Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 2:11 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sleep patterns. Nature or Nurture?
Sleep patterns. Nature or Nurture?
For some crazy reason, it just popped into my head.
You know in ST TNG, where we see the young ones being looked after, like kindergarten, (obviously the voyage is multigenerational as they allow fornicating).
These new baby humans have never seen or synced with earth days/nights. Out the window is permanent black with the odd celestial object.

How would their body/mind react to that? Does the mind set an arbitrary sleep cycle and normalises to that through repetition?
Or is there an internal hard wired clock somewhere in the dna which always knows when the body should be naturally asleep, based on the earth cycle?
We are humans, therefore all our (at least primate) evolution has been in the presence of the earth day/night cycle.

I suppose the same can be said for those living long periods on the space station? No adverse effects?
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
RE: Sleep patterns. Nature or Nurture?
I remember hearing somewhere that we originally could have slept every other day (our species or our ancestors), but we ended up settling into a daily routine instead.

No idea where that came from or how reliable it is.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
I can't see any evolutionary benefit to that one though Rob? Was it theorised in a doco or something?
Be aware and awake during the day seems the most beneficial?
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
I really can't remember. It's possible it was someone talking crap. I'm trying to look it up and I can't find anything.

It does sound very odd, yeah.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of my best videos
(July 4, 2016 at 7:14 am)ignoramus Wrote: I can't see any evolutionary benefit to that one though Rob?  Was it theorised in a doco or something?
Be aware and awake during the day seems the most beneficial?

The myth of the eight-hour sleep

Quote:In 2001, historian Roger Ekirch of Virginia Tech published a seminal paper, drawn from 16 years of research, revealing a wealth of historical evidence that humans used to sleep in two distinct chunks.

His book At Day's Close: Night in Times Past, published four years later, unearths more than 500 references to a segmented sleeping pattern - in diaries, court records, medical books and literature, from Homer's Odyssey to an anthropological account of modern tribes in Nigeria.

Much like the experience of Wehr's subjects, these references describe a first sleep which began about two hours after dusk, followed by waking period of one or two hours and then a second sleep.

Quote:A doctor's manual from 16th Century France even advised couples that the best time to conceive was not at the end of a long day's labour but "after the first sleep", when "they have more enjoyment" and "do it better".
"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one." - George Bernard Shaw
Quote:Human Hibernation

At the beginning of the 19th century, France was four-fifths rural. Almost a third of these lived in hamlets of fewer than 35 people. Without an industrial revolution to transform its roads, railways and canals, travelling in ‘la France profonde’ was as exotic as a trip to the lands of Tartary. In the years after the revolution of 1789, reports came back of almost unimaginably primitive lifestyles.

The peasant’s year was divided into two seasons: five months of labour, where 99% of the work was done and seven months of winter. As money was practically unknown in rural France until the late 19th century, there was little motivation to do anything other than conserve energy. It seems in many places, whole families just took to their beds, snug under their hayloft, with a supply of dried and preserved food and their animals in the next room to keep them warm. If anyone died, the corpse was stored on the roof and buried when the weather got warmer.[...]

http://qi.com/infocloud/hibernation
"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one." - George Bernard Shaw
I could do with some of that right now.

Index of my best videos
For reasons not germane to the topic I started going to bed before 8 pm and getting up at 4 am a few years ago. I kept that habit until a few months ago. Then I decided to go back to a more rational schedule. It's taken me four months to train my body to stay up "late" and get up "late", but changing sleep habits can be done, for a lot of people. Professional insomniacs have my sympathy.
Circadian rhythm must be considered.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circadian_rhythm
On Star Trek, I'm sure the Dr. Beverley has a hypospray to establish any circadian rhythm desired.

No matter what time of day the Borg attack, everyone is always bright and perky. It has to be the meds.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Narcolepsy/ Sleep disorder support tackattack 16 734 December 7, 2021 at 10:59 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  The importance of sleep Aegon 26 1572 July 21, 2018 at 8:32 am
Last Post: Joods
  How Nature was able to understand what we need. RayOfLight 30 3481 October 14, 2017 at 10:35 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  On the nature, reliability and abuses of memory. Whateverist 7 1229 August 29, 2016 at 4:02 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  Nature: Does evolutionary theory need a rethink? Dolorian 10 4050 October 12, 2014 at 10:52 am
Last Post: Chas
  Precision in Nature: Evidence of God or Accidents? Alter2Ego 20 8202 August 13, 2013 at 9:48 am
Last Post: Something completely different
  Women and Nature KichigaiNeko 18 7240 August 4, 2012 at 4:07 am
Last Post: Oldandeasilyconfused
  Raw Nature Zen Badger 12 5890 March 28, 2012 at 11:48 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Animals and patterns. Humans and...? Giff 15 7389 April 12, 2009 at 9:26 am
Last Post: Kyuuketsuki