Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 1:01 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jefferson's Bible
Jefferson's Bible
I just returned from visit of Monticello, Thomas Jefferson's home, third President of US. I was on a grounds tour with about 30 visitors. It was very impressive and extolled many of Jefferson's accomplishments. He was a master at trade, politics, architecture, agriculture, philosophy and a great thinker. 

On the tour, there was a copy of Jefferson's Bible. The guide explained Jefferson, and many of founding father were more deist, rather than Christian. They would not recognize modern day Christians. Jefferson had removed and cut out large tracts of the Bible. He considered much of the mystical stuff and parlor tricks as ignorant superstitions. More importantly, the guide said that Jefferson cut out was more shocking then what he left in,...HE CUT OUT JESUS RESURRECTION!

I LAUGHED out loud (at the sacrilege) in the face of the other Christian visitors. It just goes to show, the founding fathers were very different from what Christians would like to believe.
RE: Jefferson's Bible
All references to Jesus' divinity were removed.

It is crazy to me that the average modern day Christian thinks the 'Founding Fathers' were these paragons of virtue and morality.

These slave holding/raping, genocidal, misogynist white dudes were smart and well meaning for the most part, but they were not perfect.

In the Capitol Rotunda in Washington, DC there is a painting called 'The Apotheosis of Washington' which is a perfect, if ironic description of the way we view the nation's first politicians.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
"b-b-b-b-b-b-but, god fearing founding fathers of a christian nation!"

I've never been.  My father in law went and grabbed some seeds for me while he was there.  Got any pics?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Pretty sure if the founding fathers were around today they would more than likely be atheists.
I mean they would not like what the republican and democratic party has turned into either.
Atheism is a non-prophet organization join today. 

Code:
<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/255506953&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>
Can you imagine what would happen to a President today that cut and pasted the Bible like Jefferson did? We might not have been a Christian Nation in 1800 but they sure run the show now.
God thinks it's fun to confuse primates. Larsen's God!

(June 29, 2016 at 4:21 am)chimp3 Wrote: Can you imagine what would happen to a President today that cut and pasted the Bible like Jefferson did? We might not have been a Christian Nation in 1800 but they sure run the show now.

That's what type of president we do need is someone like FDR and Jefferson to be honest someone that is not afraid to come out and say 
this superstitious belief is a load of shit but in all honesty it's the mindset of the people. This type of irrational belief set.. was just handed down
and no one really questioned it. People honestly belief the founding fathers were christian are so full of shit you can give them evidence they 
werent christians and will still say its lie and made up because the government/secular education is godless.
Atheism is a non-prophet organization join today. 

Code:
<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/255506953&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>
(June 29, 2016 at 12:03 am)Darwins Disciple Wrote: I just returned from visit of Monticello, Thomas Jefferson's home, third President of US. I was on a grounds tour with about 30 visitors. It was very impressive and extolled many of Jefferson's accomplishments. He was a master at trade, politics, architecture, agriculture, philosophy and a great thinker. 

On the tour, there was a copy of Jefferson's Bible. The guide explained Jefferson, and many of founding father were more deist, rather than Christian. They would not recognize modern day Christians. Jefferson had removed and cut out large tracts of the Bible. He considered much of the mystical stuff and parlor tricks as ignorant superstitions. More importantly, the guide said that Jefferson cut out was more shocking then what he left in,...HE CUT OUT JESUS RESURRECTION!

I LAUGHED out loud (at the sacrilege) in the face of the other Christian visitors. It just goes to show, the founding fathers were very different from what Christians would like to believe.

Then you and your guide are ignorant of basic history of Thomas Jefferson.

The "jefferson bible" was not a bible Jefferson use to create his own version of Christianity. Jefferson was a devoute in his belief in God and did attend church all of his life.. And in the 1790's fought hard to defend his faith and expell the idea that he was an atheist. Further more Jefferson was noted in being a church goer all of his life. even going alone when his family couldnt join him.
https://www.monticello.org/site/research...us-beliefs

No, the 'jefferson bible' was not a bible at all, but the compliantion or rough draft to another works mentioned below.

Jefferson first excised passages from the New Testament in 1804. He created this first compilation, known as The Philosophy of Jesus of Nazareth, from two English New Testaments he received from Ireland, published in 17912 and 1799.3 By 1805, Jefferson had apparently considered revising the compilation, but did not do so. It was not until late 1819, after William Short, his former private secretary in France, encouraged him to do so, that Jefferson began work on what would become The Life and Morals of Jesus of Nazareth.4 Short wrote, " . . . I see with real pain that you have no intention of continuing the abstract from the Evangelists which you began at Washington. The reason you give for confining yourself to classical reading & mathematical truths should not, I should think, operate against this agreeable task—& if agreeable to you, I know nothing which could be more so, & at the same time more useful to others. You observe that what is genuine is easily distinguished from the rubbish in which it is buried—if so, it is an irresistible reason for your continuing the work—for others, it would seem, have not found it thus distinguishable."5

https://www.monticello.org/site/research...s-nazareth

He did not complete the work as stated in the above many saw this as an act of atheism in the 1790, and he fought long and hard to disprove that.

And if you note i took all my quotes from monticello.org

So again, it looks like you and your guide are ignorant of the history of Thomas Jefferson. It seems both of you have fallen prey to the secular propaganda that is trying to rewrite history. the term "the jefferson bible" is key here. this is the propagandist's term to describe the literary work Jefferson Himself titled "the life and morals of Jesus Christ." and "the philosphy of Jesus Christ."

Why would he do such a thing if he were not trying to start his own version of Christianity.. IDK maybe for the same reason Concordances compile information by subject, or maybe He did it for the SAME reason I do it... So that one can have quick access to everything (in this case Jesus said about morality/philosphy) in one place. Remember they did not have google. (i've done the same thing concerning bapptism, Music, forgivness, Hell, and the like. Like Jefferson I cut and paste whole passages and write my personal notes to tie things together. It's call studying the bible in "holy roller" terms.. but it seems in atheist speak it means people like this are atheists. Dodgy

If you read the last few lines of the last link it gives a good reason what why Jefferson compiled or worked on his book"

"The Life and Morals of Jesus of Nazareth was very likely among the works on morality that Jefferson read every evening before retiring to bed. He wrote in 1819, "I never go to bed without an hour, or half hour's previous reading of something moral, whereon to ruminate in the intervals of sleep."14

It sounds like he wanted a quick reference to the teachings of Christ so as to have something to read at night.
(June 29, 2016 at 2:06 pm)Drich Wrote: It sounds like he wanted a quick reference to the teachings of Christ so as to have something to read at night.

You mean Jesus, right? As for your Christ, you might want to acquaint yourself with Jefferson's dim view of your boy, Paul.
By his own standards, maybe..Drich..but I doubt he ever A/S/Ked.....

Quote:Question with boldness even the existence of a god; because if there be one he must approve of the homage of reason more than that of blindfolded fear.
-Thomas Jefferson

Quote:You say you are a Calvinist. I am not. I am of a sect by myself, as far as I know.
-Thomas Jefferson

Quote:And the day will come when the mystical generation of Jesus, by the supreme being as his father in the womb of a virgin will be classed with the fable of the generation of Minerve in the brain of Jupiter. But may we hope that the dawn of reason and freedom of thought in these United States will do away with this artificial scaffolding, and restore to us the primitive and genuine doctrines of this most venerated reformer of human errors.
-Thomas Jefferson

Almost feel bad that we let him down on the last one, almost......slave-driving jesusite prick ,lol. At least the superstitious beliefs of our current faithful provide them with plausible cover for the worst hobgoblins of their minds.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(June 29, 2016 at 2:06 pm)Drich Wrote: It sounds like he wanted a quick reference to the teachings of Christ so as to have something to read at night.

ROFLOL
A "quick reference" guide to a 2000+ year old teaching.

Sounds silly, doesn't it?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Without citing the bible, what marks the bible as the one book with God's message? Whateverist 143 43904 March 31, 2022 at 7:05 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  Illinois bible colleges: "We shouldn't have to follow state standards because bible!" Esquilax 34 7404 January 23, 2015 at 12:29 pm
Last Post: Spooky