Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 1:25 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Brexit explained for 'Muricans.
Brexit explained for 'Muricans.
https://youtu.be/daB7np-RtOM

Hope this helps the rest of you as much as it did me .. I think.
RE: Brexit explained for 'Muricans.
Awesomesauce
When my family ask me to explain it I liken it to a state voting to secede from the USA, and the USA being powerless to stop the secession. No more federal funding, no more free travel between states, and any trade agreements would have to basically start from scratch.
Well that helps me out. Up until now, I thought Brexit was someone's last name or something.
Disclaimer: I am only responsible for what I say, not what you choose to understand. 
(November 14, 2018 at 8:57 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: Have a good day at work.  If we ever meet in a professional setting, let me answer your question now.  Yes, I DO want fries with that.
(July 8, 2016 at 11:06 am)Tiberius Wrote: When my family ask me to explain it I liken it to a state voting to secede from the USA, and the USA being powerless to stop the secession. No more federal funding, no more free travel between states, and any trade agreements would have to basically start from scratch.

They also seem to think they can negotiate from a position of equality, don't they?  Taking what they want and ignoring everything else.
(July 8, 2016 at 11:21 am)Minimalist Wrote:
(July 8, 2016 at 11:06 am)Tiberius Wrote: When my family ask me to explain it I liken it to a state voting to secede from the USA, and the USA being powerless to stop the secession. No more federal funding, no more free travel between states, and any trade agreements would have to basically start from scratch.

They also seem to think they can negotiate from a position of equality, don't they?  Taking what they want and ignoring everything else.

Pretty much, so you can probably extend the analogy and say the state was California, or possibly even Texas. Big, lots of people, lots of power, and could definitely function as an individual country, however if you think California or Texas would have the same negotiating power as the entire USA, you're having a laugh.
(July 8, 2016 at 11:25 am)Tiberius Wrote:
(July 8, 2016 at 11:21 am)Minimalist Wrote: They also seem to think they can negotiate from a position of equality, don't they?  Taking what they want and ignoring everything else.

Pretty much, so you can probably extend the analogy and say the state was California, or possibly even Texas. Big, lots of people, lots of power, and could definitely function as an individual country, however if you think California or Texas would have the same negotiating power as the entire USA, you're having a laugh.

And then if the political figures that pushed for the secession immediately resigned after they left..
In every country and every age, the priest had been hostile to Liberty.
- Thomas Jefferson

That's a pretty good way to say it.
“What screws us up the most in life is the picture in our head of what it's supposed to be.”

Also if your signature makes my scrolling mess up "you're tacky and I hate you."
That's the thing, they haven't left yet nor have they even formally invoked the applicable section of the treaty to do so.  Obviously Cameron's position was, "fuck off, I'm not going to do it."   So you have a non-binding referendum which needs to be enacted by a government which seems lukewarm at best to the prospect AND, the rabble-rousers who pushed for it are gone.  Meanwhile the uncertainty it created is most definitely real and the consequences of that are even more real.

The term in the US is "clusterfuck."
(July 8, 2016 at 11:27 am)FatAndFaithless Wrote: And then if the political figures that pushed for the secession immediately resigned after they left..

Well - before they even officially declared their intention to leave, let alone started the process, actually. And those separatist politicians that didn't quit themselves were deemed as unworthy of leadership, by both their peers and the public opinion.
"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one." - George Bernard Shaw

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Brexit LinuxGal 15 1317 December 28, 2022 at 4:47 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  Most British voters support violence on brexit downbeatplumb 17 1466 October 30, 2019 at 9:46 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  brexit timetable Mr Greene 29 1755 March 26, 2017 at 5:55 pm
Last Post: Mr Greene
  Trump voters, explained Aroura 33 5132 October 17, 2016 at 12:19 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  UK Brexit, questions from an American Mechaghostman2 137 10200 June 28, 2016 at 7:27 pm
Last Post: account_inactive
  I Didn't Want To Derail The Brexit Thread but Minimalist 8 1767 June 25, 2016 at 3:00 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Trump Explained Minimalist 20 4265 December 11, 2015 at 4:28 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Teachers Unions explained Koolay 11 2978 July 20, 2013 at 3:43 am
Last Post: MikeTheInfidel
  Secularity and Secularism explained. Paul the Human 3 1662 April 21, 2010 at 5:16 am
Last Post: fr0d0