Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 15, 2024, 11:55 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
is collective prayer any more effective?
is collective prayer any more effective?
Has anyone ever thought about prayer boxes? Does God not listen unless multiple people pester it about the exact same issue? Or is it that prayer is more effective if it's conducted by higher ranking Theists in the community? Very curious to hear the rationale.

RE: is collective prayer any more effective?
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSDkbE5UxBkEMIDgk6V20d...8LXRcH9UYA]

Just throwing it out there.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
Well, I mean the whole STEP study can answer than question.
In every country and every age, the priest had been hostile to Liberty.
- Thomas Jefferson
There is no rationale. One second they'll be telling you how one can chase a thousand and two can chase five thousand or "where any two are gathered in his name..." and the next second they're saying that nothing will change until the whole nation repents.
I'm confused with the whole prayer thing when it comes to asking for things from god. "Please god help my friend get better from cancer." I thought god had a plan for everyone? Wouldn't that mean he already knows if your friend was going to live? Will a prayer, whether it be from one person or thousands, change god's plan? If not why bother asking or questioning his decision? Will not praying kill him faster?

With that said I also hafta point out that a lot of people say "Please pray for my friend" on Facebook or such. Does a prayer for someone you don't know mean less? Does it have less power? "Dear god please save my friend's friend Steve. I heard he is sick."
To the question of any efficacy of collective prayer, I say this...

Where is Madeline McCann? After countless hours of prayer by groups around the world, plus audiences with the Pope du jour, why has she never been conclusively sighted and is in all likelihood lying dead somewhere?
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
Why pray? an all seeing all knowing god knows what you want to pray about, so why waste his time telling him stuff he knows?
The meek shall inherit the Earth, the rest of us will fly to the stars.

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in mud ..... after a while you realise that the pig likes it!

(June 9, 2016 at 8:16 am)MrNoMorePropaganda Wrote: Has anyone ever thought about prayer boxes? Does God not listen unless multiple people pester it about the exact same issue? Or is it that prayer is more effective if it's conducted by higher ranking Theists in the community? Very curious to hear the rationale.

Supposedly prayers are better with two or more people. I don't remember why. I've never seen it to be true. Generally the worst off someone is health wise the more people they have praying for them. But they still die more than the healthier people with less prayers. Fancy that.
(August 21, 2017 at 11:31 pm)KevinM1 Wrote: "I'm not a troll"
Religious Views: He gay

0/10

Hammy Wrote:and we also have a sheep on our bed underneath as well
(June 9, 2016 at 10:27 am)mlmooney89 Wrote: I'm confused with the whole prayer thing when it comes to asking for things from god. "Please god help my friend get better from cancer." I thought god had a plan for everyone? Wouldn't that mean he already knows if your friend was going to live? Will a prayer, whether it be from one person or thousands, change god's plan? If not why bother asking or questioning his decision? Will not praying kill him faster?

With that said I also hafta point out that a lot of people say "Please pray for my friend" on Facebook or such. Does a prayer for someone you don't know mean less? Does it have less power? "Dear god please save my friend's friend Steve. I heard he is sick."

Prayer is far more than asking things from God, it's one way of being in a relationship with Him. Yes God already knows the needs of everyone, our asking shows that we care for them even though God knew before hand. Don't you talk to your friends about things they already knew about, it's no different with God.

GC
God loves those who believe and those who do not and the same goes for me, you have no choice in this matter. That puts the matter of total free will to rest.
Well...my friends are usually real. Prayer is like my late night ramblings with Carl. He also only responds in my own voice inside my own head. He's real god damnit!
(August 21, 2017 at 11:31 pm)KevinM1 Wrote: "I'm not a troll"
Religious Views: He gay

0/10

Hammy Wrote:and we also have a sheep on our bed underneath as well

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  On the lunacy of prayer slartibartfast 100 5402 October 12, 2021 at 12:17 am
Last Post: slartibartfast
  Global Prayer To End Atheism Foxaèr 60 7614 August 25, 2021 at 8:20 am
Last Post: Brian37
  A prayer to God ... ignoramus 10 1044 May 3, 2019 at 11:17 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Question about prayer. purplepurpose 27 5691 October 4, 2018 at 2:06 pm
Last Post: Drich
  What do you think prayer is? vulcanlogician 44 6073 February 2, 2018 at 4:12 pm
Last Post: emjay
  Can prayer change God's perfect plan? MellisaClarke 217 63105 May 23, 2017 at 8:33 am
Last Post: SteveII
  Prayer Athena777 181 16361 December 13, 2016 at 12:38 pm
Last Post: Asmodee
  imprisonment, rioting, killing - over PRAYER drfuzzy 15 4003 October 31, 2015 at 3:56 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  My thoughts on prayer dyresand 25 5939 October 14, 2015 at 7:06 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Biblical Prayer Contradictions Salacious B. Crumb 143 19678 July 4, 2015 at 1:31 pm
Last Post: Salacious B. Crumb