Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 5:59 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I want some advice
I want some advice
I got a text from a "friend" from school last night.
I put friend in quotes because this guy was barely a friend.

We were in the same school for two years. The first year I was a total Crack pot, I had that afro type hair and walked around like a zombie, mostly because of the lack of sleep. I was rarely home and it caused many fights with mom too. That year I hit rock bottom, my girl dumped me, I scored a near miss 63% in the finals, I was depressed, suicidal,my teachers who thought highly of me looked at me like I was a useless idiot that's gonna be a bum for the rest of his life. It was torture,I had to walk around campus with my head down, I hated myself.

This friend I mentioned, let's name him Mike. Now Mike was a hardcore bro with me in the first year. But that was the year I hit rock bottom. It was a real eye opener for me. I started not staying out late, doing my studies, basically cleared my head and returned to my old self.
These guys hated that I was changing so much, they made fun about how I was being such a nerd, I didn't give a fuck, I had my future to care about, I HAD to work my ass off, these friends of mine had rich ass parents, they didn't have to even to come school. I stayed up late studying and these guys hated me for it because I was not getting together with them anymore. They did all sorts of shit and was anything but supportive of my life goals. I finally said fuck em cunts and just focused on myself.

Despite being a total zombie loser the first year,and despite year 2 study material being a follow up of year 1, I scored 80% in the finals of year 2. I wasn't happy because I expected so much more but I wasn't depressed and suicidal either.

Fast forward a couple of years, I scored a seat at my college and now am relaxed as I'm doing a degree which for me requires little to no effort to excel. Those so called friends went their seperate ways. We didn't keep contact, I was glad I didn't have to be around them anymore.

So after years of having 0 contact this guy texts me out of the blue last night. Lots of enquiry about how I was doing and stuff and then he finally got to the point, "bro I need some help with something".
Knew it. Well apparently he has this total genius plan of this business. He wants to"help" me by offering this totally awesome offer.
Right bruh, years of no contact and suddenly you got this total awesome deal and you thought about me and how you wanted so much to help me. Such sincere, much honest.
Bitch please. If this were a few years back I'd have jumped on board without a thought. Not now buddy,not today.

He knew I was good with those "computer stuff" when we were in school. He used to make fun of me regularly for being such a stuck up dork that needs to loosen up and hang out with ze Bros more again (they were hardly Bros). Now he wants ME who was good with those "computer stuff" to help HIM with his business.

Obviously I was nice our entire conversation and said I'd see what I can do and get in touch with him. The most baffling thing was he tried to spin it like he was doing ME a favor. He called a few hours ago and said how this is a once in a lifetime opportunity (for him obviously,not me) and how much I am going to miss out if I don't make it(yeah right). He was saying how tight we were and he wanted to share all this goodness and treasures with his best buddy,ie,me.

Haha. He must think I'm naive. Fucking dumbass. I can smell his desperation and he's scrambling HARD.

Tbh, if he'd been just straight up with me and just told me what he wanted from me instead of beating around the Bush and trying to manipulate me into thinking he's doing me a favor , I'd have given him some consideration. I said that I was busy and told him to call me after a few hours,which he surely will. I don't know what to do.

On the one hand there is this opportunity presenting itself to me. On the other hand I KNOW he's being insincere and just trying to use me to further himself. Obviously I'd prefer to just ignore him, but I don't want to stain connections that would serve useful in the future.

What should I do??
RE: I want some advice
Politely decline. He's going to try to fuck you over either way.
Urbs Antiqua Fuit Studiisque Asperrima Belli

Home
Haven't you made up your mind already? If you don't wanna be with him, then don't. Just, very politely, tell him to fuck off.
Quote:To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.
- Lau Tzu

Join me on atheistforums Slack Cool Shades (pester tibs via pm if you need invite) Tongue

I agree, I don't see anything good coming from this. Did he say what the job or whatever was about?

I had a stranger tell me once that she had the once in a lifetime opportunity for me and was going to share it with me because I'm such a great guy, and it turned out to be some pyramid scheme to sell magical asian fruit juice Smile
Maybe your friend is in something like that, ppl trapped in these schemes are desperate to find new "partners".
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

I'd hear his whole pitch. Listen, shit stains have a tendency to be successful. It's almost a qualification. If he's not asking for money, but he wants your expertise and I'm assuming your intellectual property, you drive a hard bargain. Whatever the project is, you want a chunk of it.

It's no skin off your back if he declines. He needs you, and you don't need him. That's a prime position to be in.

ETA: I am assuming he's starting a company or needs technical help selling his product. If he's trying to get you to buy into something---anything---My advice is the same as everyone else's.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
I'd definitely say no. Him as a person and his traits that he has, seems like narcissism and manipulation, potentially a psychopath is something I'd stay away from, he can fuck off. Find a job with trustworthy and friendly co-workers you like, doesn't matter how much less you make etc atm. Although it doesn't seem like he'll want you for a long run
You could say fuck him, steal his business idea, become a multimillionaire, and laugh the rest of your life. But I'm not sure that would be right.

Ask to see his business plan and projected profits for the next 5 years. See where you fit into the plan. Leverage yourself accordingly. Or suck fuck him.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(May 28, 2016 at 5:51 am)SteelCurtain Wrote: I'd hear his whole pitch. Listen, shit stains have a tendency to be successful. It's almost a qualification. If he's not asking for money, but he wants your expertise and I'm assuming your intellectual property, you drive a hard bargain. Whatever the project is, you want a chunk of it.

It's no skin off your back if he declines. He needs you, and you don't need him. That's a prime position to be in.

ETA: I am assuming he's starting a company or needs technical help selling his product. If he's trying to get you to buy into something---anything---My advice is the same as everyone else's.

Even if it were a business proposition yer man would still look to fuck pool over, just like Edison did to Tesla after Tesla saved his company. And given the disparity in circumstances Mike'll have the whip hand, even with a contract. Money buys a lot of justice.
Urbs Antiqua Fuit Studiisque Asperrima Belli

Home
Thanks guys Smile
Thing is I'm already in a comfortable position job -wise. I'm doing an internship in a company(you knew that) and my mentor was impressed with me (thankfully). He said that he would pitch to make me perm if I did a good job in my internship. It's a small company, so everyone's really close,I really like working close with people , it's a great environment and we have tons of abundance of work to do. It's a perfect environment for me, I love doing lots of work,staying late and working(kind of a workaholic) etc.

He was really vague when he called me. I told him to straight up tell me what he wanted from me. My guess is he wants me to build him something like an app or a website for his company probably for less money (he'll play the bro card) . But the interesting part was he was very defensive when I asked him to tell me what he wanted, he was telling me like "what are you dumb dude? This is business stuff, I can't tell this over the phone". I do understand his concerns but I don't appreciate getting talked to addressing me as a dumbass, especially when he needs me and not the other way around, I guess he didn't get the memo that I changed immensely since our last interaction. He probably thinks I'm still that really skinny guy that was such a pushover, really wanted to punch his face when he talked to me like that, we weren't even close, it's common to talk with an insult tone with friends but he isn't a friend,I guess he was trying to like put on the vibe that "yee we're still Bros man". Fucking dipshit.

It's possible that he'll ask me for an investment. That is probably the reason why he wanted to meet in person, so that he can sway me away with his charisma and I'll have a harder time saying no to his face (like hell).

I could be my blatant self and tell him straight up to go fuck himself but this is about connections. I ruled this guy out of the friend sector long ago, he's purely business sector, I might have some use of him in the future, so I'm gonna bite my tongue and probably tell him politely that I'm too busy and just can't make it.
If I did discuss more and scheduled an appointment with him.
He'll for sure play the friends card so that I'll accept lesser pay because "he's just a startup". I'll have a hard time declining that, not because we're close but because he'll use this to paint me as this total asshole that forgot the "good ol days" . It's bad rep in my social circle. I'm sure as hell not going to call him. If he does call me again, I think I should make up some reason and tell him I can't make it.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Serious] A thought I had about some people's view on some things medical and other things ShinyCrystals 15 746 October 22, 2023 at 1:31 pm
Last Post: ShinyCrystals
  Which do you want to go? Foxaèr 13 727 October 18, 2023 at 10:49 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Do people just naturally want conflict Ahriman 113 3522 September 26, 2023 at 10:29 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Why does everyone want to advertise in their signature? Foxaèr 2 329 September 14, 2020 at 8:23 am
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Already want to change my name again Foxaèr 14 729 July 12, 2020 at 1:24 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Advice about patience Macoleco 4 540 March 26, 2020 at 5:24 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
Music The best advice someone gave you. onlinebiker 65 6024 April 14, 2019 at 8:33 pm
Last Post: chimp3
  The WORST Advice Someone Ever Gave You BrianSoddingBoru4 11 1030 April 14, 2019 at 2:12 pm
Last Post: Fireball
Wink Want to read about my mom?? Clueless Morgan 2 641 April 5, 2019 at 2:47 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Are you the monster you want to be? Angrboda 48 2409 January 13, 2019 at 12:33 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician