Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 11:47 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Prodigal Son
The Prodigal Son
Hello all, I was wondering if some of you would be willing to share what you think about the story of the "Prodigal Son"? All thoughts are welcome. Thanks! 

A man had two sons, and the younger son said to his father, 'Father, give me the share of your estate that should come to me.' So the father divided the property between them.

After a few days, the younger son collected all his belongings and set off to a distant country where he squandered his inheritance on a life of dissipation. When he had freely spent everything, a severe famine struck that country, and he found himself in dire need. So he hired himself out to one of the local citizens who sent him to his farm to tend the swine. And he longed to eat his fill of the pods on which the swine fed, but nobody gave him any. 

Coming to his senses he thought, 'How many of my father's hired workers have more than enough food to eat, but here am I, dying from hunger. I shall get up and go to my father and I shall say to him, "Father, I have sinned against heaven and against you. I no longer deserve to be called your son; treat me as you would treat one of your hired workers."' So he got up and went back to his father. 

While he was still a long way off, his father caught sight of him, and was filled with compassion. He ran to his son, embraced him and kissed him. His son said to him, 'Father, I have sinned against heaven and against you; I no longer deserve to be called your son.' But his father ordered his servants, 'Quickly bring the finest robe and put it on him; put a ring on his finger and sandals on his feet. Take the fattened calf and slaughter it. Then let us celebrate with a feast, because this son of mine was dead, and has come to life again; he was lost, and has been found.' Then the celebration began. 

Now the older son had been out in the field and, on his way back, as he neared the house, he heard the sound of music and dancing. He called one of the servants and asked what this might mean. The servant said to him, 'Your brother has returned and your father has slaughtered the fattened calf because he has him back safe and sound.' He became angry, and when he refused to enter the house, his father came out and pleaded with him. 

He said to his father in reply, 'Look, all these years I served you and not once did I disobey your orders; yet you never gave me even a young goat to feast on with my friends. But when your son returns who swallowed up your property with prostitutes, for him you slaughter the fattened calf.' 

He said to him, 'My son, you are here with me always; everything I have is yours. But now we must celebrate and rejoice, because your brother was dead and has come to life again; he was lost and has been found.'
-Luke 15:11-32
RE: The Prodigal Son
It sounds like an allegory that's supposed to be teaching some sort of lesson. I'm not really sure what the lesson is meant to be.

Something about forgiveness? Fairness?
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
Is there supposed to be a moral to this story?
I am John Cena's hip-hop album.
(June 8, 2016 at 4:33 am)robvalue Wrote: It sounds like an allegory that's supposed to be teaching some sort of lesson. I'm not really sure what the lesson is meant to be.

Something about forgiveness? Fairness?

Moochers always win. If you want to inherit your fathers fortune, squander your money on women and booze and only come home when you're stone broke.
Urbs Antiqua Fuit Studiisque Asperrima Belli

Home
(June 8, 2016 at 4:33 am)ApeNotKillApe Wrote: Is there supposed to be a moral to this story?

Sure is. Waste your money and your potential, live for fun and pleasure, don't think about the future and once you're broke - mooch off of your family. That's pretty much my plan for life - and nobody can complain, 'cause it's in the bible... Tongue
"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one." - George Bernard Shaw
Several thoughts

- The father's reaction is understandable and justified. His one son was obviously not fit to lead the business, and while he squandered a lot of money, it was, effectively, invested in his becoming a better, responsible person through life experience, which can arguably be more important than the money lost and pay off manifold in the future

- What a sucky job where you have to tend to the swine, but don't even get food in return? That's just ridiculous. I'm sure he could have gotten a better one *somewhere*.

- It is really difficult to raise several children with very different characters and keep everything fair and balanced, and envy at bay. Ideally, the brother who stayed home loves his brother so much that he, too, will be in a mood to celebrate once done with the butt-hurt. Also, it's not like he doesn't get a nice piece of the fattened calf once he joins the partey.

I give the story a 7/10. Today it seems a bit trite, but I guess back in the day it was a innovative idea not to kill everyone over the dispute.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

It reminds me of a story Ricky Gervais told in one of his standups, "Politics" I think, about the lazy mouse and the industrious mouse. Pretty similar, and again it suggested that screwing around and then mooching will work out OK.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
There seems to be an awful lot missing, what did he spend his money on? How did he get to the "distant country?" How did he get back? What was his name? Why take a job for, effectively, no pay? Did he catch any sexually transmitted diseases whilst on his travels? Were the hookers hot?
You may refer to me as "Oh High One."
I think it highlights the fact that the father took his loyal son for granted ....

Discussing it first with the son that had stayed behind would of been the nice thing to do. Had he done so that son would have felt special and would have probably suggested the fattened cow himself, however the father took for granted what he had.

Dog.
Religion is the top shelf of the supernatural supermarket ... Madog
The bible has lots of fairy tale stories readers like to claim teach something. There are some pretty nasty stories in it too. And Jews quote the OT, and Muslim quote the Quran, and Hindus quote the Baghavad Gita and Vedas, and Buddhists quote Buddha. All the OP proved is that they can repeat a story in an old book.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  First Council of Nicaea: when Christianity was deformed and Jesus named son of God. WinterHold 50 4008 September 19, 2021 at 12:13 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Better terminology for "Father and Son" ? vorlon13 258 60180 October 13, 2017 at 10:48 am
Last Post: Harry Nevis
Video Christian faimily disowns gay teen son on youtube Fake Messiah 10 3009 April 29, 2016 at 6:18 pm
Last Post: TheRocketSurgeon
  Parents Charged in Beating Death of Son at Church JesusHChrist 56 9344 October 22, 2015 at 1:04 am
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Did "james son of zebedee" ever meet Paul the Apostle? Coreni 6 4401 June 25, 2015 at 1:03 pm
Last Post: Metis
  Is Jesus the son of God? Whateverist 91 12136 December 20, 2014 at 6:25 pm
Last Post: professor
  Hint not taken; son of dead rattlesnake preacher bitten. Ryantology 15 4519 May 28, 2014 at 3:51 pm
Last Post: Faith No More
  The Son^3 FallentoReason 31 9125 May 11, 2012 at 10:38 pm
Last Post: Ryft
  Jesus the Bastard Son: Part 3 - From Talmud to Toledoth michaelsherlock 0 1294 April 12, 2012 at 12:28 am
Last Post: michaelsherlock
  Jesus the Bastard Son: Part 2 michaelsherlock 6 3772 April 11, 2012 at 11:20 pm
Last Post: michaelsherlock