Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 10:10 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Homo evolutis
Homo evolutis
What do you think of the idea that we are evolving into a new species named Homo evolutis ? The first species to take command of it's own evolutionary future? I can think of one simple proof this may be happening. Vaccination against disease. Is modern medicine our extended phenotype?
God thinks it's fun to confuse primates. Larsen's God!

RE: Homo evolutis
Not to my way of thinking.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
We'll be a new species when our genome has changed enough that we would have difficulty interbreeding with current humans.
I'm not anti-Christian. I'm anti-stupid.
(June 29, 2016 at 5:26 am)chimp3 Wrote: What do you think of the idea that we are evolving into a new species named Homo evolutis ? The first species to take command of it's own evolutionary future? I can think of one simple proof this may be happening. Vaccination against disease. Is modern medicine our extended phenotype?

There isn't any selection happening by way of vaccination.  Everyone gets vaccinated, accept the conspiracy theorists.  Furthermore there is no breeding advantage involved for either the vaccinated or the unvaccinated.  Presently those who breed the most tend to be those living in under-developed countries with the highest infant mortality.  Education is negatively associated with family size in developed countries.  It is hard to see how natural selection can function in the current population in the developed world, though if some especially deadly virus broke out of something like ebola we might discover pockets of immunity.  That would be evolution in progress.
(June 29, 2016 at 5:26 am)chimp3 Wrote: What do you think of the idea that we are evolving into a new species named Homo evolutis ? The first species to take command of it's own evolutionary future? I can think of one simple proof this may be happening. Vaccination against disease. Is modern medicine our extended phenotype?

I mean, it's an interesting concept to think about: once we reached the point where we could define ourselves as a species, when will we reach the point where we're a different species?

The technical answer, as Mister Agenda says, surely involves the genome.

The lay answer is, I would think: "not for many thousands of years."

But it is an interesting issue philosophically I think
How will we know, when the morning comes, we are still human? - 2D

Don't worry, my friend.  If this be the end, then so shall it be.
I doubt that gene editing will take a thousand years to take off. When -might- we become seperate species, or more likely consider varying groups sub-species...almost as soon as we figure out how.

Homo evolutis, though..probably not.....more like Homo-rich, and Homo-poor.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(June 29, 2016 at 10:59 am)Rhythm Wrote: I doubt that gene editing will take a thousand years to take off.  When -might- we become seperate species, or more likely consider varying groups sub-species...almost as soon as we figure out how.

Homo evolutis, though..probably not.....more like Homo-rich, and Homo-poor.

we already use Gene editing along with CISPR both of which are going into human trial testing.
That being said Gene editing along with CISPR are both the key to fighting cancer and HIV/AIDs.
I posted a link about this already but yeah both are going into human trials you can already get your genes
edited i will probably do mine as well get the junk ones thrown along with the negative ones so that way
when or if i have a kid he/she gets all the good stuff.
Atheism is a non-prophet organization join today. 

Code:
<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/255506953&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>
Our evolution is going nowhere until I fulfill my destiny and lead humanity to the New Paradigm.
[Image: rySLj1k.png]

If you have any serious concerns, are being harassed, or just need someone to talk to, feel free to contact me via PM
(June 29, 2016 at 2:05 pm)dyresand Wrote: we already use Gene editing along with CISPR both of which are going into human trial testing.
That being said Gene editing along with CISPR are both the key to fighting cancer and HIV/AIDs.
I posted a link about this already but yeah both are going into human trials you can already get your genes
edited i will probably do mine as well get the junk ones thrown along with the negative ones so that way
when or if i have a kid he/she gets all the good stuff.

Oh I know, it's all the rage.  I'd say that you aren't really imagining the full potential of the tech, though, if all you're going to have done is get rid of "the bad stuff".  How do you plan to pay for that, anyway?

Don;t get me wrong, I think the tech is great...and I'd go for something entirely more exotic than just shoring up whatever genetic frailty exists in me, hell...I'd have opted to turn my kids into ubermensch in-utero if it was on the table.
(not that they'll need it, you should all be prepared to feel the cruel thigh high stiletto of my Morrigan on your necks someday)
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
So, lets assume we can send a ship to a planet taking some like 10000 years for us to hear from them again. Woould we still be the same species? Probably not given environment differences on said planet.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What's the Next Step in Evolution for Homo Sapiens? Rhondazvous 58 9845 March 1, 2017 at 11:54 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  Homo Futurus Glitch 13 3281 July 7, 2013 at 12:44 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  Why are we the only members of the homo genus? Adjusted Sanity 36 13107 June 14, 2012 at 5:33 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  Homo Erectus was the first to cook food Justtristo 5 2199 August 23, 2011 at 6:34 am
Last Post: thesummerqueen