Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 8:42 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can you persuade me from Agnostic to Atheist?
Can you persuade me from Agnostic to Atheist?
Can anyone here persuade or convert me from being agnostic to being atheist? Smile
RE: Can you persuade me from Agnostic to Atheist?
They're not mutually exclusive terms. I am an agnostic atheist.

A/gnosticism has to do with knowledge; A/theism has to do with belief.
Nolite te bastardes carborundorum.
I am agnostic. And I am atheist. There's no contradiction in that.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
They don't believe in agnostics.
(May 19, 2016 at 2:01 pm)AgnosticMan123 Wrote: Can anyone here persuade or convert me from being agnostic to being atheist? Smile

Other than you? Probably not. I suppose we could work on that together, you and I. We'd need to know why you believe in god, first, to understand what you find compelling.

Welcome aboard, btw.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Hello, welcome!

Chances are, you're probably already what we would call "atheist". I explain about atheism and agnosticism on my website. Some people simply use words in different ways, which is fine, as long as we're all clear what they mean.

I have also made a video which explains the ins and outs here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d34BmGnrUEI
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(May 19, 2016 at 2:03 pm)ChadWooters Wrote: They don't believe in agnostics.

God is an agnostic?

"Oh dear," says God, "I hadn't thought of that" and promptly vanishes in a puff of logic.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
(May 19, 2016 at 2:03 pm)The_Empress Wrote: They're not mutually exclusive terms. I am an agnostic atheist.

A/gnosticism has to do with knowledge; A/theism has to do with belief.

By agnostic I meant I am neither a believer nor disbeliever that there is a God.  To me maybe there is a God and maybe there isn't.

Can you persuade me that there isn't a God?
Atheism isn't about proving or persuading someone that there isn't a God... atheism is simply not accepting the claim that "A god exists." If you don't accept the claim "A God exists," as true or likely true, then you're an atheist.
In every country and every age, the priest had been hostile to Liberty.
- Thomas Jefferson
(May 19, 2016 at 2:03 pm)abaris Wrote: I am agnostic. And I am atheist. There's no contradiction in that.

Thanks!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  An atheist can blaspheme god Interaktive 8 1111 December 30, 2022 at 11:11 pm
Last Post: Lek
  IF you deconverted in midlife, can you help? Dragonfly 222 27556 December 18, 2018 at 1:09 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Question from an agnostic chrisNub 41 9361 March 30, 2018 at 7:28 am
Last Post: robvalue
  My brother who used to be a devout Muslim is now agnostic Lebneni Murtad 4 1386 March 21, 2017 at 5:08 pm
Last Post: Mr Greene
  You can be an atheist and still follow the ten commandments as guidelines ErGingerbreadMandude 48 9664 January 30, 2017 at 3:00 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Atheists unite and help persuade Ambiguous Atheist 14 2660 December 2, 2016 at 3:01 am
Last Post: AceBoogie
  What is the right definition of agnostic? Red_Wind 27 5896 November 7, 2016 at 11:43 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Closet Atheist Coming Out and Telling Family and Friends You're An Atheist Cholley71 10 7029 September 27, 2016 at 1:01 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  Well, I just can't change that I'm Agnostic... LivingNumbers6.626 15 3023 July 6, 2016 at 4:33 am
Last Post: Alex K
  Everyone is Agnostic z7z 16 3384 June 26, 2016 at 10:36 am
Last Post: Whateverist