Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 4:19 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
You Can't Fake the Funk
You Can't Fake the Funk
I know a lot of y'all are metalheads, and that's great, I love me some headbangin', but I don't often see any love for funk. Sublime, greasy, shake-your-ass-'til-it-falls-off funk.

This here's the thread where you post your favorite funk, so put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip, and post the jams that take you on a trip.

When I think of funk, the very first song that comes to my mind ain't by JB, either -- it's this one, by a guy usually known for his easier-listening stuff. But this cut grooves so hard I've seen rocks dancing to it:

Prince cited the guitarist in Rufus as a big influence on his own stuff, and it's easy to hear why. Chaka Khan could sing her ass off, too:

And when I'm feeling like I want something more than a simple groove, this is a go-to -- some great great horns here, and three-against four, too:

RE: You Can't Fake the Funk
A more modern, jazz-instrumental take on the genre.

What makes you wanna move your ass?

What a shame, I was hoping to get a party started here. Ah well.

More contemporary, but I'm a fan of "Get Lucky". I followed up with a Russian cover at the Sochi Winter Olympics a couple years back; 'Cause it's hilarious.

Funks not really my thing. I don't think I even know any songs whatsoever that could be classed as such.
(June 24, 2016 at 6:00 am)Bella Morte Wrote: Funks not really my thing. I don't think I even know any songs whatsoever that could be classed as such.

Well, then, take a listen here, you might find something you like. Funk-metal fusion:

I've always been fairly good at classifying musical genres but have always found it hard to define funk.
Thump, I'd like to hear you're definition.
I can't quite put my finger on it but the first image I get when someone says funk is Red Hot Chilli Peppers.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TaEXHot1-04
"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one." - George Bernard Shaw
Oh, yeah, the 'Bone!

Lunchy, for me funk has a great rhythm section going on, syncopation in the drums and a bassline that is moving. It's got a groove that has motion in it, even if the song is a static vamp. But funk could be any number of things.

To paraphrase Justice Holmes, I may not be able to define it, but I know it when I hear it.

Atomic Dog. Flashlight. That's my funk.
I'm not anti-Christian. I'm anti-stupid.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Can I be Frank with you, you don't like tea. Brian37 17 961 November 18, 2020 at 10:33 pm
Last Post: no one
  You've seen it, you can't unsee it, and it'll change your perception of music forever Alex K 5 1261 April 23, 2017 at 6:57 pm
Last Post: Alex K
  Musicians today are fake Foxaèr 24 2741 January 7, 2016 at 5:21 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4