Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 8:33 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What did you want to be / do when you grew up?
I wanted to be an Astronaut. Sounds stupid now but that's what I fancied to do as a child.
RE: What did you want to be / do when you grew up?
I really, really wanted to be a cartoonist. Not a weekly panel in the newspaper, but an animator. I absolutely adored the golden age of cartoons (which I adamantly say is the 90s), and shows like Doug, Hey Arnold, The Wild Thornberries, etc, really inspired me when I was young.

Just turns out I can't draw or color for shit, so that didn't pan out.
In every country and every age, the priest had been hostile to Liberty.
- Thomas Jefferson
I just wanted to be rich and live in a nice house. Never gave much thought about how I'd get it, probably should have.
"Adulthood is like looking both ways before you cross the road, and then getting hit by an airplane"  - sarcasm_only

"Ironically like the nativist far-Right, which despises multiculturalism, but benefits from its ideas of difference to scapegoat the other and to promote its own white identity politics; these postmodernists, leftists, feminists and liberals also use multiculturalism, to side with the oppressor, by demanding respect and tolerance for oppression characterised as 'difference', no matter how intolerable."
- Maryam Namazie

Astronaut. Hard.

I was making headway. My plan was happening.

Naval Academy, check.
#1 in my class on the ASTB (Aviation Selection Test Battery), check.
Aeronautical Engineering degree, check.
Pipelined for Test Pilot School in Patuxent River, MD, check.

Medical Screening - scoliosis.

We're sorry, Midshipman, but you're medically DQ'ed from being a pilot. You can drive ships instead.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
Not sure I recollect. Know that I was groomed to be a musician or sciencey guy. Science (medical) won out.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
Comic book writer/artist

Rock god (judging the quality of asphalt aggregates counts, right?)

Director/actor

Ended up with just a shit ton of hobbies.

ETA: @Steel Damn.
I can't remember where this verse is from, I think it got removed from canon:

"I don't hang around with mostly men because I'm gay. It's because men are better than women. Better trained, better equipped...better. Just better! I'm not gay."

For context, this is the previous verse:

"Hi Jesus" -robvalue
(May 23, 2016 at 4:52 pm)SteelCurtain Wrote: Astronaut. Hard.

I was making headway. My plan was happening.

Naval Academy, check.
#1 in my class on the ASTB (Aviation Selection Test Battery), check.
Aeronautical Engineering degree, check.
Pipelined for Test Pilot School in Patuxent River, MD, check.

Medical Screening - scoliosis.

We're sorry, Midshipman, but you're medically DQ'ed from being a pilot. You can drive ships instead.

Well that just sucks. I give you credit for your accomplishments if that means anything to you. You certainly have some grey matter to get that far.
(May 23, 2016 at 4:47 pm)FatAndFaithless Wrote: I really, really wanted to be a cartoonist. Not a weekly panel in the newspaper, but an animator. I absolutely adored the golden age of cartoons (which I adamantly say is the 90s), and shows like Doug, Hey Arnold, The Wild Thornberries, etc, really inspired me when I was young.

Just turns out I can't draw or color for shit, so that didn't pan out.

[Youtube]dDMQ3tXNKgM[/youtube]

Those are fine shows, but allow me to counter with some Fleischer.
I can't remember where this verse is from, I think it got removed from canon:

"I don't hang around with mostly men because I'm gay. It's because men are better than women. Better trained, better equipped...better. Just better! I'm not gay."

For context, this is the previous verse:

"Hi Jesus" -robvalue
When growing up is such a wide field. I wanted to be an archeologist, studied history instead because I couldn't be arsed to learn greek, which is a requirement for archeology in my corner of the world. I also wanted to be an author, became a journalist instead. The interests stayed the same, only the reality changed.

I've never been into the classic boy dreams of what to become. Astronauts, well they fascinated me, since one of my first memories were the lunar landings. I was allowed to stay up for the very first time when Apollo 11 landed, but I never wanted to be one of them.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
Childhood dreams vs reality. What a bitch it is.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What did you know yesterday that you don't know today? Gawdzilla Sama 14 1007 December 4, 2023 at 9:43 am
Last Post: brewer
  Which do you want to go? Foxaèr 13 727 October 18, 2023 at 10:49 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Do people just naturally want conflict Ahriman 113 3522 September 26, 2023 at 10:29 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Why does everyone want to advertise in their signature? Foxaèr 2 331 September 14, 2020 at 8:23 am
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Already want to change my name again Foxaèr 14 729 July 12, 2020 at 1:24 am
Last Post: ignoramus
Wink Want to read about my mom?? Clueless Morgan 2 641 April 5, 2019 at 2:47 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Are you the monster you want to be? Angrboda 48 2433 January 13, 2019 at 12:33 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  I want a nanny! ignoramus 2 411 November 14, 2018 at 7:33 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  For those who understand the law better than me (would you want it this way too?) Foxaèr 9 1150 July 27, 2018 at 6:24 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Would you want to go to Westworld? Alexmahone 11 970 May 18, 2018 at 3:29 am
Last Post: Little lunch