of FL to AZ (which didn't completely suck in the early 90's...that I'm aware of). Just the I-10 corridor (ummmm....go USA Jaguars?), which looked pretty redneck even when there weren't people to stare at.
"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan
Welcome!
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
Welcome to a fellow atheist and guitarist.

Welcome.
Dying to live, living to die.
(May 15, 2016 at 6:50 pm)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: Welcome to a fellow atheist and guitarist.

Thump!!! I think I know you from another forum. Are you on the...uhhh...our favorite guitar forum??
(May 15, 2016 at 5:43 pm)JeffLesPaul Wrote: Hello and Greetings everyone!!

My name is Jeff and I live in Alabama. I am 37 years old.  I decided to register here because I wanted to talk about my atheism and meet others who share the same belief. My story is quiet boring so I will keep things short.

When you grow up in Alabama, what church you go to is as important as what football team you pull for. Here you are either an Alabama fan or an Auburn fan, a Baptist or a Church of Christ member. I am a relatively new atheist. Long story short, I became an atheist after spending 5 years addicted to pills. I detoxed at a family members house and I have been sober for 2 years now and I feel great! What did my addiction have to do with me becoming an atheist? Well, it gave me the courage to ask questions. When you grow up in the church you are not allowed to ask or even think about how the world came to be, or why certain things happen the way they do. You are not allowed to even ponder if there is or isn't a God. Although I was never the most loyal church goer, I never dared to think outside the box and question things....until I became an addict.

While I was an addict I was depressed and had the ups and downs that are typical of addictive behavior. I went from owning a 3 bedroom house with a wife to living in a 1 bedroom studio apartment with no furniture, except for a bed and my computer. My health was deteriorating and in 6 months I would probably be dead from an overdose or suicide. I didn't care if I died and went to hell for questioning God's existence because heck, I was high and was going there anyways. Since I was no longer worried about my soul at that point, I began to learn and ask the questions I never dared to ask before. I had courage enough to start learning about different religions. After a ton of reading and getting answers to questions that I dared not ask before, I decided to become an atheist. Becoming an atheist saved my life. Since I now believed there was not a heaven and hell and that we only have one life to live, I figured I better get off of my ass and get to doing something about it. Then, at that moment I decided to get clean and drug free.

I love being Atheist although it is quite different. I am not mad at God as many people ask when I tell them I am atheist...I simply deny his existence. People's first question is, "What happened?". I often find myself laughing at people who are praying. I want to reply to my friends on Facebook and tell them how much of an idiot they are for posting that they are "blessed" just because they got a new job, but I refrain. It makes me sick. Where would the world be if there was never religion? Would we have a cure for cancer if scientists were not locked up and sometimes burned for being heretics? Its very interesting to think about. How do we spread our message across the world and get others to wake up??!! I truly believe that in the future all religions will just be a chapter in a history book and everyone at that time will be an atheist in some form.

Anyways, I've rambled on too long. I appreciate any of you who read this and I look forward to participating and being a productive member here.

Thanks!!
Jeff 

Wink
Im also from Bama, welcome!
Welcome, from just up I-65 in TN.

I just was in B'Ham this past weekend sending my little brother back off to Washington DC.

Hope you enjoy the forums, Jeff!
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  new member asswriter 8 231 April 12, 2024 at 11:45 am
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Member Photos Tiberius 20280 4448391 April 11, 2024 at 6:43 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  New member MistMuse 7 277 April 2, 2024 at 5:32 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  New member Jillybean 19 597 March 4, 2024 at 5:20 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  New member titanif 8 872 October 10, 2023 at 7:09 pm
Last Post: MR. Macabre 666
  [Serious] Hi. Previous member here. I'm so sorry. Steelfist 2 657 September 21, 2023 at 5:00 am
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  New member PaulC 13 1370 August 13, 2023 at 7:50 pm
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  New member Dansup 9 1195 April 1, 2023 at 3:44 am
Last Post: Goosebump
  Introduction Veni 5 734 July 3, 2022 at 7:43 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Introduction Data 9 972 June 19, 2022 at 8:04 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir