Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 7:48 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Teacher Within
Question 
The Teacher Within
Have you ever chosen a "teacher" or "coach" or "counselor" to help you with an area of your life which you identified as needing greater structure or calibration? If so, then you may instantly recognize that it was you who first observed within yourself the need for adjustment, and then it was you who chose which teacher, coach or counselor to assist in your work.

If this is the case, and we are our own first alert to what changes may be needed, and we are capable of recognizing this, and then also choosing a helper for the task, it raises the question... Who is making that decision, and how can we be sure we can trust the instinct for change, and then the selection of a helper for the task? 

Is there a teacher, or "knower" within, and if we discover that there is, should we not explore that source for our assistance? What would that look like?

Your thoughts....
RE: The Teacher Within
No theep dinkers in the house?
(June 30, 2016 at 2:36 pm)Spirian Wrote: Who is making that decision,
Don't know, the language may not even be applicable.

Quote:and how can we be sure we can trust the instinct for change,
We can't be, more an issue of being comfortable than sure..though, isn't it? 

Quote:and then the selection of a helper for the task? 
I imagine you'd vet the person, check their creds, test the water person to person.  

Quote:Is there a teacher, or "knower" within, and if we discover that there is, should we not explore that source for our assistance? What would that look like?
A feedback loop? I'm not sure if we're talking about the same thing...but the "knower within" can't teach you anything you don't already know, almost by definition. Which is what I used to tell folks who tried to convince me that the secrets of the universe would open up to me if I'd just meditate with them, and maybe give a little bit of cash to the temple.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
This is dumb.
(July 1, 2016 at 2:28 pm)Rhythm Wrote: I imagine you'd vet the person, check their creds, test the water person to person.  

And by which measure would such a person be vetted? Would it not be to a standard commensurate with the one doing the vetting, and if that is the case, how can that vetting process be trusted?
As I said, it seems to be more an issue of comfort than certainty. As in, a person is uncomfortable with their level of "x", and so they find someone or something that they feel comfortable with to increase the level of "x"..until such a time as they no longer feel uncomfortable with their level of "x".

To make it more concrete. Let;s say I didn;t think that I knew enough about physics, perhaps I;d ask Alex questions. My asking him doesn't mean that I think he knows everything about physics, or that I'm certain his every answer will be spot on....or even that -we- in the aggregate have physics completely right.

At each step I've done a little internal calculus as to what I want, what my expctations are, and what I will be willing to accept as furthering me toward those expectations. At some point, conceptually, I'll determine whether or not those goals have been meet to my satisfaction. This seems to work, for the most part...but it's the same process that allows a con man to rob you blind. So, obviously, caveat emptor.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(July 1, 2016 at 2:45 pm)Rhythm Wrote: As I said, it seems to be more an issue of comfort than certainty.

Indeed. So the bottom line is... By what standard do we select our mentors? Echo chamber anyone?

(July 1, 2016 at 2:43 pm)Excited Penguin Wrote: This is dumb.

It may appear dumb to some. I understand.
This reminds me of a line from, among many other forms of media, Futurama:

"Ok, I'm insane, but I'm still sane enough to know it!"

The ability to do X and the ability to recognize a deficiency in the ability to do X are linked (see, e.g., the Dunning-Kruger Effect), but are not synonymous. I mean... I think what you're getting at is along the lines of "maybe we ask for help whenever we get stuck, when ultimately it would be more rewarding to work things out ourselves." A lot of times, that's true, but not always. The ability to efficiently discern when one would be rewarded by solving a problem on one's own, as opposed to when one would be unable to advance without external guidance, is a rare and valuable skill.
How will we know, when the morning comes, we are still human? - 2D

Don't worry, my friend.  If this be the end, then so shall it be.
How is it not dumb? Do you have any good answer to your own question, for example?
(July 1, 2016 at 2:48 pm)TheRealJoeFish Wrote: The ability to efficiently discern when one would be rewarded by solving a problem on one's own, as opposed to when one would be unable to advance without external guidance, is a rare and valuable skill.

Indeed. I believe all people have this ability, and have abdicated it to others.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The potential within 3D printing Something completely different 0 742 January 5, 2013 at 6:22 am
Last Post: Something completely different