Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 3:58 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Even in this case I'm against damnatio memoriae
Even in this case I'm against damnatio memoriae
The austrian authorities expropriated the house where Hitler was born recently. Now they're considering demolishing it. Until a couple of years ago, it held a workshop for the mentally disabled. I considered that to be the perfect use this house could have been put to.

Anyway, I'm against dmolishing it. Like it or not, it's a historical place. Even if you want to prevent Nazis gathering there to commemorate Hitler, it's like fighting cancer with aspirin. It might ease the symptoms for a bit, but it doesn't take care of the illness. I never understood this mentality of tearing down everything that has any connection to the Third Reich.

I also have low understanding for the ban laws on nazi symbolisms and speech. Let everyone display what kind of asshole they are. At least you know whom you're dealing with. Again, it's like fighting cancer with aspirin. The rats simply go into hiding, but they're not gone by simply banning them from spewing their brown shit.

http://www.coreoo.eu/topstories/austria-...birthplace

Quote: Austria's interior minister says he can imagine having the house where Adolf Hitler was born demolished, calling it "the cleanest solution" for the building that nobody wants, reports the AP. The Austrian government wants to expropriate the house in Braunau am Inn on the German border where the future Nazi leader was born in 1889 to ensure that it doesn't become a place of pilgrimage for neo-Nazis. The Interior Ministry has rented the house since 1972 to prevent its misuse, subletting it to various charitable organizations. The building has stood empty since a care center for adults with disabilities moved out in 2011.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
RE: Even in this case I'm against damnatio memoriae
I agree. I think historical places are historical places, some have wonderful memories, others horrific, sometimes both, but they're all valuable as either cultural heritage and/or historical lessons. Auschwitz is a horrible, haunting place, but it had better be left standing there as a reminder of a low point in human history we should aim not to sink to again.
"Adulthood is like looking both ways before you cross the road, and then getting hit by an airplane"  - sarcasm_only

"Ironically like the nativist far-Right, which despises multiculturalism, but benefits from its ideas of difference to scapegoat the other and to promote its own white identity politics; these postmodernists, leftists, feminists and liberals also use multiculturalism, to side with the oppressor, by demanding respect and tolerance for oppression characterised as 'difference', no matter how intolerable."
- Maryam Namazie

Let it stand. Not for glorification but condemnation. Same here is the US.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
I'm never for destroying historical things.
(August 21, 2017 at 11:31 pm)KevinM1 Wrote: "I'm not a troll"
Religious Views: He gay

0/10

Hammy Wrote:and we also have a sheep on our bed underneath as well
(June 12, 2016 at 3:59 pm)mh.brewer Wrote: Let it stand. Not for glorification but condemnation. Same here is the US.

I'll just let Rod Serling take this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFTVh3oyilE

Of course, this reminds me of another incident. 50 years ago in Indianapolis, a girl named Sylvia Likens was put in the care of a friend of the family named Gertrude Baniszewski. Gertrude, her daughter Paula, and several neighbourhood children decided to spend the next few months torturing her. The details can be found here, although it isn't for the squeamish. Years later, there was some talk of renovating it and turning it into a women's shelter, but the funds never materialised. It was eventually demolished. It would be so great if Hitler's birthplace was kept up, but also spent for a mission diametrically opposed to Hitler's mission. Perhaps make it the headquarters for a major anti-racism society or a home for the disabled.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Bounty Hunters found not guilty in case of gunning down innocent black man Cecelia 21 1471 August 3, 2019 at 8:49 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  Former judge files new motions pushing for special prosecutor in Jussie Smollett case EgoDeath 15 1487 July 1, 2019 at 12:21 am
Last Post: EgoDeath
  Trump responds to special counsel Robert Mueller’s statement: ‘The case is closed WinterHold 21 2051 June 7, 2019 at 2:28 am
Last Post: WinterHold
  Lastest development in Smollett case EgoDeath 76 6511 March 12, 2019 at 4:48 pm
Last Post: EgoDeath
  Asshole Can't Even Appoint The Right Judges Minimalist 11 1434 November 16, 2018 at 7:38 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  This Moron Can't Even Run A Golf Course Minimalist 26 1314 October 10, 2018 at 8:41 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  American workers' wages stagnant, even in a great economy: why? Aegon 74 6775 August 15, 2018 at 4:29 am
Last Post: GUBU
  The Fucking WLB Has Even Lost The NY Post Minimalist 1 407 June 19, 2018 at 2:52 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Sometimes Even Drunk Driving Works Out Well! Minimalist 5 927 June 6, 2018 at 11:15 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Even FOX FUX Turn On The Orange Turd Minimalist 4 924 April 4, 2018 at 12:03 am
Last Post: vorlon13