Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 1:07 am

Poll: What am I?
This poll is closed.
You're swedish
16.67%
1 16.67%
You're kurdish
33.33%
2 33.33%
You're nothing you peasent
50.00%
3 50.00%
Total 6 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My ethnicity
My ethnicity
I don't if this belongs to philosophy or not but w/e.

So I've been thinking about this whenever someone asks me where I'm from. What decides which ethnicity someone belongs to? Both my parents are kurdish but I was born here in Sweden. So, if someone asks me where I'm from what is correct to respond? I was born in sweden so if we speak literally I am from sweden, am I not? But as a person am I swedish or am I kurdish? Is it correct to say both? What decides if I'm swedish or not, is it my genetics? Is it where I'm born? Is it where my parents are from?

Am I a kurd from Sweden?
RE: My ethnicity
You can always say you are a Swedish resident with Kurdish heritage.
Disclaimer: I am only responsible for what I say, not what you choose to understand. 
(November 14, 2018 at 8:57 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: Have a good day at work.  If we ever meet in a professional setting, let me answer your question now.  Yes, I DO want fries with that.
I'm second generation born into America. Both sets of my grandparents came over from Italy. Am I Italian? Yes. But I'm also American. Where do I come from? I come from America, but I am of Italian heritage.
Disclaimer: I am only responsible for what I say, not what you choose to understand. 
(November 14, 2018 at 8:57 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: Have a good day at work.  If we ever meet in a professional setting, let me answer your question now.  Yes, I DO want fries with that.
When you ask someone in the US about their heritage, you will often hear something like "I'm half German, one fourth Irish and one fourth Sioux" or something like that. People will simply say "I'm German" and it is understood that they are talking about their family heritage, and that they are of course (US-)American citizens. My point is that there needn't be one unique description in terms of nationality. Of course the US are a special case, but still.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

That's because the US is "The Melting Pot" of the world.... We have all different kinds here.
US American (there are other americans you know) but third generation German, both sides.

May explain why I like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHmYIo7bcUw

Maybe not.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
You are Swedish. You have Kurdish heritage.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
I don't care about your ethnicity.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
Swedish, Kurdish heritage.
But these other folks are correct, it's a little different here in 'Murica. If someone asks me about my heritage, I assume that they are asking about where my ancestors came from - - since I'm white and have no un-American type accent.  I tell them that it's 96% British Isles, which is why I sunburn under fluorescent lights.  And this is my response, even though I have only spent two weeks in the UK. It can be a bit confusing.  Tongue
"The family that prays together...is brainwashing their children."- Albert Einstein
Doesn't matter.  Trump thinks you're a terrorist!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Truth about Ethnicity onlinebiker 41 2662 September 2, 2020 at 3:03 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4