Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 8:11 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Proposition 8 Ruled Unconstitutional by a Fed. Judge
Proposition 8 Ruled Unconstitutional by a Fed. Judge
CNN Wrote:A federal judge in California on Wednesday struck down the state's ban on same-sex marriage, ruling that voter-approved Proposition 8 violates the U.S. Constitution -- handing supporters of gay rights a major victory in a case that both sides say is sure to wind up before the U.S. Supreme Court.

The 136-page opinion, issued by Chief U.S. District Judge Vaughn Walker in San Francisco, is an initial step in what will likely be a lengthy fight over California's Proposition 8, which defines marriage as a union between a man and a woman.

At stake in the trial was whether California's ban on same-sex marriage violates gay couples' rights to equal protection and due process, as protected by the U.S. Constitution.

The high-profile case is being watched closely by both supporters and opponents of same-sex marriage, as many say it is destined to make its way to the U.S. Supreme Court. If it does, the case could result in a landmark decision on whether people in the United States are allowed to marry people of the same sex.
Source: http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/08/04/califor...tml?hpt=T1

I am more than ecstatic at this decision and was nearly in tears when I heard some of what the judge had to say about marriage.

Judge Vaughn R Walker Wrote:Proposition 8 fails to advance any rational basis in singling out gay men and lesbians for denial of a marriage license. Indeed, the evidence shows Proposition 8 does nothing more than enshrine in the California Constitution the notion that opposite sex couples are superior to same-sex couples. Because California has no interest in discriminating against gay men and lesbians, and because Proposition 8 prevents California from fulfilling its constitutional obligation to provide marriages on an equal basis, the court concludes that Proposition 8 is unconstitutional.
Source: http://articles.latimes.com/2010/aug/04/...s-20100805

There's a good chance Prop 8 will make it to the Supreme Court and if they make a decision like Judge Walker, denying same sex marriage could be ruled unconstitutional across all 50 states. That's certainly something I dearly wish for. I just have no idea how the Supreme Court would vote, it's a very divided one.
"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin

::Blogs:: Boston Atheism Examiner - Boston Atheists Blog | :Tongueodcast:: Boston Atheists Report
RE: Proposition 8 Ruled Unconstitutional by a Fed. Judge
Damn, I JUST finished typing a reply to the years-old Prop 8 thread:

BUMP

The decision is great:

"Marriage in the United States has always been a civil matter. Civil authorities may permit religious leaders to solemnize marriages but not to determine who may enter or leave a civil marriage. Religious leaders may determine independently whether to recognize a civil marriage or divorce but that recognition or lack thereof has no effect on the relationship under state law."

and also:

"Proposition 8 fails to advance any rational basis in singling out gay men and lesbians for denial of a marriage license.

Indeed, the evidence shows Proposition 8 does nothing more than enshrine in the California Constitution the notion that opposite-sex couples are superior to same-sex couples. Because California has no interest in discriminating against gay men and lesbians, and because Proposition 8 prevents California from fulfilling its constitutional obligation to provide marriages on an equal basis, the court concludes that Proposition 8 is unconstitutional."

This kind of thing gves me hope that the legislative process in places like California isn't entirely broken, and that rationality sometimes does win. Think of all the money wasted by the Mormons promoting Prop 8. Now imagine they appeal this decision and it goes up to the SCOTUS and is struck down federally, in essence legalizing gay marriage nation-wide.
- Meatball
D: Meatball you should know better! No necroposting! Better to just make a new thread if it's been months since the last reply, even if they're similar topics.

Anyway, thanks for posting that link. It has a PDF of the decision which I want to read at some point.

::Blogs:: Boston Atheism Examiner - Boston Atheists Blog | :Tongueodcast:: Boston Atheists Report
A great victory for civil rights. As much against state intervention of marriage as I am, if the state is going to affirm marriage at all, it must do it between all consenting individuals.
Any decision which pisses off mormons is a good thing.
I just hope this means we can finally progress towards marriage for all, one day surely right? Keep fighting the good fight, fist pump, power to the people.
Don't expect the bible-thumpers to give up without a fight.

Remember, they have 4 class-A shitheads on the Supreme Court as a voting bloc. They only need one more.
*nods* Kagan will be in there by the time this gets there, and I can't be sure if she'll be a liberal leaning judge. If she is, it will likely come down to Anthony Kennedy.

Edit: Listening to Rachel maddow and apparently Judge Walker quoted Kennedy in his judgment and Anthony Kennedy has historical voted for gay people. So I can see a Supreme court decision going 5-4, with Kennedy, Sotomayor, Breyers, Ginsberg, and Kagan voting for gay marriage, which would effectively have implications for federal marriage.

This is wonderful news! I hope the rest of the country follows suit.
(August 5, 2010 at 8:50 am)Eilonnwy Wrote: There's a good chance Prop 8 will make it to the Supreme Court and if they make a decision like Judge Walker, denying same sex marriage could be ruled unconstitutional across all 50 states. That's certainly something I dearly wish for. I just have no idea how the Supreme Court would vote, it's a very divided one.

This is a wonderful win for civil rights everywhere. No longer will another group of people be treated as though they are less than people for being who they are, at least in this one respect if nothing else.

Truely a monumentous decision. I'm confident that the supreme court will vote in this manner as well, I just hope they don't prove me wrong.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why you should fear Trump's pick for Supreme Court Judge Foxaèr 75 3955 October 31, 2020 at 10:52 am
Last Post: TaraJo
  We are ruled by morons Interaktive 70 3519 October 21, 2019 at 3:08 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Equal pay for women's soccer or no Fed funding bill brewer 55 4638 August 4, 2019 at 7:25 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Judge Tells The WLB to Go Fuck Himself Minimalist 0 855 October 25, 2018 at 5:18 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Maybe Kavanaugh will be the next liberal SCOTUS judge?? Jehanne 10 1308 October 6, 2018 at 1:40 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  Pence Defends Trump’s Criticism of Judge Who Blocked Travel Ban Foxaèr 3 817 February 5, 2017 at 9:41 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  It's Unconstitutional for the Police to Kill People Rhondazvous 70 6235 September 29, 2016 at 8:01 pm
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  Ah....Ze Mexican Judge Steeks Eet Up Drumpf's Ass Again Minimalist 0 654 August 30, 2016 at 5:43 pm
  Judge Recommends Criminal Charges Against Sheriff Shitstain Minimalist 2 899 August 20, 2016 at 12:01 am
  A phone call to The Fed Joods 16 1550 July 11, 2016 at 6:21 pm
Last Post: Joods