Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 2:33 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Social Standing of the priest class in history
The Social Standing of the priest class in history
I went to a talk on ancient Egypt today and this interested me.

[Image: socialpyramid.gif]

The Egyptian social strata mimics many civilizations from the past, with common or garden priests living it up there on a level with doctors and engineers, and high priests rubbing shoulders with royalty.

In Judaic history the Pharisees were lawyers interpreting biblical law, were crossover priests/ lawyers. Law and religion being a closely related discipline... relating the law to everyday situations and serving justice.

And friends I have who are ministers certainly seem to hold equal societal position with lawyer friends, even though in modern society the gap between each's salary is huge.

I guess the priesthood held the key to what the people thought. What interests me is, where has that power shifted in modern society? Who controls what we think? I guess the revolution occurred or sprang from the enlightenment. A departure from a tradition which saw the embracing of science and reasoning as an evolutionary step. (I make no comment on that)

What controls what we think now though? Are we free to choose or are we directed by the Zeitgeist? Were the choices in an autocracy the same?
RE: The Social Standing of the priest class in history
I'd say that the social structure, not including the difference between rich and poor, is more fluid, and perhaps less emphasized in some areas and more in others.

I'd say less as any turnip with a penchant to speak can become a preacher, while not being able to become a lawyer (that requires years of study and a semblance of intellect). More because of the increasing emphasis on religion in certain societies (it is said the US is at the crossroads between a religious revival and not). Also because each passing generation often pines for the greatness of the previous, particularly in tradition - since religion has been a traditional influence, I expect it to be a potential for resurgence, possibly in most unpleasant ways.
In modern (western) society, what people think (let's say many or most people) comes from the media, which is guided by corporations and political agendas. This includes religion to a large degree, as well. Unfortunately, too many people seem to believe whatever they are told by Fox News. I think that there are certainly groups that believe and think as groups, e.g. church congregations, but it doesn't seem like any one 'Central Church' as a whole has much sway over the individual as compared to the media or small individual church congregations. The result, it seems, is an incredibly broad spectrum of beliefs and ideologies. Perhaps this will be remembered as the Age of Divisiveness.
Quote:too many people seem to believe whatever they are told by Fox News.

We call them by the generic term "idiots."
@fr0d0: I know you're on holiday right now but you can answer when you're back, our thoughts are our own, it is a decision to follow the herd...the zeitgeist. For fear of being branded an outcast or a pariah by acting different, of course not everyone does this but the posers of the world make me laugh.

Anyway priests are gay.
"God is dead" - Friedrich Nietzsche

"Faith is what you have in things that DON'T exist. - Homer J. Simpson

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Social democracy in Europe without 5 minutes Interaktive 1 589 January 3, 2023 at 4:55 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Does Social Issues matter when deciding your political affiliation? T.J. 48 3051 April 21, 2022 at 9:36 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  TX social media censorship bill Fake Messiah 24 2204 September 14, 2021 at 3:15 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  Is there a continent in history where Britain never went too? Sweden83 21 1153 December 5, 2020 at 2:54 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Kamala Harris makes history Foxaèr 5 498 August 21, 2020 at 10:31 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Social Security and wealth. Brian37 20 1101 July 9, 2020 at 12:18 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Jordan Should Have Been A Priest Instead of a Congressman Minimalist 1 425 July 11, 2018 at 3:55 pm
Last Post: Divinity
  The biggest crime in the history of humanity WinterHold 16 2742 September 22, 2017 at 7:04 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Just who are the middle class? Europa! 5 1080 September 19, 2017 at 1:37 am
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  History and some of the atrocities associated with it ErGingerbreadMandude 0 407 September 14, 2017 at 11:26 pm
Last Post: ErGingerbreadMandude