Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 4:57 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stories/movies/books hidden meanings.
Stories/movies/books hidden meanings.
I was watching Drop Dead Fred.  I hadn't seen it since I was about 9 and re watching it gave me a whole new perspective.  This film has horrible reviews so maybe most people haven't seen it.  I loved it when I was younger so did most people in my school.  The film has always got me a bit emotional and when I rewatched it today with a girl I know I was fighting hard to keep the tears back so I didn't look like a total pussy, but it was tough.

When I first watched the film I just thought it was about an imaginary friend who's a bit more aggressively real than usual imaginary friends.  I watched it again as a 31 year old as opposed to a 9 year old and to me it seems like this is a story about some crazy mental break down.

She destroys her friends houseboat, totally sinks it, ruins her parents home, throws paint over someone's grandma, starts food fights generally causes havoc wherever she goes.  

Drop Dead Fred, the imaginary friend only appears when her parents are having a rough time with arguments and when she's older and she finds out her husband is cheating.

There's so much symbolism in the film, not that I completely understand it all.  In the end she's cured of her mental illness/ no longer needs Drop Dead Fred.  But she sees another child playing with Drop Dead Fred and smiles.

I'm guessing the bottom line to all the hidden meanings (now I'm 31 the meanings don't seem actually all that well hidden) are Drop Dead Fred is her self destructive, self deceptive mental illness.  At one point when the girl is a child drop dead fred is  trapped in a jack in the box by the girls mother and taped shut.  This represents her repressed childhood trauma/ mental illness being repressed because of her strict mother basically telling her to shut up, rather than her dealing with it properly.  This leads her to open the jack in the box/ have a mental breakdown, later in life when her husband cheats on her.

Anyway, I like talking about hidden meanings in films I know hence I think it would make a good thread.  Even if it's just amateur psychology/philosophical style guess work on what hidden meanings are.

Are you ready for the fire? We are firemen. WE ARE FIREMEN! The heat doesn’t bother us. We live in the heat. We train in the heat. It tells us that we’re ready, we’re at home, we’re where we’re supposed to be. Flames don’t intimidate us. What do we do? We control the flame. We control them. We move the flames where we want to. And then we extinguish them.

Impersonation is treason.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What about Michael Talbot's Books?! A-g-n-o-s-t-i-c 3 890 January 6, 2014 at 7:35 am
Last Post: A-g-n-o-s-t-i-c
  Hidden God theory ziyadalvi 12 4048 July 27, 2013 at 9:00 am
Last Post: ziyadalvi
  Zen Stories Tino 0 777 October 27, 2012 at 5:54 pm
Last Post: Tino
  God as the hidden basis to our knowledge. Mystic 26 11234 May 31, 2012 at 12:00 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris