Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 8:08 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ask a lifelong (irreligious) atheist
Ask a lifelong (irreligious) atheist
Just in case anyone has any questions about this, and my perspective.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
RE: Ask a lifelong (irreligious) atheist
(July 10, 2016 at 4:37 am)robvalue Wrote: Just in case anyone has any questions about this, and my perspective.

Why you dislike religion?
(July 10, 2016 at 6:21 am)purplepurpose Wrote:
(July 10, 2016 at 4:37 am)robvalue Wrote: Just in case anyone has any questions about this, and my perspective.

Nr 1 reason you dislike religion?

Why do you assume disbelief equates to dislike? It may do but I don't feel it is a given.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

That's tricky.

It's close between indoctrinating young minds and divisiveness.

DBP: True, that was an assumption. I dislike the methods used by the religious, more than I "dislike religion". Religion itself is nothing. It's a tool which takes whatever shape people want.

Edit: the question has changed. Those are my top two things I dislike about how religion is commonly used.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of my best videos
How would you react if your kid told you he was a muslim or a christian?
It's a bit hard to imagine since I don't have any and won't, but I'll answer hypothetically as best I can.

I'd respect their decision. I'd be there if they wanted to talk about it. Especially if they were young, I'd be on the lookout for any harm or duress being done to them, or that they may be causing. I'd address any such issues appropriately. If I felt there were none, then that would be fine.

I'd probably wonder what exactly had happened, and how the critical thinking I'd encouraged had failed, but that would ultimately be my issue not theirs.

Index of my best videos
Is indoctrination in to belief that we must strive to become more loving is bad? In my opinion its noble, even if its painful.
What? Indoctrination that we must become more loving?

I would encourage my children to be loving, and I'd do so by using reason and appealing to empathy, not by indoctrinating. If you're trying to conflate that with religion, you're way off base.

Index of my best videos
You wouldn't be a heathen if you happen to be born in Iraq.
What makes you so sure that your stance (agnostic) is the correct one?

How confident are you that science's view on reality is closer to the truth than the "spiritual" unmeasurable side is?

(After watching a ton of quantum mechanics docos, I feel our view of our reality is very limited at the moment)
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
(July 10, 2016 at 6:32 am)purplepurpose Wrote: Is indoctrination in to belief that we must strive to become more loving is bad? In my opinion its noble, even if its painful.

Are you pretending to be thick? Most religions don't demand that their followers become "more loving" - only more obedient and fearful. And there isn't a single religion that ONLY teaches love; every single one - of those that even mention love of certain people - also preaches hate of some other group/-s (like people of different religions/denominations, or atheists, or homosexuals, or women). Additionally, all of them also propagate a false model of reality and that can never be a good thing.
"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one." - George Bernard Shaw

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ask a former atheist ErGingerbreadMandude 77 14347 November 15, 2017 at 6:57 pm
Last Post: GrandizerII
  Ask an atheist Excited Penguin 23 4850 December 21, 2015 at 2:18 am
Last Post: Cyberman
  Ask a Traditional Atheist with a short attention span The Valkyrie 12 4513 July 24, 2015 at 10:47 pm
Last Post: InsomniacMike486
  Ask a black atheist FriendlyNeighborhoodAtheist 38 5456 July 1, 2015 at 11:59 am
Last Post: pocaracas