Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 3:52 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
UK to leave EU
Exclamation 
UK to leave EU
Your thoughts?
For Religion & Health see:[/b][/size] Williams & Sternthal. (2007). Spirituality, religion and health: Evidence and research directions. Med. J. Aust., 186(10), S47-S50. -LINK

The WIN/Gallup End of Year Survey 2013 found the US was perceived to be the greatest threat to world peace by a huge margin, with 24% of respondents fearful of the US followed by: 8% for Pakistan, and 6% for China. This was followed by 5% each for: Afghanistan, Iran, Israel, North Korea. -LINK

"That's disgusting. There were clean athletes out there that have had their whole careers ruined by people like Lance Armstrong who just bended thoughts to fit their circumstances. He didn't look up cheating because he wanted to stop, he wanted to justify what he was doing and to keep that continuing on." - Nicole Cooke
RE: UK to leave EU
Fucked.

^ Pretty much sums up my feelings and is an apt description of Britain now.
Brilliant. We've regained our sovereignty and I am pleased with the result.
What's your thoughts, OP?
Well I don't really have what could be described as a healthy respect for the UK as it is. I see them as largely stuck in the past, and the EU did offer an avenue for positive change. However it is in many ways an affront to democracy, and I would like to see Britons use this opportunity to get important democratic reforms started. If they fail to do that then they won't have regained sovereignty.

Oh and I am very pleased that UK citizens were given the ability to give their direct decision on the matter through a referendum. I think we need (e.g. in Australia) to look at ways to give citizens a greater say over things rather than always rely on politicians who often fail to represent their constituencies.
For Religion & Health see:[/b][/size] Williams & Sternthal. (2007). Spirituality, religion and health: Evidence and research directions. Med. J. Aust., 186(10), S47-S50. -LINK

The WIN/Gallup End of Year Survey 2013 found the US was perceived to be the greatest threat to world peace by a huge margin, with 24% of respondents fearful of the US followed by: 8% for Pakistan, and 6% for China. This was followed by 5% each for: Afghanistan, Iran, Israel, North Korea. -LINK

"That's disgusting. There were clean athletes out there that have had their whole careers ruined by people like Lance Armstrong who just bended thoughts to fit their circumstances. He didn't look up cheating because he wanted to stop, he wanted to justify what he was doing and to keep that continuing on." - Nicole Cooke
Referendums only work when the population is educated on the matter at hand. They should be reserved for civil rights matters and not for complicated economic issues.

If you held a referendum to end taxes, how many idiots do you think would vote yes?
^^^Fuckin Yup^^^

ETA: Except for the civil rights part. Civil rights referendums can go horribly wrong when there is an underrepresented or disenfranchised minority's rights at stake. If segregation laws were up for referendum, there are some portions of the South in America which would happily vote to segregate schools/businesses. Hell, there are places in America where black people would vote to segregate themselves.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
-and then immediately begin to bitch about the government and their shitty roads. Pretty much how I see the next decade going for the soon-to-be-former UK.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
The immediate and expected reactions. From the BBC.

Quote:Tokyo traders react to markets
Posted at 07:15

Currency traders in Tokyo react to the dramatic fall in the value of the pound in the wake of the UK's vote to leave the EU.

The move in sterling is the biggest one-day fall ever seen and London's main share index, the FTSE 100, is expected to open sharply lower, with indications of a fall of around 7%.

Quote:Dutch anti-immigration politician Geert Wilders has congratulated the UK on its Leave win. And he's called for a Netherlands referendum on the EU.

We want be to in charge of our own country, our own money, our own borders, and our own immigration policy."
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
(June 24, 2016 at 1:30 am)Tiberius Wrote: Referendums only work when the population is educated on the matter at hand. They should be reserved for civil rights matters and not for complicated economic issues.

If you held a referendum to end taxes, how many idiots do you think would vote yes?

You don't do your argument any favours by labelling your opponents as uneducated hicks who can't understand complicated matters.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Let's talk Parental Leave Cecelia 10 979 October 17, 2021 at 8:25 am
Last Post: Spongebob
  Scotland could leave the UK, and join Canada instead, says author Isis 21 7170 April 8, 2017 at 12:33 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Merkel will pay migrants to leave Germany account_inactive 26 4677 February 12, 2017 at 3:28 am
Last Post: account_inactive
  Hey Tim. Leave The God Shit to the Repulbicunts Minimalist 12 2462 October 4, 2016 at 5:15 pm
Last Post: Aegon
  EU: Should the UK Leave or Stay? Napoléon 255 20212 May 4, 2016 at 4:00 am
Last Post: Marsellus Wallace
  Ben Carson Threatens to Leave GOP Minimalist 11 2003 December 11, 2015 at 5:15 pm
Last Post: Chad32
  Far-right rioters leave trail of destruction in Polish capital kılıç_mehmet 39 8405 November 20, 2013 at 9:39 am
Last Post: EgoRaptor
  French troops to leave Afghanistan Something completely different 23 8224 November 20, 2012 at 6:40 pm
Last Post: Brakeman