Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 2:12 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Family christenings, weddings etc
Family christenings, weddings etc
Sorry if this has been asked before, but I am just wondering what most of you atheists do when you are invited to a christening, church wedding or funeral. Do you go in order to not upset the family member concerned, or opt out? The last such service I attended was 3 years ago, to the christening of my husband's great niece. I felt very uncomfortable throughout the whole thing and couldn't wait to get outAngry. This child's mother is due to give birth again next week, and I have already told hubby I will not be going this time.
RE: Family christenings, weddings etc
I do not go to christenings. I do go to funerals, but only to say goodbye to the person that died, not for any religious mumblings. Weddings depends on who is getting married, but again, not for the religious stuff, I'd rather just attend the reception afterward and congratulate them there. If I am required in church, I normally stay in the back and do not disturb the ceremonies.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
I'd go to a funeral, although only in the way leo-rcc said...nothing more than a last goodbye.

I only go to weddings if I like the people getting married or they are close family.

Any other superfluous ceremonies like christenings I completely ignore, they are pointless and only serve the childish beliefs of those who hold them.
"God is dead" - Friedrich Nietzsche

"Faith is what you have in things that DON'T exist. - Homer J. Simpson
I simply decline the invitation.
Eeyore Wrote:Thanks for noticing.
My sister, a devoted catholic asked me to make a reading of scripture in my nephew's baptism. After my rant about indoctrination that took a week or so, she still refuses to let go, so I accepted, and I accepted because the bible quote didn't talked about supernatural stuff and god, just common sense child education. The theists all were very surprised I did that, though I didn't bow for the priest on my way to the reading station, nor made the sign of the cross. Was my action hypocritical?
(August 1, 2010 at 3:00 pm)LastPoet Wrote: My sister, a devoted catholic asked me to make a reading of scripture in my nephew's baptism. After my rant about indoctrination that took a week or so, she still refuses to let go, so I accepted, and I accepted because the bible quote didn't talked about supernatural stuff and god, just common sense child education. The theists all were very surprised I did that, though I didn't bow for the priest on my way to the reading station, nor made the sign of the cross. Was my action hypocritical?

I don't think so at all. I think it was selfless and demonstrated how much you care for your sister. The bible is a book, like the ones Stephen King might write, maybe less interesting. Just because you read it doesn't mean you believe it.

I agree with most everyone else that it would depend on who was inviting me to what and the nature of the ceremony as to whether I would go or not.
I'll go to most anything, because I'd be going for the people - not to hear the religious blurbs. If it's something that is important to someone I love, you can probably bet I'll go.
(August 2, 2010 at 4:02 pm)Skeptisma Wrote: I'll go to most anything, because I'd be going for the people - not to hear the religious blurbs. If it's something that is important to someone I love, you can probably bet I'll go.

Same here...

Did storm out of a confirmation when the fucking priest started ranting about what a sinner my neice was!!

Gggggggggggggggrrrrrr Devil
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
"I'd be going for the people".

That was the answer that meant something to me. Thank you Smile
I go to weddings (to share in the celebration) and funerals (to support the family). I refuse to attend ridiculous nonsensical rituals like baptisms, confirmations, communions, pageants, etc...

My wife's family are all believers and they have had their kids all go through the obligatory indoctrination rituals. I have attended none of it. (I also have to add that their youngest kid was baptized by a priest who was later discovered to be a pedophile!) I have attended the parties they have thrown after these things, but I have made it a point NOT to congratulate the kid. (What has the kid done anyway? Sit in a classroom, listen to bullshit and then participate in a moronic ritual? Yeah, that's a real accomplishment...) It even kind of gets under my skin that my wife gives these kids money for this crap.

We have no kids (and don't plan any), but if we did, I know my wife's family would immediately be asking when the baptism would be. I would enjoy telling them that there wasn't going to be a baptism. I'm sure they would be shocked and my mother-in-law would no doubt be horrified. I'm sure she would say, "You have to get the baby baptised!" I'd love asking her why we have to dump water on the baby's head. She would almost certainly just reply, "Well, you have to!" Yeah, that's a reason!
(August 3, 2010 at 1:49 am)KichigaiNeko Wrote: Did storm out of a confirmation when the fucking priest started ranting about what a sinner my neice was!!

Gggggggggggggggrrrrrr Devil

What? Why would a priest take the occasion of a confirmation to chastise your niece for being "a sinner"? Was she the one getting confirmed?
Science flies us to the moon and stars. Religion flies us into buildings.

God allowed 200,000 people to die in an earthquake. So what makes you think he cares about YOUR problems?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Family is always asking me to come to religious celebrations Tomatoshadow2 25 1712 April 11, 2023 at 6:24 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Standing up to family for what you believe in Tomatoshadow2 30 2248 May 4, 2022 at 9:20 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Family not accepting you're an Atheist UniverseCaptain 45 5069 October 28, 2021 at 12:51 am
Last Post: slartibartfast
  A question about atheistic “beliefs” (opinions, guesses, etc.) Frank Apisa 252 14836 June 30, 2021 at 6:51 pm
Last Post: Rahn127
  Thanksgiving and Family BrokenQuill92 18 3090 December 7, 2019 at 3:31 pm
Last Post: mordant
  How religious or nonreligious is your family? Casca 44 4150 December 30, 2016 at 7:34 pm
Last Post: camlov2019
  I Walked Away From Christianity, but How do I Walk Away From My Family? Rhondazvous 14 2762 October 31, 2016 at 2:57 am
Last Post: AceBoogie
  Closet Atheist Coming Out and Telling Family and Friends You're An Atheist Cholley71 10 6956 September 27, 2016 at 1:01 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  Telling my family? CloverGrace 10 2026 August 28, 2016 at 6:59 pm
Last Post: KevinM1
  Life's meaning when you are an atheist - reality, struggle, etc. bussta33 11 4273 December 11, 2015 at 7:21 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet