Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 20, 2024, 3:53 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Modern medicine - still the third leading cause of death
Modern medicine - still the third leading cause of death
A study in JAMA in 2000 showed that modern medicine is the third leading cause of death in America, after heart disease and cancer. A new study in the British Medical Journal shows that's still the case.

http://www.bmj.com/content/353/bmj.i2139
RE: Modern medicine - still the third leading cause of death
And your point is...?
"Every luxury has a deep price. Every indulgence, a cosmic cost. Each fiber of pleasure you experience causes equivalent pain somewhere else. This is the first law of emodynamics [sic]. Joy can be neither created nor destroyed. The balance of happiness is constant.

Fact: Every time you eat a bite of cake, someone gets horsewhipped.

Facter: Every time two people kiss, an orphanage collapses.

Factest: Every time a baby is born, an innocent animal is severely mocked for its physical appearance. Don't be a pleasure hog. Your every smile is a dagger. Happiness is murder.

Vote "yes" on Proposition 1321. Think of some kids. Some kids."
I thought God was not only the leading but the only cause of death because he likes to torture his creations for their imperfections which he had, undoubted intentionally given his and omnipotence, and omniscience, made possible.
(July 8, 2016 at 8:04 am)alpha male Wrote: A study in JAMA in 2000 showed that modern medicine is the third leading cause of death in America, after heart disease and cancer.[...]

Bullsh*t. Medical error - according to that study - is the third leading cause of death in America. Modern medicine is what keeps other causes of death as low as they are.
"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one." - George Bernard Shaw
I heard about this study. I think it was very problematic because of what counted as medical error and what counted as death through medical intervention. They made some very misleading choices. I'll try n find a link later.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

If you would have died when you were 6 months old, 9 month old, 12 years old, 47 years old, 55 years old and 64 years old, but on each occasion you were saved by modern medicine.  But a medical error killed you when you were 74.   Does that count as modern medicine being the cause of your death and, presumably, therefore you would be better off without modern medicine and should have prayed instead?
(July 8, 2016 at 8:23 am)Anomalocaris Wrote: If you would have died when you were 6 months old, 9 month old, 12 years old, 47 years old, 55 years old and 64 years old, but on each occasion you were saved by modern medicine.  But a medical error killed you when you were 74.   Does that count as modern medicine being the cause of your death and, presumably, therefore you would be better off without modern medicine and should have prayed instead?

And nevermind that without modern medicine, life expectancy would still be in the 30ies. Due to mothers dying when giving birth and due to high infant mortality rates. One has only to leave the doorstep to see the paradise on earth without having access to modern medicine. It's called the Third world. Oh, and should I get started on plague epidemics?
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
https://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/are...n-the-u-s/
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Are we balancing it against the lives it has saved? I guess not. Let's all just pray and see how well that works out.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
Okay alpha, don't go to the doctor then. Leaves more doctors for the rest of us.
In every country and every age, the priest had been hostile to Liberty.
- Thomas Jefferson

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Our Wold may end, according to leading scientists. Jehanne 8 520 April 15, 2021 at 12:48 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Weird medicine. brewer 6 433 February 6, 2021 at 8:41 am
Last Post: brewer
  100% fruit juice liked to increased death death brewer 28 2669 May 22, 2019 at 3:42 pm
Last Post: LastPoet
  Multiple Sclerosis: modern diet doomed us WinterHold 5 825 November 18, 2018 at 5:54 pm
Last Post: WinterHold
  Quackery in Mainstream Medicine brewer 1 580 January 28, 2017 at 3:31 pm
Last Post: Mermaid
  Earliest Modern Human Possibly Had Neanderthal Great-Great Grandparent Secular Elf 2 1002 June 29, 2015 at 6:54 pm
Last Post: Secular Elf
  Creationist finds fossils, still not convinced zebo-the-fat 16 4189 May 31, 2015 at 11:21 am
Last Post: Worom
  Non Traditional Medicine polar bear 41 8421 March 21, 2015 at 9:15 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  what is the cause of the miscarriage? SumitaSofat 4 1123 March 1, 2015 at 7:22 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Prayer Medicine Dragonetti 9 3292 April 25, 2013 at 12:55 pm
Last Post: Jackalope