Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 16, 2024, 12:29 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Religion stems from ancient pagan astrology.
Religion stems from ancient pagan astrology.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50
RE: Religion stems from ancient pagan astrology.
All I'll say is just because an argument is a criticism against religion doesn't mean it's evidence-based.

There are good arguments against Christianity and other religions, and then there are terrible arguments.
(July 1, 2016 at 2:00 pm)Irrational Wrote: All I'll say is just because an argument is a criticism against religion doesn't mean it's evidence-based.

There are good arguments against Christianity and other religions, and then there are terrible arguments.

It is based on archaeology and history.
(July 1, 2016 at 2:09 pm)Brian37 Wrote:
(July 1, 2016 at 2:00 pm)Irrational Wrote: All I'll say is just because an argument is a criticism against religion doesn't mean it's evidence-based.

It is based on archaeology and history.

More like pseudoscience: astrology, numerology, etc.
I don't put too much stock in that stuff.  There was far too much cultural cross-pollination going on due to trade and the occasional conquest.  Ideas moved along the trade routes even more easily than goods.
Religion comes from ancient obsession with the vagina. Start with the Stonehenge. Circles could have symbolic anatomical links. Stonehenge could represent the opening by which the Earth Mother gave birth to the plants and animals on which ancient people so depended.
The similarity between Stonehenge seen from above and the anatomy of the female sexual organ is unprecedented. This central area is empty because it represents the opening to the world, the birth canal.

Hello, pussy lips
[Image: acef51a0fb572db3d7114253639d61f8.jpg]

Same as caves and cave art. They used to take boys, strip them naked put through an ordeal circumcision, subincision, the drinking of men's blood, and so forth. Then they go trough this narrow dark caves that represent womb and when they go out they squeeze out like from vagina but this time not as babies but as men and when they go back to the village and the girls that are chosen as their wives are waiting for them. They don't go back to the mother, but nowadays these rituals are gone and when some men are still trying to be obedient to their fathers they go to the psychoanalyst, who does the job that shaman used to do.

Similar with the temples. Just take a look at entrance of Chartres Cathedral - Jesus in the vagina surrounded by sacred animals.
[Image: 4RYbVHxd.png]
When you walk into a cathedral, you move into a world of again animal images, it's no coincidence that for instance apostles are animals. It is the mother womb of your spiritual life -- mother church.
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
I think I saw this video years ago. It may have been one of the videos that was the final nail in the coffin of my belief in christianity. When I found out that the story of Jesus wasn't original or unique, I really had no reason to believe anymore.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

(July 1, 2016 at 3:57 pm)Chad32 Wrote: I think I saw this video years ago. It may have been one of the videos that was the final nail in the coffin of my belief in christianity. When I found out that the story of Jesus wasn't original or unique, I really had no reason to believe anymore.

A foundation not based on critical thinking and proper skepticism is not the best foundation for lack of belief in any religion.
(July 1, 2016 at 3:01 pm)Minimalist Wrote: I don't put too much stock in that stuff.  There was far too much cultural cross-pollination going on due to trade and the occasional conquest.  Ideas moved along the trade routes even more easily than goods.

No that is precisely the point. Europe and Mesopotamia are in very close proximity to Egypt and this proves that that traveling and "Cross pollination" are how all religions start. 

No different than say telling a joke on social media, spread it around long enough, the details change but the motifs overlap and do that over and over you won't always have a direct connection to the original starting point.

To assume that those similar stories are not a result of cross pollination considering the close proximity of northern Africa/Mesopotamia and Europe would be a mistake. 

Even the bible itself references pagan gods. If they had no prior connection to those ideas they wouldn't have had anything to demonize to gain converts to Christianity.
(July 1, 2016 at 3:59 pm)Brian37 Wrote: Even the bible itself references pagan gods. If they had no prior connection to those ideas they wouldn't have had anything to demonize to gain converts to Christianity.

This is a non-sequitur as related to the conclusion of your general argument.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Croatian ancient river naming conventions FlatAssembler 177 7343 February 11, 2024 at 9:16 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Ancient man in America? Fake Messiah 4 524 June 20, 2020 at 4:27 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Question: ancient burials. WinterHold 36 2325 April 22, 2019 at 11:21 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Ancient Eqyptian Quiz Minimalist 30 2936 May 31, 2016 at 1:24 am
Last Post: Minimalist