Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 16, 2024, 6:55 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Americans spend $30 billion annually on alternative medicine
Americans spend $30 billion annually on alternative medicine
Article is about Americans, but unfortunately most other countries are not much different

Americans spend a good chunk of their healthcare dollars on alternative medicine, such as acupuncture, yoga, chiropractic care and natural supplements, a new government report shows.

Expenditures in 2012 included:

• $14.7 billion out of pocket on visits to complementary practitioners such as chiropractors, yoga instructors, acupuncturists or massage therapists -- nearly 30 percent of what people spent on traditional medical services.
• $12.8 billion on natural product supplements, which was about one-quarter of what people spent on prescription drugs.
• $2.7 billion on books, CDs, videos and other self-help materials related to complementary health.

http://www.upi.com/Health_News/2016/06/2...466603248/

What?! Chiropracticy is an alternative medicine?! So that means that Alan from "2 and a half men" is a fraud?!! And they say Charlie Sheen is nuts.
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
RE: Americans spend $30 billion annually on alternative medicine
Fucking idiots.
The chiropracter thing was brilliance in action.  Imagine you're a car insurance company...and you can either pay out the ass to send a person to a real doctor..or send them to a quack that's gonna snap their bones for pennies on the dollar.  

It's a no-brainer, and that's exactly how the industry was born, here in the US.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(June 24, 2016 at 3:01 am)Fake Messiah Wrote: [...]What?! Chiropracticy is an alternative medicine?! So that means that Alan from "2 and a half men" is a fraud?!! And they say Charlie Sheen is nuts.

To be fair - if I'm not mistaken, Charlie Sheen publicly went off his antiretroviral drugs, in order to cure his HIV, with goat's milk therapy, administered by a Mexican quack, who claimed to have injected himself with Sheen's infected blood, to prove his confidence in his healing abilities.

At least chiropractor is not very likely to kill you (although that does happen occasionally). But yeah - chiropractic is utter bullsh*t, concocted by a grocer, after he came to believe, that he cured deafness, by playfully hitting a guy on the back, during casual conversation.
"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one." - George Bernard Shaw
(June 24, 2016 at 3:17 am)Rhythm Wrote: The chiropracter thing was brilliance in action.  Imagine you're a car insurance company...and you can either pay out the ass to send a person to a real doctor..or send them to a quack that's gonna snap their bones for pennies on the dollar.  

It's a no-brainer, and that's exactly how the industry was born, here in the US.

I worked for St*te F*rm Ins. and we didn't steer people to chiros. Quite the opposite. In Indiana the insurance companies and medical establishment was found guilty of conspiring against the chiroquacktic practitioners. Now claim handlers have to sit through an annual presentation by the idiots.
When?  Chiropracters consolidated their industry and business model (including profitable dependencies) in 1974 - and particularly so in "no-fault" states.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(June 24, 2016 at 3:01 am)Fake Messiah Wrote: Article is about Americans, but unfortunately most other countries are not much different

Americans spend a good chunk of their healthcare dollars on alternative medicine, such as acupuncture, yoga, chiropractic care and natural supplements, a new government report shows.

Expenditures in 2012 included:

• $14.7 billion out of pocket on visits to complementary practitioners such as chiropractors, yoga instructors, acupuncturists or massage therapists -- nearly 30 percent of what people spent on traditional medical services.
• $12.8 billion on natural product supplements, which was about one-quarter of what people spent on prescription drugs.
• $2.7 billion on books, CDs, videos and other self-help materials related to complementary health.

http://www.upi.com/Health_News/2016/06/2...466603248/

What?! Chiropracticy is an alternative medicine?! So that means that Alan from "2 and a half men" is a fraud?!! And they say Charlie Sheen is nuts.

That's a lot of money spent on bullshit.  America spends too much on prescription drugs aswell. It's probably not as bad as Africa or China though where endangered animals are at risk from alternative medicine.

Are you ready for the fire? We are firemen. WE ARE FIREMEN! The heat doesn’t bother us. We live in the heat. We train in the heat. It tells us that we’re ready, we’re at home, we’re where we’re supposed to be. Flames don’t intimidate us. What do we do? We control the flame. We control them. We move the flames where we want to. And then we extinguish them.

Impersonation is treason.

Roger that, they need to cut straight to the chase and sell human penis powder and skullshards.
(June 24, 2016 at 7:41 am)Rhythm Wrote: Roger that, they need to cut straight to the chase and sell human penis powder and skullshards.

Would you, like, snort that or mix it into a drink? Undecided
(June 24, 2016 at 7:03 am)Rhythm Wrote: When?  Chiropracters consolidated their industry and business model (including profitable dependencies) in 1974 - and particularly so in "no-fault" states.
I went to the seminar in 1999, or thereabouts. So the suit was some time before that. 

Anecdote: My aunt was being seen by a chiro for a "bad back". She went to him twice a week for 24 weeks. On the last scheduled visit he "discovered" that she had "broken her leg" sometime in the past and needed to be treated for that. Another 48 visits. "I didn't even notice I'd broken it, I guess. It never bothered me, but he said I should have it treated." And so it goes.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Crystal Children. Americans are droll... mcolafson 22 3163 October 21, 2016 at 9:58 am
Last Post: mediocrates
  Alternative Medicine (Hint: This is NOT really medicine) Bad Writer 65 9363 March 13, 2014 at 7:35 pm
Last Post: Bad Writer