Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 6:15 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fruit trees and necessity
Fruit trees and necessity
Here is a single question posed in two different formulas:

1) Do fruit trees make fruit according to certain conditions or not?

2) Do certain conditions determine that fruit trees make fruit or not?

Choose one or both, and answer. You can explain your answer too, if you'd like. Thanks!

[Image: 14uv9n.jpg]
RE: Fruit trees and necessity
I'm not sure exactly what the language used means. But I'll interpret it as best I can.

1) Yes. It needs conditions to be met such as receiving enough water, nutrients, sunlight etc. I'm sure there are more fundamental conditions such as the fruit tree existing, the tree having certain DNA, reality existing, the rules of physics working a certain way, and so on.

2) It sounds like the same question, but worded a bit more naturally. So the answer is the same.

If my answers aren't appropriate because I've misinterpreted the language, then feel free to clarify how this is the case.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(May 27, 2016 at 6:15 am)robvalue Wrote: I'm not sure exactly what the language used means. But I'll interpret it as best I can.

1) Yes. It needs conditions to be met such as receiving enough water, nutrients, sunlight etc. I'm sure there are more fundamental conditions such as the fruit tree existing, reality existing, the rules of physics working a certain way, and so on.

2) It sounds like the same question, but worded a bit more naturally. So the answer is the same.

If my answers aren't appropriate because I've misinterpreted the language, then feel free to clarify how this is the case.

Thanks, Rob! You seem to have understood the language quite well.

It is such a simple question with an evident answer, that it might seem unusual that I ask it at all. Surprisingly, I've run into difficulties about this question in a different thread. I thought I'd post the question here to test if it is as controversial/contestable as it seems to be in the other thread.

While I wait for other responses: Would you say that it is evident (or at least, demonstrable) that certain conditions determine that fruit trees make fruit or not?
You're welcome Smile

Sure yes, beyond reasonable doubt. We can never make absolute statements of certainty outside of abstract systems; in science we are ultimately only ever correlating data and drawing conclusions.

To put it another way: it is evident that the probability there has been some mistake, and that these conditions aren't required, is negligible, for all practical purposes.

But as I said, language is tricky and needs to be precise. So it depends on the example and the context.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
Great! Let's see if anyone disagrees with you.
If you're talking about the one specific tree in the beginning of that fantasy of yours then I have no comment.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(May 27, 2016 at 7:43 am)mh.brewer Wrote: If you're talking about the one specific tree in the beginning of that fantasy of yours then I have no comment.

I'm not talking about that tree. Do you have a comment?
Yes to both 1 and 2.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
Great! Thank you!
Angiospermae usually polynize via insects. There are reasons you shouldn't plant an orange tree near a lemon tree. It will give you sour oranges and sweeter lemons lol. 100 meters should do it.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Bug Do Fruit Flies Have Emotions? Hatshepsut 28 3253 May 16, 2015 at 7:56 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Ego-- harmful delusion or pragmatic necessity? bennyboy 28 5696 May 6, 2015 at 4:34 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet