Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 6:32 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why is the speed of light constant?
Why is the speed of light constant?
Another thread on this forum got me thinking about the speed of light. Maxwell's equations (a vector calculus form of four other genius' laws to give credit) form the foundation of our understanding of E&M. Quantum physics has given us equations to relate the nuclear forces with the electromagnetic force. So now physicists work on their GUT. So more to the point;

I'm not going to try and argue any of what we have verified about light or the theories surrounding it, I'd rather work within this framework assuming our observations are correct than worry about other options at this moment, other than options that might explain my question.

Why should light travel in the way that it does? What characteristic of spacetime is the root cause of relativistic consequences? The entire argument of relativity is that time, mass and length are relative to observers frames of reference. So something about the act of moving at relatively very high speeds causes spacetime to react in a way that light travels the same speed for both perspectives.

Gravity has proven to 'bend' spacetime, and light will react to this curvature. My thoughts are that perhaps its the motion of the gravity wells that causes the relativistic effects, gravity is thought to travel at the speed of light, but so little is known about the mechanisms of gravity that I wonder what unknown effects it might have.

I have read papers theorizing gravity as a manifestation of a higher spatial dimension, but I'd like to hear responses to this. Since increased mass implies increased gravitational effects, and gravity may be associated with higher spatial dimension is mass an indicator of the effects that 4th dimensional motion has on our perception? (I know, the logic here is very faulty, but its the line of thinking I went through to try and disprove) And could the relative movement of two bodies in this higher dimension have the consequences of relativistic effects? I know this is borderline philosophical, but I'd like to hear theoretical contradictions to this idea as I'm not as well versed in this as I'd like to be.
My religion is the understanding of my world. My god is the energy that underlies it all. My worship is my constant endeavor to unravel the mysteries of my religion. Thinking
RE: Why is the speed of light constant?
The speed of light isn't constant. The speed of light through a certain material is constant, but the speed of light generally can vary massively.

The speed of light through a vacuum is believed to be the speed limit of the universe (i.e. the fastest you can go relative to space-time). However if a light photon goes from a vacuum into water, it will slow down. Scientists can even stop light momentarily: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/3308109.stm

No sure how this affects your question; I just wanted to point out the correction.
(August 10, 2010 at 5:00 pm)Tiberius Wrote: The speed of light isn't constant. The speed of light through a certain material is constant, but the speed of light generally can vary massively.

The speed of light through a vacuum is believed to be the speed limit of the universe (i.e. the fastest you can go relative to space-time). However if a light photon goes from a vacuum into water, it will slow down. Scientists can even stop light momentarily: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/3308109.stm

No sure how this affects your question; I just wanted to point out the correction.

Sure, I should have been more clear, I am strictly speaking of light in a vacuum being constant, more to discuss what this might be a result of, and moreover the root cause of all of those actions.
My religion is the understanding of my world. My god is the energy that underlies it all. My worship is my constant endeavor to unravel the mysteries of my religion. Thinking
(August 10, 2010 at 4:54 pm)ABierman1986 Wrote: I have read papers theorizing gravity as a manifestation of a higher spatial dimension, but I'd like to hear responses to this. Since increased mass implies increased gravitational effects, and gravity may be associated with higher spatial dimension is mass an indicator of the effects that 4th dimensional motion has on our perception? (I know, the logic here is very faulty, but its the line of thinking I went through to try and disprove) And could the relative movement of two bodies in this higher dimension have the consequences of relativistic effects? I know this is borderline philosophical, but I'd like to hear theoretical contradictions to this idea as I'm not as well versed in this as I'd like to be.

Are you saying that light in ALL cases is affected by mass/bodies along the 4th dimension? Or only in some cases thus resulting in the observable non-constant speed of light?

Or have I got the wrong end of the stick?

"A man who keeps one eye on the past is blind in one eye. A man who ignores the past is blind in both."
(August 11, 2010 at 4:51 am)AnunZi Wrote:
(August 10, 2010 at 4:54 pm)ABierman1986 Wrote: I have read papers theorizing gravity as a manifestation of a higher spatial dimension, but I'd like to hear responses to this. Since increased mass implies increased gravitational effects, and gravity may be associated with higher spatial dimension is mass an indicator of the effects that 4th dimensional motion has on our perception? (I know, the logic here is very faulty, but its the line of thinking I went through to try and disprove) And could the relative movement of two bodies in this higher dimension have the consequences of relativistic effects? I know this is borderline philosophical, but I'd like to hear theoretical contradictions to this idea as I'm not as well versed in this as I'd like to be.

Are you saying that light in ALL cases is affected by mass/bodies along the 4th dimension? Or only in some cases thus resulting in the observable non-constant speed of light?

Or have I got the wrong end of the stick?

I'm strictly speaking of light in a free space, unimpeded by any medium. If we think of it as an Einstein thought experiment the idea would be two observers on spaceships (no light impedance through air or whatever), one moving very fast relative to the other in deep space. The moving one shines a flashlight straight up and the two observers measure the time it takes for the light to return. According to relativity the light will take a longer amount of time to measure based on the stationary observer than the moving one who shined the light. Also the mass of the moving ship will increase and the length will decrease.

My question is what is happening to the fabric of spacetime as one mass speeds past another, why does time slow down? An increased mass and shortened length would imply a more focused gravity well doesn't it? Since we know how light bends around gravity I thought that maybe the relativistic effects could be the result of a more focused gravity well. I'm not positive how this would correspond to the 4th dimension, but gravity's most promising contending theories that I've run across all seem to use a 4th spatial dimension. I'll try and find those papers so people can look at them.
(August 10, 2010 at 4:54 pm)ABierman1986 Wrote: Why should light travel in the way that it does? What characteristic of spacetime is the root cause of relativistic consequences? The entire argument of relativity is that time, mass and length are relative to observers frames of reference. So something about the act of moving at relatively very high speeds causes spacetime to react in a way that light travels the same speed for both perspectives.
Light travels the way it does because it does not have mass and anything without mass always travels at the speed of light. Gravity even travels at the speed of light even though it isn't so much a 'force' as it is a bend in space-time due to a massive object or whatever.
From what I understand, it's not a characteristic of space-time, but rather energy and matter or at least both.
I'm not sure if this answers your question, but this is the best answer I can give short of researching it myself.

(August 10, 2010 at 4:54 pm)ABierman1986 Wrote: Gravity has proven to 'bend' spacetime, and light will react to this curvature. My thoughts are that perhaps its the motion of the gravity wells that causes the relativistic effects, gravity is thought to travel at the speed of light, but so little is known about the mechanisms of gravity that I wonder what unknown effects it might have.
We actually know quite a bit about gravity but what we don't know is how massive objects cause gravity, exactly and the biggest frontier of 'shrug-shoulders' isofar as gravity is concerned is quantum gravity or gravity on the scale of atoms and light waves.

There are a lot of theories about gravity's precise cause but unfortunately, the key to that understanding will probably have to wait until we discover the higgs boson, discover that the higgs boson isn't real, or something about quantum gravity will unlock, I think the answers you're seeking, but this is at the edge of physics research, as far as I understand it and right now there are more questions than answers for the time being.

I share your desire to understand more about it myself, but that'll have to wait some years I suppose.
If today you can take a thing like evolution and make it a crime to teach in the public schools, tomorrow you can make it a crime to teach it in the private schools and next year you can make it a crime to teach it to the hustings or in the church. At the next session you may ban books and the newspapers...
Ignorance and fanaticism are ever busy and need feeding. Always feeding and gloating for more. Today it is the public school teachers; tomorrow the private. The next day the preachers and the lecturers, the magazines, the books, the newspapers. After a while, Your Honor, it is the setting of man against man and creed against creed until with flying banners and beating drums we are marching backward to the glorious ages of the sixteenth centry when bigots lighted fagots to burn the men who dared to bring any intelligence and enlightenment and culture to the human mind. ~Clarence Darrow, at the Scopes Monkey Trial, 1925

Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first. ~Ronald Reagan
(August 11, 2010 at 7:10 pm)ABierman1986 Wrote: My question is what is happening to the fabric of spacetime as one mass speeds past another, why does time slow down? An increased mass and shortened length would imply a more focused gravity well doesn't it? Since we know how light bends around gravity I thought that maybe the relativistic effects could be the result of a more focused gravity well

From what I understand of general relativity, its gravity it’s self that effects time. This is the theory of gravitational time dilation. Basically it states that higher gravitational potential causes time to slow down. This can be experimentally proven. Simply place 2 synced atomic clocks at differing altitudes (with a gravitational field) and over a period of time they will become out of sync.

My thoughts on this are that as space and time are (according to Einstein) one and the same thing, I.E Space-time then if you distort space with gravity you must also distort time.

"A man who keeps one eye on the past is blind in one eye. A man who ignores the past is blind in both."

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Did Einstein Say Light is Massive? Rhondazvous 25 3164 July 8, 2019 at 10:15 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Puzzling thing about Speed of Light/Speed of Causality vulcanlogician 25 2651 August 24, 2018 at 11:05 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  How Cn Gravity Affect Light When Light Has No Mass? Rhondazvous 18 1880 March 2, 2018 at 10:51 pm
Last Post: polymath257
  An Interesting thing About Light Rhondazvous 14 2391 October 31, 2017 at 5:33 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  Organic Molecules Found 400 Light Years From Earth Minimalist 364 55368 August 21, 2017 at 4:35 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  Does the Higgs Boson Enforce the CCosmic Speed Limit Rhondazvous 14 3188 July 24, 2017 at 10:40 pm
Last Post: Alex K
  Why Can't Anything Travel Faster than Light? Rhondazvous 48 6022 December 14, 2016 at 10:50 am
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  Physics questions about light bennyboy 10 2547 September 20, 2016 at 9:26 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  The speed of light and discovering RozKek 45 8164 August 11, 2016 at 2:06 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  Where does the Light Go when you Turn the Switch Off? Rhondazvous 9 1995 August 5, 2016 at 1:04 pm
Last Post: ScienceAf