Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 5:41 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
What Have You Seen?
What Have You Seen?
(full disclosure: This post inspired by abaris' thread about Hitler's birth place)

What historical places/monuments have in seen in person, and which ones were most impressive, or had the greatest effect on you? For myself:

-The Wounded Lion of Lucerne

-The Herodeon and the Acropolis

-Hadrian's Wall

-Newgrange

-Giza

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
RE: What Have You Seen?
Persepolis, in Iran, Diriyah (I may have that spelled wrong) in Saudi Arabia, Dealey Plaza in Dallas.

Topkapi, The Roman runis (as in Rome), all of them, Olympia, the Acropolis, Carnuntum, and I'm sure a lot more I forgot to mention.

As for what most impressed me. Has to be Carnuntum, since I visited it numerous times since I was little.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
Nothing outside US.

Ash Falls.

Bad Lands.

Mt Rushmore.

Grand Canyon.

OKC bombing memorial. (probably greatest effect)

Dealey Plz.

Death Valley.

Great Salt Lake.

Carlsbad Cavern.

White Sands.

Vicksburg battle field.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
A big one for me: the Gettysburg battlefields. U.S. Civil War, July 1 through 3, 1863. Approximately 175,000 soldiers, with probably 60,000 casualties (deaths and serious injuries). The extremely well documented nature of the battle (generally considered the point at which the Union forces went from losing to winning) means that you can go around the hills and essentially follow exactly who went where and when. A very important place.
How will we know, when the morning comes, we are still human? - 2D

Don't worry, my friend.  If this be the end, then so shall it be.
Italy: Pantheon, Colliseum, Circus, Sistine chapel
The Uffici, David.

Greece: Corinth, Delphi

Germany: I grew up a stone's throw of the Hambacher Schloss, a pivotal place in German histotry,
the contents of the Pergamon Museum

US: The Alamo, the Carlsbad Caverns as well, Washington D.C. in general

England: The contents of the British Museum.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

What Have You Seen?
The Acropolis was an impressive sight, pyramids at Giza also but I think the Taj Mahal beat them for sheer monumental beauty. Quite a contrast to the chaos and clutter of its surroundings.

Not really monuments but some desert areas in the Sahara and Oman were also memorable.

I also have to put a plug in for my home city of Lincolns cathedral which is a fair old building by anyones reckoning. Tom Hanks doesn't film in any old church you know!

[Image: 5b91eb8b4dae3ceccd89a9b72043141b.jpg]

[Image: d3db3d862271c360c53f04d58ae930d8.jpg]

[Image: 978022d7c34a741dea7fbe443522542e.jpg]
Oh, and the USS Texas and USS Lexington.

Well, as someone who's never been outside the US, here's my list:

[*] The Sears Tower
[*] The Art Instutute of Chicago
[*] Marina City (haven't actually been inside, but have driven by it multiple times); Wilco fans may remember it from the cover of Yankee Hotel Foxtrot.
[*] Navy Pier
[*] The burial sites of both Stephen Douglas and Abraham Lincoln.
[*] The Brooklyn Bridge
[*] The Statue of Liberty (Though only from a distance)
[*] The Pantheon in Nashville
[*] The Ryman Theatre
[*] The Country Music Hall of Fame
[*] The "Welcome to Fabulous Las Vegas" sign

Why, yes. I am sheltered.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
Numerous civil and revolutionary war battlefields.

Ft. McHenry, Baltimore ( War of 1812)

The USS Constitution.

Fraunces Tavern in Manhattan (Washington's farewell to his officers.)

Monticello (Jefferson) The Hermitage (Jackson) Sagamore Hill ( T. Roosevelt ) Mt. Vernon (Washington) Presidential homes.

Numerous historical touristy sites in London, Rome, Venice, Florence, Siena, Athens, Istanbul, & Rhodes.

Archaeological sites in Corinth, Knossos, Ephesos, Bath, England and Pompeii.

Overlook of the location of the Battle of Salamis.

German beach defenses at Salerno and also the site of Montecassino ( family history - my dad was in both battles.)

Stonehenge

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  You Don't Have To Do Religion Anymore, If You Don't Want To! mascale 21 1532 June 7, 2021 at 10:17 pm
Last Post: Jackalope