Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 11:16 am

Poll: Compared to how many religions were created in the XX. century how much will be created in 21st?
This poll is closed.
More
25.00%
1 25.00%
Less
75.00%
3 75.00%
Are you kidding? NONE
0%
0 0%
Total 4 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New religions in 21st century
New religions in 21st century
OK this is probably not much of a topic since it is considered that religions are on decline, but still when you think (aside from suicide cults) during XX. century there were created quite disturbing amounts of new religions despite of better scientific understanding of the world. Let me remind you some of the biggest ones that come to my mind: Hare Krishna, Sai-Babism, Scientology, Wicca, Rastafari, Raelians, New Age, Transcendental Meditation, Anthroposophy, even The Church of Satan.

And when talking about Krishnas I could never understand how can those people take seriously their leader that never washes off that bird shit on his face?
[Image: srila-ac-bhaktivedanta-swami-prabhupada-36.jpg]

Maybe some of the reasons was giant population growth so that all these people are members of new religions without really draining from congregations of existing religions.

I do wonder if 21st century will be as fruitful when it comes to religions. To me it seems that it won't be because of the internet which makes people share information faster and debunk them faster. So far there hasn't been new one yet and compared to last century in last one there was already a new religion in 1908: Thelema.
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
RE: New religions in 21st century
(May 16, 2016 at 8:48 am)Fake Messiah Wrote: Maybe some of the reasons was giant population growth so that all these people are members of new religions without really draining from congregations of existing religions.

There aren't many people born wiccan, or born into a wiccan home (to use one of your examples).  Fundamental christianity is basically the factory floor of neo-paganism. I'd say your comment merits more than a "maybe". I;d hold judgement on how fruitful this century will be, though. Who could have known in 1916 that there would be wicca? Even when the religion was created in the 50's (if we're being generous) it was still well below radar. For all we know there's a massive crop of crazy seedlings that we just can't see under the old crazy overgrowth. The internet will -also- help them to share their ideas.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Christianity will continue to schism roughly another 200 times this year.

Maybe, finally, a schism will hit that seemingly impossible goal of being the actual One True Faith ??
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Why doesn't anyone mention the biggest religion of them all: Money and the dogma of the market. It's by far the largest denomination and the most destructive to humanity, since it reduces individuals to expendable commodities.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
I think there will probably be more.

Many of the people dumping Christianity are doing so not because they are turning to science but because of all the negative baggage the big monotheistic religions have. The "my way is the only way" philosophy isn't practical or desirable in a global society. Some of those leaving will be content with a secular way of life but many will turn to something else.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein
Baneemyism ??
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

I don't think there will be any major religions, but religions and cults are started every few years in really rural areas of the world. I think I've posted this before but:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2Cv5hZfOmk
[Image: nL4L1haz_Qo04rZMFtdpyd1OZgZf9NSnR9-7hAWT...dc2a24480e]
Quite a few go extinct too.

When's the last time we had a Trellaphontist post here ?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Smile Interesting correlation between God and light in major world religions... Ajay0 17 1844 May 24, 2019 at 4:10 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  To all religions/What makes you think...... Brian37 22 2771 February 26, 2019 at 8:46 am
Last Post: no one
  Religions Role in Social Movements, Essential or Accidental? Neo-Scholastic 17 3482 October 4, 2018 at 3:58 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Are all religions cults? Aroura 88 11126 September 30, 2018 at 1:41 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Why do some believers claim that all religions are just as good? Der/die AtheistIn 22 3734 June 25, 2018 at 12:10 pm
Last Post: Succubus
  Why do the Abrahamic religions hate the female body so much? Rhondazvous 84 10858 June 18, 2018 at 1:00 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  Should Governments regulate fraudulent religions? Greatest I am 37 12858 March 23, 2018 at 12:52 pm
Last Post: Succubus
  How I view all the world's religions. Brian37 0 600 March 22, 2018 at 4:19 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Why you should distrust all religions. Jehanne 57 11093 January 9, 2018 at 8:26 pm
Last Post: GrandizerII
  Why are most religions agains homosexuality? Der/die AtheistIn 140 22841 December 22, 2017 at 9:48 am
Last Post: Antares