Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 3:38 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Becoming an Atheist (how to leave another religion?)
Becoming an Atheist (how to leave another religion?)
I was christened as a baby and haven't believed in any religion since I can remember.
I never went to church etc..
I was wondering is there any way I can formally renounce the attachment to Church Of England that I have due to being christened??

Strange question I know but my husband says I can't be an Atheist because I was christened and am technically Church of England even though I haven't believed in it at all or ever practiced it.
RE: Becoming an Atheist (how to leave another religion?)
Doesn't the C.O.E. require witnessing like the Catholics? In the catholic church you can write a letter to the bishop of the part you live in stating you leave the catholic church.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
If you can truthfully say to yourself "I don't believe in a god or gods" then you are an atheist. Simple as that.

I'm afraid that your husband is wrong!

I don't think that the church do any form of anti-christening apart for ex-communication but that's a catholic thing and pretty middle ages stuff.
[Image: cinjin_banner_border.jpg]
Darwinian, I have a standard form letter for "uittreden" (leaving, departing) from the Roman Catholic Church.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
Really.. I didn't know that such a thing existed.
[Image: cinjin_banner_border.jpg]
They made that form specifically for the fact that the RCC (not to be confused with my teamname) gets state funding based on its list of congregation members, and even when non-believers never attend church, their record in the baptised-list is enough to claim those funds. So if you don't want that you can have your data stricken from their list. It's an administrative affair, but then again so is being baptised for them. Smile
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Pastafarian
(December 17, 2008 at 2:15 pm)EmmaM Wrote: (Snip)

Strange question I know but my husband says I can't be an Atheist because I was christened and am technically Church of England even though I haven't believed in it at all or ever practiced it.

You can be an atheist even if you were baptized, confirmed ect ect.

As an atheist you don't believe in god or gods. Baptism means nothing if you don't believe it.

I have seen this thing where atheists would set up a de-baptism thing.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence - Carl Sagan

Mankind's intelligence walks hand in hand with it's stupidity.

Being an atheist says nothing about your overall intelligence, it just means you don't believe in god. Atheists can be as bright as any scientist and as stupid as any creationist.

You never really know just how stupid someone is, until you've argued with them.
(December 17, 2008 at 2:15 pm)EmmaM Wrote: Strange question I know but my husband says I can't be an Atheist because I was christened and am technically Church of England even though I haven't believed in it at all or ever practiced it.
Your husband is very very very very wrong. The CofE doesn't control what you believe, and I was christened like yourself. Back when I was a boy I thought I'd been blessed by Jesus etc, until I realised what really had happened:

An elderly man poured water on my head in front of a large crowd of people.

Simple as that. Religions aren't jobs that you join and have to tell someone you are leaving, they are organisations that you join because you believe what they believe (or are forced into it) and you can leave at any time. Seriously, if you are an atheist how can they possibly have any control over you? It's not like God is going to smite you for not telling them you left...for the obvious reason.
On second thoughts, I've just thought of something extremely fun we could do as a forum.

Hold onto your hats folks...I'll be back.
* Rob sits by his keyboard in anticipation.
Hoi Zaeme.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Prophecies about Trump becoming president scoobysnack 36 5312 January 9, 2017 at 4:52 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  Religion hurts homosexuality but homosexuality kills religion? RozKek 43 10745 March 30, 2016 at 2:46 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Terrorism has no religion but religion brings terrorism. Islam is NOT peaceful. bussta33 13 4911 January 16, 2016 at 8:25 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Religion's affect outside of religion Heat 67 19833 September 28, 2015 at 9:45 pm
Last Post: TheRocketSurgeon
Rainbow Gay rights within the template of religion proves flaws in "religion" CristW 288 49349 November 21, 2014 at 4:09 pm
Last Post: DramaQueen
  Another Reason Religion Sucks Rahul 22 6117 September 23, 2013 at 9:11 am
Last Post: Lemonvariable72
  Atheists are pagan worshipers who started another religion. bjhulk 42 27594 February 16, 2011 at 7:29 pm
Last Post: Calmedady
  Religion Vs Religion. Bull Poopie 14 5190 September 8, 2010 at 9:02 pm
Last Post: Oldandeasilyconfused
  sport and religion ( another example of dubious faith practices) bozo 0 1961 October 12, 2008 at 4:34 pm
Last Post: bozo