Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 1:50 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
There is no "I" in "You"
There is no "I" in "You"
Can anyone answer why you're you.....and not me?

By what method of determination do I experience existence separate from your experience; more to the point, what determined both our particular experiences and could one have been shunt in place of another (by what alternate means could I have experienced existence through your perspective or vice versa)?

Why here, why now...why not exist a thousand years from now or a thousand years past?

Can this ever be coherently approached or determined materialistically/scientifically? Or, is metaphysics a fundamental necessity?
RE: There is no "I" in "You"
(damn, this is my best sock ever !!)
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

"There's no I in you"

Dammit, I thought this was going to be a pickup line thread.

Sad

Sorry, in a weird mood.
Dying to live, living to die.
I have two I's.

But seriously, this sounds dangerously close to getting into some Eastern-style oneness or metaphysical consciousness woo.
In every country and every age, the priest had been hostile to Liberty.
- Thomas Jefferson
Embrace the dichotomy that is the oneness of dualistic individuality
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

(May 17, 2016 at 3:49 pm)FatAndFaithless Wrote: I have two I's.

But seriously, this sounds dangerously close to getting into some Eastern-style oneness or metaphysical consciousness woo.

Indeed. 
Is there a non-woo answer?
Separate bodies.  Separate genetics.  Separate minds.  Pure chance.  Roll of the human genetic dice.  
No consciousness without the brain, no afterlife, no metaphysical woo involved.
"The family that prays together...is brainwashing their children."- Albert Einstein
(May 17, 2016 at 3:57 pm)quip Wrote:
(May 17, 2016 at 3:49 pm)FatAndFaithless Wrote: I have two I's.

Indeed. 

Yes.  The non-woo answer is "I don't know. Let's see if we can find out more in the future."
- Thomas Jefferson
(May 17, 2016 at 4:01 pm)drfuzzy Wrote: Separate bodies.  Separate genetics.  Separate minds.  Pure chance.  Roll of the human genetic dice.  
No consciousness without the brain, no afterlife, no metaphysical woo involved.

By what environs and contingencies are these "roll of the dice" made....and who or what is rolling them?

(May 17, 2016 at 4:01 pm)FatAndFaithless Wrote:
(May 17, 2016 at 3:57 pm)quip Wrote: Indeed. 

Yes.  The non-woo answer is "I don't know. Let's see if we can find out more in the future."

That dodge begs the very question:  Can the future reveal it's secrets?
I don't know, let's see if we can find out more in the future.
- Thomas Jefferson