Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 8:34 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So just now on twitter.
So just now on twitter.
How stupid of someone to presume, after they insult you that is your duty not to respond and by responding bluntly somehow you are the bully.

So a theist just said to me on twitter, "atheists are violent"....... I could go on about intent behind that but still not the point. So I came back and said "No and fuck you. Grow up crybaby, nobody is going to eat your babies".

So a friend of theirs jumped on me as if I had started it and said "It is people like you who are ruining everything".

What? No, why should I be verbally polite to bullshit claims? Especially bullshit claims that are attempts to demonize people you don't know personally?
RE: So just now on twitter.
You can obviously say whatever you want as long as it isn't illegal. If your goal was to refute the claim, however, you have clearly failed due to your demeanor, and no amount of post hoc justification will change that.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

[Image: its_like_the_pot_calling_the_kettle_blac...032808.gif]
"Adulthood is like looking both ways before you cross the road, and then getting hit by an airplane"  - sarcasm_only

"Ironically like the nativist far-Right, which despises multiculturalism, but benefits from its ideas of difference to scapegoat the other and to promote its own white identity politics; these postmodernists, leftists, feminists and liberals also use multiculturalism, to side with the oppressor, by demanding respect and tolerance for oppression characterised as 'difference', no matter how intolerable."
- Maryam Namazie

LOL...

Be a d*ck to whomever you want online, for whatever reason you see fit. I know I am...

But don't complain, when people - especially those, who's friends you're being a d*ck to - consider you a d*ck. I know I don't...

Wink
"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one." - George Bernard Shaw
(June 22, 2016 at 8:59 am)Alex K Wrote: You can obviously say whatever you want as long as it isn't illegal. If your goal was to refute the claim, however, you have clearly failed due to your demeanor, and no amount of post hoc justification will change that.

Here we go again. No, this kind of crap is what I hate about the well intended left. You cant have it both ways. It is not only legal, offending someone who is being a dick is the correct response. "If you just use honey all the time", may sound nice, but that is what allows the justifications for bigotry and violence. It also allows people to equate mere bluntness to actual violence.

Humans most certainly have the right to be free from physical violence. But claims don't deserve to be blasphemy free. No, I will not let someone get away with saying "atheists are violent". Why should I be polite to such demonizing? I think instead of lecturing me on how to respond to such absurdity maybe the right thing to do is tell them not to be dicks.

The person who said that failed, not me. I am under no obligation to be polite to assholes.
If you didn't want our reactions/feedback to your exchange, why post it here. Or did you just want us to agree with you?
In every country and every age, the priest had been hostile to Liberty.
- Thomas Jefferson
Well you could have said sure some atheists leaders did horrible things.. but religious people are even worse than they are.
Atheism is a non-prophet organization join today. 

Code:
<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/255506953&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>
(June 22, 2016 at 9:36 am)FatAndFaithless Wrote: If you didn't want our reactions/feedback to your exchange, why post it here.  Or did you just want us to agree with you?

I didn't put it here for people to agree or disagree. I could care less. I did put it here to demonstrate that one does not have to be silent when others make attempts to demonize entire labels. Now how you chose as an individual to respond is your choice. But no, to claim politeness is a blanket tactic in every case is a bad idea. It is the very thing that allows dangerous ideas to grow to the point of setting up taboos, be they states like North Korea or theocracies like Iran or Saudi Arabia.

If someone says "atheists are violent" my response is going to be to offend them. You can do what you wish, but no, I will not coddle the insecurities of bigots.
(June 22, 2016 at 9:44 am)Brian37 Wrote:
(June 22, 2016 at 9:36 am)FatAndFaithless Wrote: If you didn't want our reactions/feedback to your exchange, why post it here.  Or did you just want us to agree with you?

I didn't put it here for people to agree or disagree. 

Uh.  Okay.
In every country and every age, the priest had been hostile to Liberty.
- Thomas Jefferson
(June 22, 2016 at 9:42 am)dyresand Wrote: Well you could have said sure some atheists leaders did horrible things.. but religious people are even worse than they are.

If they had said "This individual is violent", that would be ok. But that is not what they did. This point you just made here is why you cant put up with it. It allows people to ignore their own transgressions.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Boobie McBodacioustatas on X (formerly twitter)? no one 7 534 December 3, 2023 at 9:24 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Just now on FB Brian37 10 589 October 28, 2020 at 6:18 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Ran into another Food Nazi just now. Brian37 31 2843 July 31, 2018 at 10:15 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  So I ran into Apu just now...... Brian37 14 2441 October 16, 2017 at 9:52 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Can I Just Say and I'm just being honest (Holiday Edition) Mystical 9 2149 November 25, 2016 at 3:17 pm
Last Post: Divinity
  Just now on Twitter..... Brian37 14 1437 September 13, 2016 at 2:15 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Can Anybody Help Me With Twitter? Rhondazvous 10 1503 April 24, 2016 at 8:56 am
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  Anyone familiar with Twitter, a question. Brian37 0 577 March 19, 2016 at 9:31 am
Last Post: Brian37
  This just happened to me on Twitter. Brian37 18 6277 February 23, 2015 at 1:33 pm
Last Post: Losty
  My Twitter ban is lifted, I am back. Brian37 0 1171 September 17, 2014 at 9:37 am
Last Post: Brian37