Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 3:19 am

Poll: If your child became a theist, after being completely shocked, what do you do?
This poll is closed.
Accept them if they rationally believe in God
50.00%
6 50.00%
Tell them they have commited intellectual sucide and not listen to your childs logic
16.67%
2 16.67%
Dont accept them anymore, who could logiacally become a theist?
0%
0 0%
I dont know?!?
8.33%
1 8.33%
I am a theist
25.00%
3 25.00%
Total 12 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
If your child became a theist...
If your child became a theist...
Imagine, you have taught your child there is no logic and reasoning in religion or in the belief of God or gods. Your child is older now (Lets say 20) and becomes a theist. After trying to convince them and they still persisit, what do you do?
RE: If your child became a theist...
I wouldn't and haven't taught them that a belief in God or gods is irrational nor would I try to convince them they should be an atheist if they became a theist.

So you question doesn't apply to me or most other atheists I know.
[Image: cinjin_banner_border.jpg]
Where is the option "I'd accept them regardless of their beliefs. I'm their parent, not their owner."?
None of the above...

I seriously doubt any atheist here would think it is possible to rationally believe in a God.

That said, is Pantheism a theology or simply a philosophy?
That's a rational belief in God... because it's not personal. To a pantheist, God is just another name for nature.
"We need not a God; just another human being to give life a meaning. For people are truly all people have" author unknown

Quote:Where is the option "I'd accept them regardless of their beliefs. I'm their parent, not their owner."?

I guess the first one?

Quote:I seriously doubt any atheist here would think it is possible to rationally believe in a God.

According to you and them. Antony Flew, one of the greatest philosophers of the 20th centruy became a deist and thought it was rather rational.
I swear Deists just give up and say God did it and that's that. Nothing else to them.
"We need not a God; just another human being to give life a meaning. For people are truly all people have" author unknown

And this is an intelligent poll question??

I'm with Adrian...where is the option of ...
Quote:"I'd accept them regardless of their beliefs. I'm their parent, not their owner."?
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
One of my daughters did join a church about a year ago.

I let her go with it since she is an adult and after a couple of months she realized what a load of crap it all was and gave up.

oh well.........
[Image: mybannerglitter06eee094.gif]
If you're not supposed to ride faster than your guardian angel can fly then mine had better get a bloody SR-71.
(August 9, 2010 at 7:21 am)solja247 Wrote:
Quote:Where is the option "I'd accept them regardless of their beliefs. I'm their parent, not their owner."?

I guess the first one?
No, the first one is "Accept them if they rationally believe in God".

I'd accept my children even if they irrationally believed in God. Besides, I don't think you can believe in God rationally; otherwise I'd be a believer...
I would accept my child no matter what they believed in because I hope I would have done my best to teach them how to think, not what to think.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The fascinating asymmetry of theist-atheist discussion Astreja 5 436 July 22, 2023 at 8:02 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  I'm no longer an anti-theist Duty 27 1942 September 16, 2022 at 1:08 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
Question Atheists and Agnostics that have child Eclectic 11 1144 August 28, 2022 at 3:36 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  I received a letter from a theist, need a good reply Radamand 22 1932 March 22, 2022 at 10:56 pm
Last Post: Ferrocyanide
  Athiest parent sending child to Catholic school EchoEllis 36 5085 December 2, 2021 at 10:24 am
Last Post: brewer
  Atheists: What would you say to a dying child who asks you if they'll go to heaven? DodosAreDead 91 11026 November 2, 2018 at 9:07 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  Why do theist often drop the letter s when referring to atheists? I_am_not_mafia 56 11814 August 23, 2018 at 4:20 pm
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic
Tongue Disproving Odin - An Experiment in arguing with a theist with Theist logic Cecelia 983 146128 June 6, 2018 at 2:11 pm
Last Post: Raven Orlock
  If your child cries it means Satan is in him Ruckus123 8 1905 May 5, 2018 at 9:58 pm
Last Post: Chad32
  Why was Newton a theist? Alexmahone 65 12566 March 24, 2018 at 12:39 pm
Last Post: Jehanne