Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 1:57 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reduced to a Piece of Clay: False Humility and Human Dignity
Reduced to a Piece of Clay: False Humility and Human Dignity
”Romans 9:5” Wrote:But nay, O man, who art thou that repliest against God? Shall the thing formed say to him that formed it, “Why hast thou made me thus?”

Who am i? I am a human, a sentient being. I have thoughts and feelings. I have opinions and awareness. I can recognize injustice and oppression.

Does it make sense to believe that god created me with all these wonderful faculties and then turned around expecting me to act like a lifeless piece of clay (as some versions render this verse)?

It is idiotic that Christians complain about evolving from apes dehumanized them, yet they are ready to accept this teaching.
The god who allows children to be raped out of respect for the free will choice of the rapist, but punishes gay men for engaging in mutually consensual sex couldn't possibly be responsible for an intelligently designed universe.

I may defend your right to free speech, but i won't help you pass out flyers.

Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.
--Voltaire

Nietzsche isn't dead. How do I know he lives? He lives in my mind.
RE: Reduced to a Piece of Clay: False Humility and Human Dignity
Yes it is.

(And well said)
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
It's a little odd to believe that a god made the most intelligent being on the planet, and expected it not to question.

Part of the reason I'm against intelligent design, is because the abrahamic god doesn't come off as very intelligent.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

(June 11, 2016 at 9:48 am)Rhondazvous Wrote:
”Romans 9:5” Wrote:But nay, O man, who art thou that repliest against God? Shall the thing formed say to him that formed it, “Why hast thou made me thus?”

Who am i? I am a human, a sentient being. I have thoughts and feelings. I have opinions and awareness. I can recognize injustice and oppression.

Does it make sense to believe that god created me with all these wonderful faculties and then turned around expecting me to act like a lifeless piece of clay (as some versions render this verse)?

It is idiotic that Christians complain about evolving from apes dehumanized them, yet they are ready to accept this teaching.

The verse doesn't have anything to do with human dignity, but rather God having the right to do what he wishes with his creation.  The potter has the perogative to form the vase into whatever shape he desires.  Yes you have your thoughts and feelings etc. and you consider and act on those every day of your life, but as anybody who has a held a job knows, we must defer to others desires over our own at times.  If you see injustice and oppression then feel free to act upon it.
(June 11, 2016 at 11:38 am)Lek Wrote:
(June 11, 2016 at 9:48 am)Rhondazvous Wrote: Who am i? I am a human, a sentient being. I have thoughts and feelings. I have opinions and awareness. I can recognize injustice and oppression.

The verse doesn't have anything to do with human dignity, but rather God having the right to do what he wishes with his creation.  The potter has the perogative to form the vase into whatever shape he desires.  Yes you have your thoughts and feelings etc. and you consider and act on those every day of your life, but as anybody who has a held a job knows, we must defer to others desires over our own at times.  If you see injustice and oppression then feel free to act upon it.
In other words, god doesn't do things out of love or justice. He does things simply because he can and no one can stop him. In other words, might makes right. I also have the right to do thins, but I also have compassion and a sense of empathy that tells me just because I have the right to do something doesn't mean it's the right thing to do.
The god who allows children to be raped out of respect for the free will choice of the rapist, but punishes gay men for engaging in mutually consensual sex couldn't possibly be responsible for an intelligently designed universe.

I may defend your right to free speech, but i won't help you pass out flyers.

Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.
--Voltaire

Nietzsche isn't dead. How do I know he lives? He lives in my mind.
(June 11, 2016 at 12:59 pm)Rhondazvous Wrote:
(June 11, 2016 at 11:38 am)Lek Wrote: The verse doesn't have anything to do with human dignity, but rather God having the right to do what he wishes with his creation.  The potter has the perogative to form the vase into whatever shape he desires.  Yes you have your thoughts and feelings etc. and you consider and act on those every day of your life, but as anybody who has a held a job knows, we must defer to others desires over our own at times.  If you see injustice and oppression then feel free to act upon it.
In other words, god doesn't do things out of love or justice. He does things simply because he can and no one can stop him. In other words, might makes right. I also have the right to do thins, but I also have compassion and a sense of empathy that tells me just because I have the right to do something doesn't mean it's the right thing to do.

You're just making unfounded suppositions. How do you come to the conclusion that God doesn't do things out of love and justice? I think what you're really saying is that God does things that you don't like or think are right.
(June 11, 2016 at 10:48 am)Chad32 Wrote: It's a little odd to believe that a god made the most intelligent being on the planet, and expected it not to question.

Part of the reason I'm against intelligent design, is because the abrahamic god doesn't come off as very intelligent.

Consider who created that deity.
(June 11, 2016 at 2:34 pm)Lek Wrote: How do you come to the conclusion that God doesn't do things out of love and justice?
Because it says so in the bible.

Quote:I think what you're really saying is that God does things that you don't like or think are right.
And I think you're finally starting to get it, Lek. That's exactly what's going on. People have used their reasoning skills to analyse the claimed actions of the biblical god and found that they're distinctly immoral (e.g. the arbitrary imposition of god's will over people, murder, genocide, slavery, misogyny). Neither love nor justice are demonstrated in those actions and further, any actions taken by god that could be classified as just or loving are more than outweighed by his mind-blowing psychopathy.

I neither like the claimed actions of god nor do I think they're right.
Sum ergo sum
(June 11, 2016 at 2:56 pm)Ben Davis Wrote:
(June 11, 2016 at 2:34 pm)Lek Wrote: How do you come to the conclusion that God doesn't do things out of love and justice?
Because it says so in the bible.

Would you give me some verses so I can respond to your conclusion?
(June 11, 2016 at 3:13 pm)Lek Wrote:
(June 11, 2016 at 2:56 pm)Ben Davis Wrote: Because it says so in the bible.

Would you give me some verses so I can respond to your conclusion?

Turned a woman into salt because she looked at something.
I am John Cena's hip-hop album.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The false miracle of Fatima now a movie Foxaèr 17 1622 September 6, 2020 at 2:03 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  World ending on April 23rd, says false prophet Divinity 41 8479 April 27, 2018 at 1:19 pm
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  Human Reason and Christian Denominations Bahana 92 14447 April 20, 2018 at 9:25 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Satan, anti-christ, false prophet vorlon13 43 8069 November 14, 2017 at 12:06 pm
Last Post: Harry Nevis
  Another Fucking Piece of Shit "Pastor" Minimalist 37 8890 September 29, 2017 at 3:47 pm
Last Post: Atheist73
  Some Simple Questions show Atheistic Origin Science is false (proof 2 begins) SavedByGraceThruFaith 369 189193 October 9, 2014 at 4:59 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  Why is Christianity false and Atheism true? savedwheat 362 96524 December 25, 2013 at 8:40 pm
Last Post: ThomM
  Interesting piece on Confidence... ronedee 10 2906 December 12, 2013 at 1:23 pm
Last Post: ronedee
  The bible identifies the Christ as a False Prophet ThomM 45 21872 September 19, 2013 at 8:09 pm
Last Post: Lion IRC
  how do you tell the difference between a false prophet and a 'genuinely' god-powered one with 'real' revelati Mark 13:13 43 15745 January 9, 2013 at 6:38 pm
Last Post: Mark 13:13