Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 3:44 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Atheism vs. God's Existence
Atheism vs. God's Existence
I am curious what some compelling reasons are for becoming an atheist. What are some reasons that have been the deciding factor?
RE: Atheism vs. God's Existence
Not believing in deities is all you need to be an atheist.
Dying to live, living to die.
(May 17, 2016 at 3:52 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: Not believing in deities is all you need to be an atheist.

Right, but what made you personally decide that God did not exist, and the arguments for atheism were ultimately outweighing all other arguments.
"An atheist" is just someone who doesn't accept the claim that a god(s) exist. The more accurate question is why should someone believe in a god?
In every country and every age, the priest had been hostile to Liberty.
- Thomas Jefferson
(May 17, 2016 at 3:54 pm)sk123 Wrote:
(May 17, 2016 at 3:52 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: Not believing in deities is all you need to be an atheist.

Right, but what made you personally decide that God did not exist, and the arguments for atheism were ultimately outweighing all other arguments.

Atheism isn't claiming that a god doesn't exist...it's simply being unconvinced that he does.
In every country and every age, the priest had been hostile to Liberty.
- Thomas Jefferson
(May 17, 2016 at 3:51 pm)sk123 Wrote: I am curious what some compelling reasons are for becoming an atheist. What are some reasons that have been the deciding factor?

"Becoming an atheist"?  Most people don't choose it deliberately.  They just look at a belief system and realize that they can't believe the claims.  

Read through the forum threads.  Do a Google search on atheist books.  The End of Faith by Sam Harris, or God, the Failed Hypothesis by Victor Stenger.  I liked Joshua Kelly's "Oh Your God", and am reading The Atheist Manifesto by Michael Onfray.  (I don't like the title, but he writes well.)  Do a Google search for "reasons for atheism" and just read and decide for yourself.
"The family that prays together...is brainwashing their children."- Albert Einstein
There wasn't a deciding factor for me. It was just the result of years of questioning and looking into things for myself. I was never religious but I always said I believed in god in a general sense without really knowing why. When I started to question why, the idea of god fell apart.

An atheist isn't necessarily claiming that they know no gods exist. They just don't believe in any.

Me personally, I won't claim to know what I can't possibly know, but I don't believe either. I've never seen a sufficient reason to do so. I'm comfortable enough with the unknown to leave it at that instead of replacing those unknowns with beliefs.
[Image: edgecrusher02.jpg]
Dearth of evidence.
The mean kids at school were gonna put bugs in my hair if I didn't stop believing in God, so I stopped believing in God.  So, you know, they wouldn't put bugs in my hair.  The mean kids.

(I'd give a more serious answer, but the OP positively reeks of eau de troll).

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
This question comes up a lot on atheist forums.

First of all, which god or gods are your referring to?

My reasons for being an atheist is, that no theist has ever been able to support their claims that a god exists. All I require to believe a god exists, is to be convinced. What will convince me, is demonstrable and falsifiable evidence, reasoned argument, and valid and sound logic.

My atheism is a provisional position, not a dogmatic one.

Ancient texts, anecdotal evidence, personal experiences, philosophical arguments (Kalam, ontological, teleological, etc are all flawed), etc are not good evidence.

You'd believe if you just opened your heart" is a terrible argument for religion. It's basically saying, "If you bias yourself enough, you can convince yourself that this is true." If religion were true, people wouldn't need faith to believe it -- it would be supported by good evidence.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Existence of Marcion questioned? JairCrawford 28 2116 March 4, 2022 at 1:34 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  The existence of god Foxaèr 16 2892 May 5, 2018 at 3:42 am
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  There is no argument for the existence of "God" Foxaèr 38 7446 March 15, 2016 at 8:50 am
Last Post: popsthebuilder
  Two ways to prove the existence of God. Also, what I'm looking for. IanHulett 9 3607 July 25, 2015 at 6:37 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  20 Arguments for God's existence? Foxaèr 17 4130 May 9, 2014 at 2:43 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Telephones Prove God's Existence Mudhammam 9 4146 February 6, 2014 at 6:41 am
Last Post: Mudhammam
  God is god, and we are not god StoryBook 43 12411 January 6, 2014 at 5:47 pm
Last Post: StoryBook
  Debating the existence of Jesus CleanShavenJesus 52 24850 June 26, 2013 at 3:27 pm
Last Post: Bad Writer
  Science explains the existence of God. Greatest I am 1 1527 August 13, 2012 at 2:49 pm
Last Post: 5thHorseman
  God get's angry, Moses changes God's plans of wrath, God regrets "evil" he planned Mystic 9 6693 February 16, 2012 at 8:17 am
Last Post: Strongbad