Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 8:47 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A side-effect of global warming.
A side-effect of global warming.
CO2 concentrations seem to be increasing at 4 ppm, at least according to recent measurements:

https://www.co2.earth/

Some, of course, doubt that significant global warming will be an issue, but regardless of that, what happens if CO2 levels rise above 2,000 ppm:

Quote:What are safe levels of CO and CO2 in rooms?

250-350ppm:  Normal background concentration in outdoor ambient air
350-1,000ppm:  Concentrations typical of occupied indoor spaces with good air exchange
1,000-2,000ppm:  Complaints of drowsiness and poor air.
2,000-5,000 ppm:  Headaches, sleepiness and stagnant, stale, stuffy air. Poor concentration, loss of attention, increased heart rate and slight nausea may also be present.
5,000 ppm:  Workplace exposure limit (as 8-hour TWA) in most jurisdictions.
>40,000 ppm:  Exposure may lead to serious oxygen deprivation resulting in permanent brain damage, coma, even death.

https://www.kane.co.uk/knowledge-centre/...2-in-rooms
RE: A side-effect of global warming.
The documentary Cowspiracy raises a rather valid point that no matter what we do to decrease our carbon footprint, it simply will do no good unless animal farming is decreased dramatically.

Unfortunately, we live in a society that values eating meat, and animal farming is the source of humanity's meat.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
(June 3, 2016 at 4:14 pm)Maelstrom Wrote: The documentary Cowspiracy raises a rather valid point that no matter what we do to decrease our carbon footprint, it simply will do no good unless animal farming is decreased dramatically.  

Unfortunately, we live in a society that values eating meat, and animal farming is the source of humanity's meat.

I love meat and would be incredibly happy if we found another way, but it seems like we'll HAVE to give it up unless we want to fuck up. My life will lose its meaning the day I'll eat my rice without some chicken, the day where my burger will be made out of that soy shit.
There is actually a university in Minnesota that discovered a way of producing real, kill-free, uncontaminated meat via harvesting animal cells.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
I've cut back my beef intake dramatically over the last couple of years anyway. Loves me some yardbird.

I will miss beef, also; of course, another issue is the suffering that we humans cause our non-human animals when we slaughter them for food.
(June 3, 2016 at 6:31 pm)RozKek Wrote:
(June 3, 2016 at 4:14 pm)Maelstrom Wrote: The documentary Cowspiracy raises a rather valid point that no matter what we do to decrease our carbon footprint, it simply will do no good unless animal farming is decreased dramatically.  

I love meat and would be incredibly happy if we found another way, but it seems like we'll HAVE to give it up unless we want to fuck up. My life will lose its meaning the day I'll eat my rice without some chicken, the day where my burger will be made out of that soy shit.

[Image: soylent-green-is-people-6.gif]
(June 3, 2016 at 9:28 pm)Minimalist Wrote:
(June 3, 2016 at 6:31 pm)RozKek Wrote: I love meat and would be incredibly happy if we found another way, but it seems like we'll HAVE to give it up unless we want to fuck up. My life will lose its meaning the day I'll eat my rice without some chicken, the day where my burger will be made out of that soy shit.

[Image: soylent-green-is-people-6.gif]

[Image: soylent-green-20110720-170654.jpg]
Atheism is a non-prophet organization join today. 

Code:
<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/255506953&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>
(June 3, 2016 at 6:35 pm)Maelstrom Wrote: There is actually a university in Minnesota that discovered a way of producing real, kill-free, uncontaminated meat via harvesting animal cells.

I am for lab grown meat even if people say its disgusting its better for our carbon footprint in the end.
Atheism is a non-prophet organization join today. 

Code:
<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/255506953&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>
Inventing the bbq and eating meat is what made us intelligent in the first place.
It would be stupid to regress back to being herbivores.

As much as our morals might dislike the wholesale corporatised killing of animals, it's who we are.
It's still the law of the jungle, it's just that we don't need to personally attack and kill our food anymore.
We just pay others to do that for us.
We have progressed!
We are much more efficient at killing things!
We are natural born killers. Sad but true.
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Doppler Effect...... Brian37 25 1395 May 4, 2021 at 3:34 pm
Last Post: HappySkeptic
  The Doppelgänger Effect..... BrianSoddingBoru4 0 301 May 2, 2021 at 5:12 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  The Doppler Effect in Time Rhondazvous 11 1639 August 9, 2018 at 11:02 am
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Great blog post on the history of global warming science. Jehanne 0 601 December 17, 2016 at 8:05 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  mandela effect Marsellus Wallace 65 6477 July 13, 2016 at 7:57 pm
Last Post: Little lunch
  Global ocean discovered on Saturn moon Cyberman 24 5206 September 17, 2015 at 11:55 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Global Warming: Long term observations yield unsurprising results popeyespappy 55 9475 March 14, 2015 at 7:09 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  John Oliver - Global Warming Video Minimalist 36 7764 May 30, 2014 at 5:18 am
Last Post: pocaracas
  Global temperatures since 1950 pocaracas 20 3711 February 21, 2014 at 5:17 am
Last Post: Sejanus
  The Unruh Effect little_monkey 0 549 July 7, 2013 at 11:41 am
Last Post: little_monkey