Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 3:54 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How are Atoms Differentiated When Quanta are Not?
How are Atoms Differentiated When Quanta are Not?
While there are hydrogen atoms and oxygen atoms, I’ve never heard of a hydrogen electron or oxygen proton. This leads me to conclude that quanta are not differentiated, but that leaves me to wonder, if a fermion is a fermion, what makes some atoms hydrogen and some oxygen? My first guess would be the number of electrons, but that number is not constant.
The god who allows children to be raped out of respect for the free will choice of the rapist, but punishes gay men for engaging in mutually consensual sex couldn't possibly be responsible for an intelligently designed universe.

I may defend your right to free speech, but i won't help you pass out flyers.

Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.
--Voltaire

Nietzsche isn't dead. How do I know he lives? He lives in my mind.
RE: How are Atoms Differentiated When Quanta are Not?
(June 1, 2016 at 8:38 am)Rhondazvous Wrote: While there are hydrogen atoms and oxygen atoms, I’ve never heard of a hydrogen electron or oxygen proton. This leads me to conclude that quanta are not differentiated, but that leaves me to wonder, if a fermion is a fermion, what makes some atoms hydrogen and some oxygen? My first guess would be the number of electrons, but that number is not constant.

Atoms of different elements have different numbers of protons and neutrons as well as as electrons.

The number of protons determines what element it is.
Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
The amount of protons and neutrons dictates the physical properties of matter.
The heavier the atom, the denser the nucleus, the more complex is the electron "virtual" orbits.
This affects the electronegativity of the atom. This value also dictates how aggressively it can react or not react with other elements.

This is/was the classic model. Anything more granular and you need to go subatomic. (beyond my pay grade)
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
Exactly as the others said, the number of Protons. That will indirectly influence the number of Electrons, because only when there are as many electrons as protons is the atom electrically neutral, otherwise it will tend to kick an electron out or acquire a new one. Since that happens all the time, and in molecules and crystals it is not clear which electron belongs to which atom, one uses the protons as the unique identifier.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Eye c

Danke!
The god who allows children to be raped out of respect for the free will choice of the rapist, but punishes gay men for engaging in mutually consensual sex couldn't possibly be responsible for an intelligently designed universe.

I may defend your right to free speech, but i won't help you pass out flyers.

Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.
--Voltaire

Nietzsche isn't dead. How do I know he lives? He lives in my mind.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLSfgNxoVGk
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Question about General rel and quanta phys Won2blv 4 742 August 9, 2023 at 9:24 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  When Do Quanta Pass Through the Higgs Field? What is a Higgs Boson Before Excitation Rhondazvous 17 4902 June 28, 2017 at 6:13 pm
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  Atoms energy expansion Marsellus Wallace 6 1432 March 10, 2014 at 5:19 am
Last Post: Alex K
  Atoms up close Euler 8 2492 February 14, 2013 at 10:41 am
Last Post: ManMachine
  Single atoms isolated! theVOID 7 3479 September 28, 2010 at 10:39 pm
Last Post: theVOID
  Understanding atoms. CoxRox 35 14885 December 31, 2008 at 2:26 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet