Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 5:02 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The real religion?
The real religion?
We have loads of different theistic religions in the world right now. And every one of those claims to be the "real religion". They have it right, and everyone else has it wrong. They're worshipping the real god(s), in the correct way.

What would we expect to see from this? Let's pretend that one of these current religions is the real one.

Wouldn't it be absurdly obvious which one this is? Wouldn't those following the correct religion have some sort of noticable advantage? If God is doing anything at all in return for the worship it is receiving, wouldn't this be clear to all?

What I see is a bunch of people all claiming to have this amazing being on their side, yet none of them are any better off than any others because of it. I can only conclude that either none of them have it right, or God's blessings are so insignificant that I don't even notice them.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
RE: The real religion?
(July 12, 2016 at 5:15 pm)robvalue Wrote: We have loads of different theistic religions in the world right now. And every one of those claims to be the "real religion". They have it right, and everyone else has it wrong. They're worshipping the real god(s), in the correct way.

What would we expect to see from this? Let's pretend that one of these current religions is the real one.

Wouldn't it be absurdly obvious which one this is? Wouldn't those following the correct religion have some sort of noticable advantage? If God is doing anything at all in return for the worship it is receiving, wouldn't this be clear to all?

What I see is a bunch of people all claiming to have this amazing being on their side, yet none of them are any better off than any others because of it. I can only conclude that either none of them have it right, or God's blessings are so insignificant that I don't even notice them.

I would say it would follow that the one with the highest adult conversion rate would be the most compelling.
So it's a numbers game.
I am John Cena's hip-hop album.
Compelling but not necessarily right. Could a high conversion rate be due to satanic promises? That whole end of days hoodoo voodoo.

If it matters that much (and listening to theists it does) why has god not made an appearance (post jesus, when a majority of the schisms sprouted), or sent an undeniable sign saying which one is right. That must be to much for an all powerful one.

I'll go with the snake handlers. But they need to start using a shit load more snakes.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(July 12, 2016 at 5:21 pm)SteveII Wrote:
(July 12, 2016 at 5:15 pm)robvalue Wrote: We have loads of different theistic religions in the world right now. And every one of those claims to be the "real religion". They have it right, and everyone else has it wrong. They're worshipping the real god(s), in the correct way.

I would say it would follow that the one with the highest adult conversion rate would be the most compelling.

So which was the true religion before Christianity went mainstream?
I am John Cena's hip-hop album.
Adult conversion rate?

So god's gift to the correct religion is... giving people the power to persuade others to join it? That's it?

And when another religion becomes more popular, the previous one was... what? Wrong all along? One God dies and another is born?
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(July 12, 2016 at 5:51 pm)ApeNotKillApe Wrote:
(July 12, 2016 at 5:21 pm)SteveII Wrote: I would say it would follow that the one with the highest adult conversion rate would be the most compelling.

So which was the true religion before Christianity went mainstream?

If Christianity is true, that would make the Jewish religion true as well. Regarding religion BC, was there a religion in which the core contained proselytizing? I am not sure there was. It seemed it was more like "our gods are stronger than your gods...".
(July 12, 2016 at 6:11 pm)robvalue Wrote: Adult conversion rate?

So god's gift to the correct religion is... giving people the power to persuade others to join it? That's it?

And when another religion becomes more popular, the previous one was... what? Wrong all along? One God dies and another is born?

You would have to examine why Christianity is more compelling than the rest. I articulated my thoughts on this in a thread not too long ago.
well... islam, Christianity, Judaism, Hinduism, sihkism, norse, greek and summatrine religions are all 100% parallel in the person of God, the moral values, the historical compatibility and the philosophy...
so what are you saying Chainsaw. LOL
Compelling?  Christianity is repulsive.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Religion hurts homosexuality but homosexuality kills religion? RozKek 43 10600 March 30, 2016 at 2:46 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Terrorism has no religion but religion brings terrorism. Islam is NOT peaceful. bussta33 13 4869 January 16, 2016 at 8:25 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Religion's affect outside of religion Heat 67 19600 September 28, 2015 at 9:45 pm
Last Post: TheRocketSurgeon
Rainbow Gay rights within the template of religion proves flaws in "religion" CristW 288 48974 November 21, 2014 at 4:09 pm
Last Post: DramaQueen
  Religion Vs Religion. Bull Poopie 14 5160 September 8, 2010 at 9:02 pm
Last Post: Oldandeasilyconfused