Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 7:52 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Necroing of threads by newbies
Necroing of threads by newbies
I get that it happens... for various reasons.... but it just seems to me, and maybe I'm the only one here... but "most" (and I use that term lightly) of the time, whenever a post gets brought back to life after it's been dead for more than three months - it's typically done by a new member who might not have given it much forethought.

Is there some sort of way to prevent this from happening unless the person has been here at least 30 days and made at least 60 posts? You know, sort of give them time to see how this forum runs and possibly reduce the chances of necroing in the future? Clearly, they ignore the warning in red at the bottom of the page that alerts them that they are responding to a thread older than 30 days.

It's just a thought/suggestion. And before I get someone telling me how stupid my idea is.... it's just that. An idea.
Disclaimer: I am only responsible for what I say, not what you choose to understand. 
(November 14, 2018 at 8:57 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: Have a good day at work.  If we ever meet in a professional setting, let me answer your question now.  Yes, I DO want fries with that.
RE: Necroing of threads by newbies
I don't think that's a usergroup option, but then again I have never been a myBB admin.

Either way, it doesn't happen enough to worry about it, methinks.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
Or you know, the moderators could just kindly remind the noob that the thread is old and lock it.
It almost never happens. I don't think I have ever seen a thread locked because of it in all my time here. If necessary the thread can be split and the old one can be locked. I honestly don't see a reason to be uber concerned about it. The only time I see necro-posting as a problem is when someone goes around necro-ing 1500 old threads just to be annoying. A thread here and there isn't hurting anyone.
(August 21, 2017 at 11:31 pm)KevinM1 Wrote: "I'm not a troll"
Religious Views: He gay

0/10

Hammy Wrote:and we also have a sheep on our bed underneath as well
Indeed.
True... but sometimes they will necro a particular upsetting topic. One that could serve as a trigger - such as the latest necroed incest thread....

Yes, agreed that the majority of the time, locking a thread isn't necessary but once in a while a thread that should have stayed dead, gets opened.
Disclaimer: I am only responsible for what I say, not what you choose to understand. 
(November 14, 2018 at 8:57 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: Have a good day at work.  If we ever meet in a professional setting, let me answer your question now.  Yes, I DO want fries with that.
That thread wasn't considered a problem the first time it was created. I think the title gives a pretty clear trigger warning.
(August 21, 2017 at 11:31 pm)KevinM1 Wrote: "I'm not a troll"
Religious Views: He gay

0/10

Hammy Wrote:and we also have a sheep on our bed underneath as well
Not going to argue there. I didn't even know it existed until it was resurrected from the dead. Hence, my point.
They tend to hook up with the morality threads or something else striking their fancy. It usually depends if it's theist or atheist coming here. But I haven't seen corps resurection for quite some time now.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
I'm sure there is a way to configure it in myBB but to be honest the time it would take to sort it and implement it would probably be outweighed by the benefit.

We generally do remind people not to necro, and 9 times out of 10 it passes without issue Smile

Appreciate the thought though, Nymph Smile
Love atheistforums.org? Consider becoming a patreon and helping towards our server costs.

[Image: 146748944129044_zpsomrzyn3d.gif]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Suggestion: Install Soma Tablet Depositories On All Threads Violet 17 2476 May 3, 2020 at 1:14 pm
Last Post: Rhizomorph13
Information [Serious] Why can't I subscribe to threads? CaenLeranzo 6 1461 February 25, 2020 at 4:53 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Civil/ safe option for threads. Mystic 2 1090 November 19, 2018 at 10:25 pm
Last Post: SteelCurtain
  I know I'm not supposed to revive really old threads, so... Martian Mermaid 23 4873 November 22, 2017 at 9:45 am
Last Post: I_am_not_mafia
  Alternative to "click bait" rule: block threads robvalue 40 5969 February 6, 2017 at 1:38 am
Last Post: rexbeccarox
  Mafia game threads showing in "Today's Posts" lists Ravenshire 18 6629 February 5, 2017 at 4:53 pm
Last Post: Ravenshire
  Missing drafts (threads, not PMs) Aroura 13 2077 December 2, 2016 at 9:06 pm
Last Post: Aroura
  Suggestion/question: breadcrumb nav at the bottom of threads? KevinM1 17 3011 November 10, 2015 at 4:48 pm
Last Post: KevinM1
  Starting Threads with Links rexbeccarox 17 3591 October 6, 2015 at 5:16 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  How to unsubscribe to threads? MissR 1 1232 December 23, 2014 at 1:39 am
Last Post: Elskidor